Thread: GW2 content

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannaya View Post
    You've first hand experience of a geared level 80 doing early level content ? Its a legitimate concern because no-one knows how its going to play out yet.
    I'm going off of ArenaNet's own admission, and the fact that they're against trivializing content, so based on ArenaNet's statements and design philosophy I came to the logical conclusion that a level 80 going back to a starting zone and being down scaled to level 10 (although the "starting zones" go up to level 15) wouldn't be able to AoE-one-shot everything like a level 80 in WoW going back to a WoW starting zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

So then your peddling assumptions like facts with nothing to base them on. For all you know all the available content could be faceroll easy at level, nvm with the advantage of increased stats,gear and skills.
    You are talking like we don't have a lot of footage and assurances from people who played the game in beta and at cons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It doesn't need to be 80, you will be scaled down the same as a 23 to lets say lvl 10 to an 80 to level 10.

Only difference is you probably unlocked more skills at 80 though that doesn't mean it makes content easier, just variety of play.
    No you wont. ArenaNet have already said an 80 would be more powerful when scaled down than say a 50 when scaled down due to the way they scale down the stats andf the way stats increase on gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    You can't go back and be challenged by anything in the leveling process currently, and none of the raids in WOTLK and down is hard for you either. In Guild Wars 2, you can return to the first level zones, and not one shot everything instantly.
    In addition to this, people have to consider what they're actually calling "content" in world of warcraft. Most of the content they add every expansion is leveling area on release, or dungeons/raids you only do for maybe 6 months each.

Every time you get leveling content, what is it? Normally some boring bulls**t you don't even take the time to read about. The lore is nice after you get around level 30 or so, but even then, it's a drag to do all the farming quests.

Every time you get raid/dungeon content, what is it? Most likely some fairly good boss design for dungeons, heroics offering a good challenge for a while, but it becomes somewhat boring your tenth time running Heroic ZA to be raid ready. As for raids, we all know Blizzard does a fairly good job (some times better than others) in designing new content. It's flashy, usually pretty difficult at least when you're doing the regular/heroic versions instead of LFR, and offer some pretty sick armor designs as rewards. But after those 6 months of dragging through the same stuff, then what? You can't do it again when you get bored of the next 6 months (or more) 'worth' of content. It's all lost to the past.

In GW2, the world will be much larger, featuring some insanely intense fights from as early as level 15 (from what I've seen) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKFqzRhXKs - Not only this, but the first time you level through, despite having seemingly endless challenging content while you're there, you could come back after you hit level cap and either have the bosses learn new mechanics if there are more people there the second time, or see a whole new set of events altogether. The entire landmass is ever-evolving and challenging, unlike WoW where you get a cheap 'thrill' for 6 months at a time, getting bored about 1/3 of the way in, then asked to move on.

So ask yourself this: What actually defines "content"? Then move on to decide where you'd get more from for what price in the long run.

No you wont. ArenaNet have already said an 80 would be more powerful when scaled down than say a 50 when scaled down due to the way they scale down the stats andf the way stats increase on gear.
    They said nothing of the sorts, you are scaled down to the level of the zone. Higher level characters however will be scaled 3 levels up from the zone however.

So a 23 will scale to level 10 in a lvl 7 zone and a lvl 80 will scale to level 10 in a lvl 7 zone with the same ratio of stats. You have better customized options of stats at 80 but that's it.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...&postcount=109
    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-29 at 09:35 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

You may have a slight advantage due to the increase in the actual rate of stat increase over your leveling experience, but not to the point where you're saying, "Hm, this is unusually easy, I'm not enjoying myself."

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    So... 13 years of development versus 5. Pretty obvious answer is WoW.
    But again look back to what started all this crazy shenanigans(new supertroopers coming out) what game had more content and all i was pointing out was if you played wow from start you would have experienced more content from wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Silly question, but are we talking about content that is relevant to the character or the player? People bring up the downscaling/upscaling/sidekicking system. There it is. The Sidekicking system as a reason that the content always stays relevant. If we look at it from the Character's perspective, they have already gone through this, now they are magically reduced in statue and sent through it again. So, it's not relevant content at all. From the player's perspective, we have the same issue. It's content they have already done. It's little more than a fancy way to play an alt.
    So it's not relevant because they've done it already? By using that logic a WoW raid isn't relevant after you do it once either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    So it's not relevant because they've done it already? By using that logic a WoW raid isn't relevant after you do it once either.
    Its not really, thats why there is so much anger at the lfr/normal/hc mode raid model and its certainly why my interest in raiding waned and why i didnt like SWTOR end-game either. But they have the advantage that you have to keep repeating it to get the gear you want for the next tier. I fear with GW2 i will level up, complete the dungeon modes 1 time for each path as i go and then stop playing till they release something new.

