New Computer Build - thoughts?

Hey all - first time here, sorry if I don't do this right.

I am in Australia and my max budget on the PC is $1800 (not including the monitor). I have configured this PC on Computer Alliance and I just wanted some feedback on it (any changes to the parts).

I will be using it for gaming - mainly WoW, Guild Wars 2 and with a few others like Skyrim, Warhammer 40k: Space Marine and various FPS games. I would like most (if not all) games to run at the highest possible settings or as close to the highest as I can get it.

Updated to recommended.

Case: Thermaltake ATX Level 10 GTS Case Black (No PSU) PN VO300A1W2N
    CPU: Intel S1155 Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core CPU UNLOCKED
    MOBO: MSI S1155 ATX Z68A-GD65 Motherboard
    RAM: DDR3 8GB (2x4G) Corsair 2000MHz Ram Kit
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX560 Ti 1GB Gigabyte Overclocked PCIe Video Card PN GV-N560OC-1GI
    Cooling: Zalman CNPS12X S2011 High Performance CPU Cooler (PN CNPS12X)
    HDD: 1TB Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm Black Edition SATA 6Gb/s PN WD1002FAEX
    PSU: 700 Watt Thermaltake LitePower Power Supply
    Optical Drive: DVD Writer LiteOn 24x SATA Black
    SPU: Integrated Sound Card
    Network Card: Integrated Gigabit Network Connection

The total cost is: $1478.

Thank you in advance,

Bloodlight
    Last edited by Bloodlight; 2012-03-30 at 11:08 AM.

Normally waiting for new releases is a fools game in the computer hardware business - some new technology is already around the corner. But, in this case, I would seriously recommend waiting for ivy bridge and kelpler to hit the shelves (the next series of processors from intel and the 6XX gpu's from nvidia). It really isnt long now, and this would force the prices down of the hardware you have in your build now, or you could get more power for the same price.

just my 2c

Oh okay, I guess that helps then as I have to wait a bit to save for a little longer. Are there any set dates for the new technology?

The case is overpriced and you will be better off with something like Cooler Master HAF X
    Your CPU does not match the Motherboard socket, I recommend the MSI Z68A-GD55 Rev 3.0
    Start off with a 2x4 kit unless you do video editing
    Get a good CPU cooler, try the Xigmatek Gaia, its cheap and unless you will OC significantly it will work well
    With the price difference you are left with you can probably upgrade from the GTX560 all the way to GTX680 which will last you much longer

May I ask why 16gb ram? most computer barely use anything near that, even with multiple programs running, yes this is something that itches me.

unless you are like a youtuber e.g. Husky or Swifty or w/e, you're not going to need that, probably only 4gb-8gb depending on the games.

Quote Originally Posted by dariok View Post
    The case is overpriced and you will be better off with something like Cooler Master HAF X
    Your CPU does not match the Motherboard socket, I recommend the MSI Z68A-GD55 Rev 3.0
    Start off with a 2x4 kit unless you do video editing
    Get a good CPU cooler, try the Xigmatek Gaia, its cheap and unless you will OC significantly it will work well
    With the price difference you are left with you can probably upgrade from the GTX560 all the way to GTX680 which will last you much longer
    Unfortunately couldn't find that case or the CPU cooler - but I did find most others and it dropped the price down to $1388 - couldn't afford the GTX680 even after the switch so I went to the GTX560 TI Overclocked. Thank you for your feedback!

May I ask why 16gb ram? most computer barely use anything near that, even with multiple programs running, yes this is something that itches me.

unless you are like a youtuber e.g. Husky or Swifty or w/e, you're not going to need that, probably only 4gb-8gb depending on the games.
    Well, the build was actually a premade one from the store and it originally came with 32 gigs of RAM, which I thought was pretty silly. So I dropped it down to 16 (still knowing that it was still too much, however) and left it because it was still so cheap. I was originally expecting pay at least around $1700 - $1800 and struggling to keep it under my max budget.

Deleted
    I wouldn't recommend that PSU but I have no idea which other options you have so I can't really recommend anything else. Do you have a link to a configurator or something?

Would you consider building it yourself? Because we can find you parts that are much better or as good for less/same amount of money.

560ti is fine but new tech is already out, look for 1600MHz RAM (8-16GB) and other little things if I wanna nitpick.

I'll just show you what you can get if you buy the components and put it together yourself or it could give you an idea what to look for.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.00 @ Scorptec)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Scorptec)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Mwave Australia)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($419.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($126.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: Antec 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer ($29.00 @ Scorptec)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 3-Pack (64-bit) ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
    Total: $1333.99
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-03-31 05:20 EST+1100)

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches

You can also buy all the parts and get MWAVE to build it for you for a $89 fee, check out this link:

http://www.mwave.com.au/custom_system.asp

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 07:33 PM ----------

Last but not least this is actually a pretty good pre-built PC:

Mwave GAM3R XTREME System

Total is $1,450

It uses a 128GB SSD so you'll have to add a HDD for storage on your own (not hard to do)
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-03-30 at 06:28 PM.

Looking at the price of the 680...could in fact switch it in and only be around 1560 or so
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D