10+ Year Old Account

Need help on Rift.

Alright, so I'm trying out Rift first with the Lite version, finally got it up and running. Rolled a Defiant Eth (I think) Warrior. First things first, holy mother of crap on the talent trees. So many different subclasses. I'm not really sure what to do here.

There are prebuilt soul combinations, press N to open the talent trees, and towards the bottom there is a button for the different preset options.

I'm afraid that I don't know a ton about Warrior specs, much less their levelling specs, so I will leave it to someone else to give you advice

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...arrior-guides/

^ There are a crap ton of end game specs for Warriors and also the game has a way of guiding you automatically in your soul tree now with Soul presets. You LITERALLY can not go wrong just messing around.

There are some min/max builds at end game, but for leveling you can do whatever the hell you want.

the preset combinations are great, I went with the paladin / reaver / champion and enjoy it a lot

Yeah, use the pre-built souls and follow the path they suggest. It's not always the optimal setup, but it's a very functional for leveling and gets you used to the system without completely overwhelming you. The first time I started seriously playing I got absolutely overwhelmed trying to figure out every single soul and come up with some good combinations right off the bat. Trying to plan to level 50 without some experience/knowledge/research is a headache -_-

I heard this notion of people being overwhelmed by the soul system in Rift early on. Thought it was an internet myth or at the least, fringe case among totally new players to MMOs period.

Then Trion added the per-built souls thing and I read posts on the Rift forums.

Yea. Kinda not awesome at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it was more so the idea of subclasses and everything. For example, I chose the Warrior class with the Destroyer subclass. Then I get to the Soul tree and there's 5 more different subclasses? Warlord, Reaver, and some other stuff, not sure. I don't get -that- part about the additional ones within the Soul talent trees. I went with the Champion spec and adding my points based on what it's recommending.

The 'Purposes' they added are only recent and they're just advisory builds to help newer or lesser experienced players.

Really each class has 8 Talent Trees which determine its abilities and passives.
    For instance Warriors have:
    Champion: Melee 2h Dps
    Beastmaster: Melee Dps with a Pet
    Riftblade: Melee Dps with Elemental Attacks and some mid-range capability
    Paragon: Melee Dual-wielding with some ranged capability
    Palading: Block based Tank
    Reaver: DoT based Tank
    Warlord: Tank with lots of Raid Buffs
    Void Knight: Tank with many utility skills

That's a simplification but the basic outline. But the real awesome happens when you see that a lot of Paragon passives also affect Champion abilities and vice versa so you can create a lot of useful hybrids.