Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucinela View Post
    I have to disagree with you on this one.Movie giants would stand to lose a lot of money if they would be available for stream right after premiers.Dvd and Blue Ray quality movie versions are available for free download exactly as their properties suggests - as soon as the Dvds and Blue rays are available for purchase, and they are deliberately delaying these formats so they can milk revenues on tickets sales for as long as possible , it's the main weapon movie companies have against pirating. I went to see The Hunger Games today , would i have done it still if a HD version was available online ? i couldn't tell , but probably not.
    Many people are the exact opposite. Eventually distributors will have no choice but to have multi-platform releases. TV is starting to catch up a bit. They are offering season passes for shows on iTunes commercial free.

Plus, I feel the whole 3D gimmick is just to hold on to ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Many people are the exact opposite. Eventually distributors will have no choice but to have multi-platform releases. TV is starting to catch up a bit. They are offering season passes for shows on iTunes commercial free.

Plus, I feel the whole 3D gimmick is just to hold on to ticket sales.
    I agree, but this position doesn't lead to "well, I guess I'll just illegally stream this content until they start releasing movies on the internet!" (not saying that you made that argument, of course, I just want to point out that it doesn't naturally lead there)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    I agree, but this position doesn't lead to "well, I guess I'll just illegally stream this content until they start releasing movies on the internet!" (not saying that you made that argument, of course, I just want to point out that it doesn't naturally lead there)
    They're losing business either way. People who wouldn't do anything to get it illegally still aren't going to the theatres and people that do get it illegally aren't paying anyways. With the death of DVD's and Blu-Ray's a few years off, they need a plan B. I don't see them taking steps to achieve this.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea, like most people, i got a website. But it's not entirely legal so i can't share it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    They're losing business either way. People who wouldn't do anything to get it illegally still aren't going to the theatres and people that do get it illegally aren't paying anyways. With the death of DVD's and Blu-Ray's a few years off, they need a plan B. I don't see them taking steps to achieve this.
    That's my opinion as well. However, I think that Blu-Ray's will actually live for quite some time. DVDs however are going to die out in the next few years. The Blu Ray will become the new, cheap "DVD". But this doesn't solve the problem that they one needs to wait "so long" for a new movie.

It would be fine if they'd release the DVDs like one or two weeks after the theatre premier. After all, that is actually the only time where the movie industry makes up for their expenses. After that, it is just a minor income since the biggest part of the money goes to the theatre.

I would first try to find a way to maximize your income and lower your costs. The more money you have you can then spend on such things as the theatre. I have 2 friends that are married that make more money then me but I have more money in the bank combined as they love spending it away (fooshily IMO).

Also, look for cheap nights. Here in Canada every Tuesday tickets are basically half-off. Yes, you have to wait a few days after a movie is released but half-off isn't bad. If you hate crowds go to late shows as they aren't as populated.

If that's not possible pick a couple of movies and just save for those. That way your not breaking the bank and you see a few movies.

At worst look at Pay Per View. For $5-$6 (Canadian) it's usually the same price as a DVD rental but you don't have to spend money to return it. The amount of time between a new release and PPV is ridiculous. For instance, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was released in the theaters January 20th and it's now out on DVD. That's only a 2 month gap. There are some in the industry who want it so the DVD comes out the same night so you can purchase it as your leaving the theater. If the gap keeps getting smaller they might as well.

For me the movies that are worth $10.00 I'll see in the theater and everything else I just wait til it's on tv on a normal channel.

I like going to the theater, because the screen is bigger, it's traditionally nice to eat popcorn and stuff, and I don't bother watching most movies more than once. Well, I only want to see "big movies" in the theater anyway, the rest... I see through stuff that gives me some points in the dark side.

---------- Post added 2012-03-27 at 05:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    That's my opinion as well. However, I think that Blu-Ray's will actually live for quite some time. DVDs however are going to die out in the next few years. The Blu Ray will become the new, cheap "DVD". But this doesn't solve the problem that they one needs to wait "so long" for a new movie.

It would be fine if they'd release the DVDs like one or two weeks after the theatre premier. After all, that is actually the only time where the movie industry makes up for their expenses. After that, it is just a minor income since the biggest part of the money goes to the theatre.
    I remember when it took an AGE before they came on DVD when they had been in the cinema. Also, the reason they don't release it right after, is because that it would make seeing it in the cinema pointless for some people, when they could just wait two weeks and then get it.

I find the easiest way to compare all of this "then it would be pirated" talk is to remind you all that Video games can be pirated too and don't have the luxury that Movies have when it comes to not being on DVD/Blu-ray for weeks, the game is immediately available in high quality thanks to all the underground scenes that are around.

