Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Level needed to max a proffesion

Seen alot of answers for this...anybody knows for sure ?
    I'm asking about the level of the character.
    Last edited by mmoc618dbb5529; 2012-03-27 at 02:32 PM.

It increases by 75 per expansion usually. It's 525 now in Cata, so probably 600. (Assuming you're talking about MoP)

For clarification: Each level of training requires 75 points to max.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-03-27 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he means what is the level required of a character to purchase each increase of profession skill, since to learn a profession 1-75 you need to be level 10 (I think)?

The title is a bit ambiguous I will admit.

600, plus I think I saw that exact number in the achievement datamining, can't remember, but there's no reason for them to change the pretty adequate 75 inscrease steps.
    edit: Arch0s made me realise the question, I dont know

Deleted
    I'm asking about the level of the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch0s View Post
    The title is a bit ambiguous I will admit.
    I knew what his question was on the spot, maybe because I have the same question. Let me try to reformulate it:

What level does a character need to be in order to max a profession (or in other words, to get it to 525)?

Deleted
    You need to be 75 before you can do the Cata stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miruim View Post
    I knew what his question was on the spot, maybe because I have the same question. Let me try to reformulate it:

What level does a character need to be in order to max a profession (or in other words, to get it to 525)?
    Right now? Think it's 75, cant remember. It's definitely not 85. Could be 80 though.

IIRC, you must be level 75 to train the last segment of the proffesion and unlock the Illustrious skill points (450-525). I don't think there is any level requirement to actually hit 525 once you have trained Illustrious, although in some cases, being higher level will obviously make things easier.

Also, it depends slightly on the profession. Gathering professions will probably just get you killed if you try mining/herbing, for example, in Twilight Highlands at level 75. Skinning even moreso, since you either need to be able to kill the mobs yourself or have someone follow you around supplying you with corpses.

Crafting professions originally required going to Highlands to buy the final set of recipes, although that has since been changed and all recipes are now available in capital cities.

Level 10 = Apprentice 1-75
    Level 15 = Journeyman 75-150
    Level 20 = Expert 150-225
    Level 30 = Artisan 225-300
    Level 60 = Master 300-375
    Level 70 = Grand Master 375-450
    Level 80 = Illustrious 450-525

TL;DR = Level 80/85 depending on the profession.

EDIT: The above poster is correct, while it may be possible to level gathering professions to 85 at level 80, this would be extremely difficult as the mobs in the areas where the nodes/skinnable mobs are residing at the level appropriate skill are going to be 83+. As for the crafting professions the recipes usually require level 85 to learn, or level 500+ in the profession as such i imagine roughly 510 is the maximum possible level that can be gained at level 80 for crafting professions. For secondary professions i believe all can be maxed at level 80 with relative ease excluding cooking, where the daily quests have a level 85 requirement.

TL;DR again = Level your char to 85 and stop slacking.
    Last edited by Declaron; 2012-03-27 at 03:03 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Declaron View Post
    Level 10 = Apprentice 1-75
    Level 15 = Journeyman 75-150
    Level 20 = Expert 150-225
    Level 30 = Artisan 225-300
    Level 60 = Master 300-375
    Level 70 = Grand Master 375-450
    Level 80 = Illustrious 450-525

TL;DR = Level 80/85 depending on the profession.

EDIT: The above poster is correct, while it may be possible to level gathering professions to 85 at level 80, this would be extremely difficult as the mobs in the areas where the nodes/skinnable mobs are residing at the level appropriate skill are going to be 83+. As for the crafting professions the recipes usually require level 85 to learn, or level 500+ in the profession as such i imagine roughly 510 is the maximum possible level that can be gained at level 80 for crafting professions. For secondary professions i believe all can be maxed at level 80 with relative ease excluding cooking, where the daily quests have a level 85 requirement.

TL;DR again = Level your char to 85 and stop slacking.
    Incorrect. You can train Illustrious at level 75.

