Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Priest mystery talents have been revealed

For the people who haven't noticed them yet the 2 mystery talents previously missing have been now added (or so it seems):

Cascade

40 yd range
    25 sec cooldown

Launches a Holy bolt at the target that grows in power as it travels, which causes up to 1 damage to an enemy, or up to 1 healing to an ally.

This effect can bounce from allies to other allies, or from enemies to other enemies. Each time it bounces it will split into 2 bolts, preferring farther away targets, and never hitting the same target twice. Cascade can bounce up to 4 times.

Halo

30 yd range
    2 sec cast 1 min cooldown

Creates a ring of Holy energy around you that quickly expands and grows in power, up to 30 yds away. Deals up to 1 Holy damage to enemies, and up to 1 healing to allies, with the greatest effect at 25 yds.

In addition halo doesn't seem to be castable at shadowform, but Dark Halo (does the same thing as halo except the damage is shadow instead of holy) currently exists in the database as well which should be.

Feel free to discuss from my point of view these seem some rather interesting talent concepts. Would also like to point out that i'm not in the beta yet so i have no idea if the spells actually exist in this beta build since they have been discovered from the database.
    Last edited by Isheria; 2012-03-29 at 07:11 AM.

These spells are terrible. Just pitifully bad. All this development time and this is all they could come up with?

The neglect is getting really fucking old.

What I think, constructively.
    Last edited by Annesh; 2012-03-30 at 09:33 AM.

im confused about the halo, will it damage things inside the halo or only when the halo goes through them, if its only when it goes through them, sounds kinda terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Grath View Post
    im confused about the halo, will it damage things inside the halo or only when the halo goes through them, if its only when it goes through them, sounds kinda terrible
    I assume it does damage as it hits them. Too early to tell if this will be bad because we don't know how much damage/healing it's going to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Stand up. You jut defeated gravity.

but dont you think positioning of this ability would be a nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Annesh View Post
    These spells are terrible. Just pitifully bad. All this development time and this is all they could come up with?

Ok, imagine that tooltip again but replace the 1's with maybe, 50,000?
    They've already said the item squish isn't happening, everyone's going to be doing damage in the region of 100's of k's, and from what I see, from a DPS angle you could cast this then go back to spamming your mind sear (or whatever your AoE's called)

But, yea, it says 1 damage because its been datamined, so the tooltip has no spellpower to calculate off. Its probably still NYI so they will put it in and balance it at a later stage of the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Grath View Post
    but dont you think positioning of this ability would be a nightmare?
    A case of Starfall I guess.. Only hit the button if there no trash packs in sight. :P
    Last edited by thunterman; 2012-03-29 at 07:23 AM.

No, the positioning nightmare of Halo is finding that 25-30 yard sweet spot.
    In any fight where there is lots of stacking, the ability basically will suck.

Unless Halo is targettable, I'm not a fan of it at all. The 1 min CD is also pretty horrid

Cascade looks interesting, but without seeing it in action it's hard to say. I can see it being quite useful in very spread out situations.

Halo: New. Creates a ring of Holy energy around you that quickly expands and grows in power, up to 30 yds away. Deals up to 18487 to 30811 Holy damage to enemies, and up to 0 healing to allies, with the greatest effect at 25 yds. 28% of Base Mana, 30 yd range, 2 sec cast, 60 sec cooldown.

No idea on how much healing it does yet, but id say the shadow halo would probly do more damage and less healing

No, the positioning nightmare of Halo is finding that 25-30 yard sweet spot.
    In any fight where there is lots of stacking, the ability basically will suck.

Unless Halo is targettable, I'm not a fan of it at all. The 1 min CD is also pretty horrid

Cascade looks interesting, but without seeing it in action it's hard to say. I can see it being quite useful in very spread out situations.
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Ok, imagine that tooltip again but replace the 1's with maybe, 50,000?
    I'm not stupid enough to think it's actually going to do one point of damage; I assumed it would do pretty good damage/healing, maybe even strong or very strong.

However, it's just damage/healing. There's nothing imaginative or interesting about it. Look at 90% of the other talents in the game already, they are powerful, interesting, and many profoundly change the way their classes play. They are game-changers. These are just AoE spells. Cascade goes about it kind of neat, making it feel like a chain-lightning thing, but it's still just damage/healing. And Halo is actually just bad; 2 second cast, 1 min cooldown, point-blank aoe? It could do a billion damage and be unambiguously overpowered and I'd still call it boring/uninteresting/bad.
    Last edited by Annesh; 2012-03-29 at 07:48 AM.

Why does it do more damage when further away? thats just stupid! Altho the cascade mechanics sound kinda cool, bit like supercharged pom
    Congratulations, you've conformed to societies idea of a non-conformist!

as a shadow, i think it's highly necessary for these spells to have a shadow counterpart. or else, they're turning the tree into healers arena, and a mediocre one. i read somewhere that divine star has one that says "unleashes a bla bla bla shadow energy".