One must wonder, how do the developers then make money if its available that quickly to be had, for free? Its because people as a whole do have a conscience and when they like something and want to show there thanks/respect to those companies that provided that to them, they generally go out and pay for it either when they get the money for it or soon after they've played it, because they understand that if people do not do that that businesses will be unable to continue making those games for us.

The same thing applies to Movies, Video games never had a "Theater" and were forced to be put on DVD instantly making them also forced to go along with the way of life that is the internet. Some people can't handle the quality that is a TS and that's really their own fault, its really not all that bad if you're a bit computer savvy and understand what Codecs not to download, ever.
    Last edited by Mahoraba; 2012-03-27 at 03:45 PM.

FOREWARD I have absolutely no facts or statistics to back up the following...the information contained is taken straight out of my ass.

I can't help but feel that Movie Theater showings of movies generate more revenue for far more people than do DVD or streaming releases. If that is true why would "they" want to release a movie into a format that would distract or dissuade customers from spending money at the theater? If a movie is only in the theater then there is a supply bottle neck. If you want to see it you go and spend 10 bucks to see it. You either spend the money or wait. Lots of people don't want to wait.

It makes no business sense to potentially limit your amount of profit.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    FOREWARD I have absolutely no facts or statistics to back up the following...the information contained is taken straight out of my ass.

I can't help but feel that Movie Theater showings of movies generate more revenue for far more people than do DVD or streaming releases. If that is true why would "they" want to release a movie into a format that would distract or dissuade customers from spending money at the theater? If a movie is only in the theater then there is a supply bottle neck. If you want to see it you go and spend 10 bucks to see it. You either spend the money or wait. Lots of people don't want to wait.

It makes no business sense to potentially limit your amount of profit.
    Just that they don't limit, but actually increase their amount of profit. As I said, I don't think that people would suddenly stop going to the theatre. On the other hand, people who dislike the theatre would buy movies on DVD on release day to enjoy them at home.

But yes, I don't have any emprical data to back up what I am saying, so take it with a grain of salt. I just as well might be the one who's wrong here.

Here is something else to consider. Movie theaters EMPLOY people. With jobs as scarce as they are you would be knocking a lot of people out of a job if movie theaters became less popular due to online streaming and thus cut backs needed to be made.

Now, I say this being one of the people who would LOVE the option to watch online. However, I realize to make the movies we all come to love there is a very high cost associated with that. And I also realize that people have jobs that support their lives. So sure, I will pay the $10 to see a movie in theaters because I am getting to watch my movie, and know that I am helping to keep people employed.

Also you are not FORCED to buy soda and popcorn...be realistic. IF you want it great, if not then that's fine too. Don't be so dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    At worst look at Pay Per View. For $5-$6 (Canadian) it's usually the same price as a DVD rental but you don't have to spend money to return it. The amount of time between a new release and PPV is ridiculous. For instance, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was released in the theaters January 20th and it's now out on DVD. That's only a 2 month gap. There are some in the industry who want it so the DVD comes out the same night so you can purchase it as your leaving the theater. If the gap keeps getting smaller they might as well.

For me the movies that are worth $10.00 I'll see in the theater and everything else I just wait til it's on tv on a normal channel.
    In some cases, movies are being shown on PPV/OnDemand before they come out in theaters. Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was on On Demand for some months before (and even during/after) its theatrical release. It was rather expensive, $10.99 USD (somewhere thereabouts)compared to the normal $5.99. The same was done for Ong Bak 3.

It really is worth looking into, because sometimes they do early releases to build hype or test the waters for foreign films. Plus, all the conveniences of watching a movie at home.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, wow. I don't even know what to answer. Wait, I know. You don't understand anything about business and why exactly things are as expensive as they are. And yes, sometimes people get into financial trouble and still do not want to give up the last piece of fun they have, aka watching some god fucking movies and be able to talk about them as long the the topic is still "in".

May I ask you how old you are if you seriously compare a BMW with a theatre visit...? Your arguments are childish beyond belief and you sound like a old bitter (wo)man =(. Is that such an abstruse idea to think that somwhere a company exists which allows you to see fresh releases on the spot for a reasonable price?

I guess it is, even tho I see no reason for such a company not to exist. All they have to do is to buy the rights and they can put the movie online.

But looks like hollywood is not selling their movies to websites like Netflix... their fault.
    Honestly, it sounds like YOU don't know anything about business and why exactly things are expensive as they are.....

Why would a movie studio authorize an online distribution of something that they expect to get ~$10 per person from in a theater, and charge less? They'd have to create infrastructure up front, and then sell their product at a lower than market rate?

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    Honestly, it sounds like YOU don't know anything about business and why exactly things are expensive as they are.....

Why would a movie studio authorize an online distribution of something that they expect to get ~$10 per person from in a theater, and charge less? They'd have to create infrastructure up front, and then sell their product at a lower than market rate?
    Lol, because you do not have to give up one business in order to enter another part of the market, that's why. It wouldn't be a problem to create licenses for online distributors. They are basicly the same for those who offer online movies which are already available as DVD purchase.

But I agree that the discussion is somehow silly, because we do not know how many people would instantly quit going to the theatre. If, let's say, 50% of the regular theatre visitors would completely switch to the online version, then yes... I would be in the wrong here; however, if not, it would actually be a pretty smart move in my eyes.

I also never though too much about the concept as a whole. I'm just spouting out ideas so don't take everything I say as hard facts...

Unfortunately there is none that I know of, probably specifically for the reason of forcing people to go to the theater.
    If there were a website of sorts that allowed you to legally watch the movie, I'm sure you would have to wait for the DVD release date regardless.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The current situation would not change in my opinion. People who enjoy the theatre will still go to the theatre, regardless of whether the movie is available online or not.

I would even go as far as to say that the overall profit would increase, since, in addition to the income created through theatre visits, people would buy the movie online and watch it at home.

Just to tell you how the sales are distributed when you go to the cinema. 25% of the money you pay flows directly to the cinema to cover their fixed costs, like electricity, etc. After a two weeks, it is already 55% and after four, it is 80%. That's the reason why they say "A threatre is not in the movie business, it's in the candy business". Why do you think do you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for popcorn? But now.....

If they would lease their movies to other online streaming companies in addition to the theatres, they could increase their overall sales because a larger population could be addressed. Not to mention that it might be one step in order to get rid of movie piracy, but thats another topic.

Also, big movies do not need to be that expensive. Avengers 220 million? How about we cut the, again, ridiculously high salaries of our "movie stars", which get like 25 million dollars for a few months of work? These numbers are astounding when you consider that just 7 years ago they would have called you mad. The pace of costs is far outpacing the requisite inflation… and there is really no excuse for it.

Studios just blast out money like it grows magically on the street; which it kind of does. We customers pay for everything after all

At the end of the day they would be able to create blockbuster movies, just as we see them today. However, if they would seriously look at their expenses and cut them... just a little bit... day-1 online releases would not "kill" the industry at all. It might even increase their profits, thus resulting in even more money for better movies.

Hell, I would even say that this would make the theatre cheaper and therefore luring even more people into it...

But, for this to happen a huge change would be needed in the whole industry, which I don't see coming myself...
    One word answer to this whole debacle.

Markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
    Here is something else to consider. Movie theaters EMPLOY people. With jobs as scarce as they are you would be knocking a lot of people out of a job if movie theaters became less popular due to online streaming and thus cut backs needed to be made.

Now, I say this being one of the people who would LOVE the option to watch online. However, I realize to make the movies we all come to love there is a very high cost associated with that. And I also realize that people have jobs that support their lives. So sure, I will pay the $10 to see a movie in theaters because I am getting to watch my movie, and know that I am helping to keep people employed.

Also you are not FORCED to buy soda and popcorn...be realistic. IF you want it great, if not then that's fine too. Don't be so dramatic.
    If you don't buy the over priced soda and popcorn the theatre will eventually go out of business.

It's over-priced because anywhere between 90-100% of ticket sales go to the producer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If you don't buy the over priced soda and popcorn the theatre will eventually go out of business.

It's over-priced because anywhere between 90-100% of ticket sales go to the producer.
    Read one of my previous posts. I've already stated how much of the theatres income goes to the producers. It can go up to 85%, but only during the first week. Every week after that, it decreases by aprox 20% until it eventually reaches aprox 20%. A few weeks later, the movie isn't in the theatre anymore.

But you are right, without the overpriced extras, a theatre CAN'T survive. That's why I also said that the industry as a whole needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgetjones View Post
    I don't know how old you are, but we used to have to wait YEARS for the movie to just come on tv (edited for time and formatted to fit this screen). Then we had to wait a few years for the VHS, which cost upwards of a hundo when they were new.
    I remember being so excited when it was announced that Jurassic Park was coming out on VHS.

Deleted
    I'm sorry to disagree, but if you don't want to go to the movie theatre, then wait untill the dvd come's out (or watch it for free on the internet).

Movie theatre releases are what brings in the most money for a movie, especially with everyone watching everything online for free, if you would be able to pay on the internet to watch a movie on release, then there would be a free alternative.

And I don't want people to stop making movies.
    (Or godforbid, adverstising in the movie)