Not sure how you read that the poster is slacking, they may well have lots of mats available and are levelling an alt, asking to find out at what level they can max out a profession isn't showing laziness.

Deleted
    I'm looking into leveling Alchemy and JC. Possible on a level 80 to get all recipes ?

It's level 75 for 525 and 80 for 600 (MoP).
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Xantrus View Post
    Incorrect. You can train Illustrious at level 75.

Not sure how you read that the poster is slacking, they may well have lots of mats available and are levelling an alt, asking to find out at what level they can max out a profession isn't showing laziness.
    Incorrect.

You can learn the illustrious skill at level 75, however you cannot max the profession to 525.

So in response to the OP's question "What level do i need to be to max my profession?" The answer differs dependant on the profession, but you cannot max any profession to 525 at level 75, or at least not without great difficulty.

If he can be arsed to level a character to 75 and invest in levelling his profession sup to 475, then he can be arsed to get his char to 85 and his profession to 525, if he can't, he's lazy.
    Last edited by Declaron; 2012-03-27 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Declaron View Post
    You can learn the illustrious skill at level 75, however you cannot max the profession to 525.

So in response to the OP's question "What level do i need to be to max my profession?" The answer differs dependant on the profession, but you cannot max any profession to 525 at level 75, or at least not without great difficulty.
    It depends on the profession really. Some of them, specifically: Tailoring, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Enchanting, and I think Engineering (not positive on Engi) basically need a character level of 84 to max because you have to be 84 to do open up the city that sells the 500-525 recipes.

Others, like Alchemy and Jewelcrafting do not need access to the final Twilight Highlands city. Jewelcrafting needs to do the dailies to get tokens and alchemy just straight up gets a pass on any hoops to jump through. The only "difficulty" comes in going to the AH to buy the mats and then to the mailbox to pick them up.

---------- Post added 2012-03-27 at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    I'm looking into leveling Alchemy and JC. Possible on a level 80 to get all recipes ?
    Yes, alchemy and jewelcrafting are two of the professions that are "easy" to max out on a level 80.
    Last edited by Hoticehunter; 2012-03-28 at 02:29 AM.
    ಠ_ಠ

Deleted
    LOL I thought the OP was being incredibly rude, but then I see all the responses who failed to answer his question. Is that the fault of the OP or people not reading.

You can level a profession when you are 75. I left my Priest at that level for a while for Inscription dailies.
    And eventually he was fully leveled (with my druid farming the herbs for him).

You need to be level 75 to max any profession in the game. If you would like proof then please check my warrior! (Malamort is the name. Can't link due to low post count.) If you look at her achievements you will see that I maxed two professions on 12/01/2011 and I did not hit level 85 until 2/02/2012! I dinged her 75, maxed out her professions (engineering and blacksmith), and then didn't touch her again until well over a month later.

@Declaron (and others). Seriously people check your facts before trying to show someone up for being wrong.

You only need to be 75 in order to max out your profession at level 525. This applies to all professions in the game. Gathering professions and archaeology will be more difficult and time-consuming than the rest, but it is possible. Most people who play the auction house will have an army of level 75 crafters, and some players have several level 75 alchemists just for the transmute cooldowns.

While it is true that certain vendors were locked away in Twilight Highlands this changed in a very early patch when the patterns and mats that were exclusive to those vendors were then added elsewhere in the game. Despite that, in some cases (certainly Tailoring and Engineering) those vendors were not required in order to get to level 525 - I know because I levelled both to 525 without leaving Stormwind. I got realm first for Tailoring 525 without taking a single quest on the launch of Cata, and I only missed realm first for Engineering 525 by a few minutes.

And I'll say again, early screens from the beta show that you need to be level 80 in order to earn the MoP profession levels (to 600). It remains to be seen whether any quests or anything will prevent you from actually getting profession skills to 600 at level 80.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!