In Beta priest stream, Vow of unity replaced to Cascade, and Halo is new our lv 90 talent.

Look at 90% of the other talents in the game already, they are powerful, interesting, and many profoundly change the way their classes play. They are game-changers. These are just AoE spells.
    You clearly didn't see the druid talents - they're among the most boring and/or useless in the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by stormgust View Post
    You clearly didn't see the druid talents - they're among the most boring and/or useless in the entire game.
    You mean Wild Charge that actually adds Intervene for unshifted and Disengage for Moonkins? And Faerie Swarm, a ranged 50% snare? What about Disorienting Roar, a 30 sec cooldown 3 second AoE blind usable in any form? You can choose between that and a slightly less powerful Hammer of Justice, if you want. Or a massive AoE vortex that messes with the positioning of a whole bunch of people at once and snares them, a completely new ability type? Most of the 2-3 minute cooldowns are very powerful, too.

Granted there are a few boring talents in the druid tree, but even those are at least valuable (Feline Swiftness, Nature's Swiftness). Even the actual bad choices (Soul of the Forest) are just bad choices in a tier of attractive choices.

To be fair I quite like Halo...

In pvp : you have some melee beating on you, cast Halo, start running towards the edge, you have a heal that does progressively more damage to the person beating on you as it heals you more and more...

In pve : while it might not be ideal in stacking situations, it is definitely not bad... with a ranged+ melee group you can position yourself inbetween groups to cast it and make sure both groups get a higher amount of healing... it means more healing for "outliers" and we always have those in raids... hunters, mages etc. that even when bunched up are still further away than the rest and occasionally miss out on the smaller-ranged ground aoe heals. I also feel it will add a slight level of difficulty to playing a priest to the maximum of its potential, which to be fair is something that the class seems to have been lacking lately...

If I am to be honest I like both these spells... I'm digging the damage/healing concept and I definitely like the slightly more dynamic aspect of healing rather than just standing and turreting all your spells...

Finally, I like the mid and mid-low CD durations, I've always felt priests sort of missed these kind of spells...

Are they the best spells EVER? Maybe not, but in all honesty I am not quite sure what people really expect when they claim they want more "interesting" spells. I find these to be surely interesting, they add another layer to your play-style an they fill a niche that priests didn't really have, which is really, all that I could ask from a new talent.

If you look at the talents you can pick overall, you realize that they can actually change your play-style quite a bit with various small CDs to manage, positioning spells and so forth...

Deleted

Because all they've done is think up these 3 new spells, amirite?

Get a grip, they have done SO much else that takes a lot more time and is potentially a lot more useless!

On topic, I look very much forward to testing these myself. They sound awesome, so I hope they are :-)

Deleted
    From what I've seen halo doesn't work as a growing sanctuary, I think it's more like a wave, as it apparently does 1 tick of damage/healing per target (not a damage/healing per second within it). This would mean that it cant be used in pvp im that way (even more when it has 2sec cast time).

If it really works this way it's probably much more effective, because it shouldn't suffer from reduction due to stacking (+6 targets) and would affect almost the whole raid, even when they are not stacked. It's a good tool for an emergency raid heal, maybe not as powerful as a full fledged raid-healing cooldown, but as a raid-wide PoH.

However, I do not have a clear idea about the way it works, so I'm not sure about this, maybe I'm misunderstanding it. How do you see it?

Edit: nvm, after reading about cascade I saw it didn't work that way
    Last edited by mmoc3d05ee6dd7; 2012-03-29 at 10:16 AM.

I don't understand; are these talents in lieu of some other talents? Are they taking other talents out to make room for these ones? Or is there an updated talent tree I haven't seen. The one on the WoW site*doesn't appear to have any missing talents, but doesn't include these ones either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Because all they've done is think up these 3 new spells, amirite?
    What is there to think up? They do nothing we can't already do. They don't address any of our problems. They're situational at best, clunky and hard to use at worst. What's the purpose of making us try to "sweet-spot" stuff with Halo? The huge majority of AoE in PvE is done while stacked up, when everything is very close. And in PvP everything is chaotic and impossible to predict, which you'd have to do anyway because it has a 2 second cast.

Development time is best spent actually considering what a class needs and creating ways to fill those holes. We already have plenty of ways to do AoE damage and/or healing. We didn't need new ones. It makes me wonder if they even know what we need.

And for the record, there are 2 spells. Dark Halo is just the Shadow version of Halo. Did you not notice that or did you think your point would look better with a 3 instead of a 2?

As a Warlock, I feel really, really bad for you guys. You deserve better.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.