Thread: Temps

Temps

Can anyone explain this? Just installed a new mobo+processor+RAM and I'm getting some wild temperature fluctuations. Basically, I'm idling around 27c~ and under load, going north of 85c. It would probably hit 90+ if it wasn't for stopping prime95 in fear of frying my cpu. Temp in BIOS is 40-41~ which is completely normal since speedstep isn't enabled outside of Windows.

It's a stock i5-2500 with a stock cooler, and a (q67) DQ67SW motherboard.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about. Please keep in mind the temps aren't idling since I'm running fraps to record it. But without fraps running, all cores register around 27-28c before running prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYV69Z9M07Q

What's causing such a gigantic range in temp change? I can't comprehend why I would idle at normal temps if something were wrong with the heatsink's seating, etc.

Things I've done:

1. Reseated heatsink numerous times with arctic silver.
    2. Flashed BIOS to latest firmware.
    3. Manually pressed down on the heatsink fan while under load (no change in temps) to rule out seating issues.
    4. Downloaded every program under the sun to monitor temperatures. They're all reporting the same thing.

Could my motherboard's temperature sensors be buggy?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't fry your CPU at 90-100C.. It shuts off at 98C to prevent any damage anyways. I would get thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5 at a local Radioshack. Also verify that the pins are secure into the motherboard for the heatsink.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    What's causing such a gigantic range in temp change? I can't comprehend why I would idle at normal temps if something were wrong with the heatsink's seating, etc.

Things I've done:

1. Reseated heatsink numerous times with arctic silver.
    2. Flashed BIOS to latest firmware.
    3. Manually pressed down on the heatsink fan while under load (no change in temps) to rule out seating issues.
    4. Downloaded every program under the sun to monitor temperatures. They're all reporting the same thing.

Could my motherboard's temperature sensors be buggy?
    What case are you using? HSF and Thermal paste doesn't mean jack if you put it in a relatively closed off box.

I doubt sensors are buggy, if they're buggy, they're buggy all the time, not some of the time. Also, most Arctic silver TP has a curing time, which may keep your temps up there until it cures.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I've double checked the back plate to make sure the push pins were all the way through. I'm also running on a NZXT m59 fully loaded with 5 fans, including an intake on the side panel. I even pumped up the exhaust fans to full blast to give myself negative airflow, so I don't think it's an airflow issue.

As far as curing time, I took that into consideration. What's throwing me off is that previously I was running an i3 2100 in the case. After installing that and testing as soon as it was running, I was getting similar idle temps, but only 55c~ under load. Granted (I think) the 2100 is a 65w TDP chip, but I never see the 2500 go above 65w anyway.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics