internet randomly disconnects...alot.

so lately my internet has been disconnecting while playing games on it( WoW, LoL ) happens alot more if there is more activity in my house such as a friend over on his laptop. i just bought a new tower and it happens on that aswell as my laptop. contacted provider and they say everything is running fine so not sure what is. not sure if it could be the router or modem or both. any suggestions would be a big help before buying somthing that wont help. At&t is my provider btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it happen in all applications? or just a few?
    What OS are you using?
    How are you connecting to your router/modem?

I had this happen to me with comcast. Contacted them and they said the modem was timing out (we would DC anywhere from once every few hours to every half hour). They replaced the modem and everything is fine now.

You can make a batch file with this in it:

Code:
    @echo off
    set Address=72.14.204.101
    :Loop
    echo Pinging %Address%
    ping %Address% | find /i "bytes="  > nul && goto Loop
    echo Trace route %Address%
    tracert %Address%
    goto Loop
    That should start a ping to google.com, and when it fails will automatically run a trace route to see exactly where your connection out ends (your modem for example)

When you get these DCs, what does the taskbar on your pc say? Mine always said "No Internet", implying the router was fine (verified by changing routers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurikar
    If you want to play the game how you want, do so, but don't do it with me. If you wanna play super mario brothers and just jump up and down until the clock runs out and you die, by all means do it when I'm not player two and waiting for you to stop being an asshole.

I've been having a similar problem with Time Warner/Roadrunner for the past few months, it would cut out and the only way to reestablish a connection was power cycling the modem. It wasn't happening frequently enough for me to care until last week, when it started happening multiple times an hour. I verified that it wasn't the router by connecting my PC directly to the modem, and I verified that it wasn't my PC by then connecting my laptop directly to the modem.

I then contacted them via their online chat, and the rep reset my modem's connection to their server, it hasn't happened again since, which is surprising to me, because I've never even heard of such a thing (resetting the connection to their server).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-29 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming all else fails... disable IPv6 to see if that helps.. No one ever suggests it and the ISP finds it very difficult to track this issue... Only thing my ISP managed to find on this issue was the switch "flip flopping" or rather just "flopping" don't ask me what that means... but until IPv6 finally makes its full roll out and IPv4 is abolished... (maybe 20years from now? the way things are going?) Don't really need it.

Deleted
    Silly question, maybe, but do you have wireless internet? I use wired internet, cause it's more reliable than wireless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elleanor View Post
    Silly question, maybe, but do you have wireless internet? I use wired internet, cause it's more reliable than wireless.
    comment likes these just side step the problem and dont help. I've been having the same problem since i changed to ATT and just stopped looking for help because this was the only answer i got, even from ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    comment likes these just side step the problem and dont help. I've been having the same problem since i changed to ATT and just stopped looking for help because this was the only answer i got, even from ATT.
    It is helpful to know if this only occurs on wireless, but the issue need to be resolved or at least the cause needs to be identified regardless. For instance, if you can prove the wireless adapter isn't working correctly you can then choose to just use wired or replace it.

Judging from the OP though, he is wired or has at least wired to test it (saying he plugged directly to the modem).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurikar
    If you want to play the game how you want, do so, but don't do it with me. If you wanna play super mario brothers and just jump up and down until the clock runs out and you die, by all means do it when I'm not player two and waiting for you to stop being an asshole.

go on www.pingtest.net and post us your findings, lets see if anything weird comes out from there

i got b rating from that

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 01:44 PM ----------

i notice the dissconnect obviously becuase me game freezes but my skpye will disconnect and thats where i can tell that i lose connection. i dont have to do anything to reconnect it it will come back anywhere between 3-20 secsonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Felroy View Post
    happens alot more if there is more activity in my house such as a friend over on his laptop.
    When you get dcd more often while your body is on his lap top, does he also get dcd? Or just YOUR tower/lap top?

I, and a similar thread on this forum about a month ago were having a similar problem. Resolved by replacing the cables. Mine also only started when i got a new PC, using all the same cables.

Quote Originally Posted by xfloggingkylex View Post
    It is helpful to know if this only occurs on wireless, but the issue need to be resolved or at least the cause needs to be identified regardless. For instance, if you can prove the wireless adapter isn't working correctly you can then choose to just use wired or replace it.

Judging from the OP though, he is wired or has at least wired to test it (saying he plugged directly to the modem).
    it happens using wired or wireless. wired plugged into router

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    When you get dcd more often while your body is on his lap top, does he also get dcd? Or just YOUR tower/lap top?

I, and a similar thread on this forum about a month ago were having a similar problem. Resolved by replacing the cables. Mine also only started when i got a new PC, using all the same cables.
    dc happens to both of us or to everyone using it. like if someone else is watching a video on youtube for instance, it will stop buffering for the time of disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by Felroy View Post
    dc happens to both of us or to everyone using it. like if someone else is watching a video on youtube for instance, it will stop buffering for the time of disconnect
    Sounds like the modem, router, or the cable between the 2 then.

Cable modems tend to be quite finicky with regards to signal strength... http://www.speedguide.net/articles/c...al-levels-1197 summarizes the optimal values which can usually be found on your modem's configuration pages (192.168.100.1 for mine, different for different modems). I was having issues with my downstream signal being too high, causing random disconnects. Threw a splitter on the line to weaken the signal, and it has been rock solid since.

Alternatively call up your cable provider and threaten to cancel... See how fast they send a tech out .

10+ Year Old Account
    its your router timing out had the same thing happen
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

thank you everyone for help. much appreciated

Bypass. The. Router.