Silly question, but are we talking about content that is relevant to the character or the player? People bring up the downscaling/upscaling/sidekicking system. There it is. The Sidekicking system as a reason that the content always stays relevant. If we look at it from the Character's perspective, they have already gone through this, now they are magically reduced in statue and sent through it again. So, it's not relevant content at all. From the player's perspective, we have the same issue. It's content they have already done. It's little more than a fancy way to play an alt.
    Actually, no. Dynamic Events can branch out differently, and there is some events you might not have seen while you leveled there. Also, the events seems to be okay to do more than once, since they are designed to not seem like a very specific raid on a town (for instance), since the leaders won't have any other name than "Centaur Chieftain" or something. It might seem weird, but it does make it seem like a new raid on town by the centaurs again, instead of "Lord Hurrdurg has been resurrected to try to take over the city again!"

That's implying that the main leveling content in any mmo is challenging at any point, be it at the appropriate level or otherwise. Elwyn forest wasn't challenging at levels 1-10, at 85 it just goes by quicker. Plus running low level content in GW2 will be easier than it was on-level anyway, they've repeatedly said that an 80 scaled down to level 10 will be much more powerful than a level 10 due to skills, gear and the way they downscale the stats based on percentages. Early content may not be trivial when your max-level but if it wasnt too challenging when you were level appropriate, it certainly wont be challenging then.
    Are you implying that the leveling content in WoW was never challenging? Because I know, I personally found quests here and there quite challenging at times, before they nerfed everything to hell in Wrath and Cata. I expect GW2 to be the same, a large amount of relatively easy DEs with a small but decent amount of challenging content littered about Tyria

Its not really, thats why there is so much anger at the lfr/normal/hc mode raid model and its certainly why my interest in raiding waned and why i didnt like SWTOR end-game either. But they have the advantage that you have to keep repeating it to get the gear you want for the next tier. I fear with GW2 i will level up, complete the dungeon modes 1 time for each path as i go and then stop playing till they release something new.
    As far as I know, there is some small dynamic events within the dungeons themselves to make they variate? I saw TotalBiscuit fight some Spider Queen that wasn't always going to be there on every run.

I have no idea where your logic is coming from. It's not like you'll be doing the same missions over and over again. The events are constantly scaling up and down depending on the people your with, not to mention the insanely massive variety of events in the first place. If there is anything repeatable, at least it will make sense to be doing it more than once (such as bolstering a keep/resource center's defenses or driving back returning streams of enemies), sometimes opening up different chains of new events, and offer rewards that are still relevant for your level capped character.

By saying "little more than a fancy way to play an alt", I'm getting the idea of playing a WoW alt, where you're grinding on boring crap for an ungodly amount of time. This isn't boring, it isn't easy, and there's absolutely tons of varying events to encounter wherever and whenever you go out.

Why do you fear that? Do you need that gear grind to keep you playing? The beauty of the this games design is that you can take a month or few off, come back and you won't lose ground to other players due to the gear inflation that is in most other mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Are you implying that the leveling content in WoW was never challenging? Because I know, I personally found quests here and there quite challenging at times, before they nerfed everything to hell in Wrath and Cata. I expect GW2 to be the same, a large amount of relatively easy DEs with a small but decent amount of challenging content littered about Tyria
    I used to think the same, until I saw the amount of times people were dying in the level 30 zones, sometimes even before that when you can fight the Shadow Behemoth at level 15. Still, everything seemed straightforward. However, imagine having 50 levels more after that of even more intense difficulty, followed by a handful of level 80 only zones filled with insanely challenging events mostly built for large groups and coordinated efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Why do you fear that? Do you need that gear grind to keep you playing? The beauty of the this games design is that you can take a month or few off, come back and you won't lose ground to other players due to the gear inflation that is in most other mmos.
    Whats wrong with wanting content? Why does he have to stop playing gw2 and go to diff game and wait for content. Hoping they add dungeons to cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    Whats wrong with wanting content? Why does he have to stop playing gw2 and go to diff game and wait for content. Hoping they add dungeons to cash shop.
    Nothing wrong with it. But no game has an endless supply of content.

So if a character protects a town once, if it gets attacked again, that isn't relevant because, hey, I already protected it once. If that's the character's perspective, that character is a douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    Have to? He doesn't have to, if he seriously is only going to run dungeons, that too bad for him. It has no subscription fee, so you can always leave the game for some time and come back any time you want. Also, why dungeons to the cash shop when you can add it to the game? It WILL have patches y'know. They will have a "patch team" and an "expansion team" as far as I know.

Pretty sure their cash shop policy doesn't wish this either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Nothing wrong with it. But no game has an endless supply of content.
    Endless supply of content is not the same thing as content never becoming irrelevant.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic