10+ Year Old Account

New CPU installed

I boot up my PC and I sometimes get a screen saying that I've installed a new CPU and to press F1 to go into set-up.

I've not installed a new CPU. And sometimes it doesn't do this and boots up jsut fine. Other times while starting up my PC it'll turn off a couple of seconds after I turn it on, then turn back on a boot up normally. This happens even before the bios screen comes up.

For reference, I have a I5-2500k (it was OC to 4.2, but since this has started I've gone back to stock, seems to have helped some, but it still does what I described on occasion) & a asus p8z68-v pro mobo with 8g of corsair vengence 1600 ram.

WTF is going on? Once it boots up it works fine, with not one crash.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    The turn off turn on is normal. Asus employee Kinc on sweclockers touched on the subject briefly once and said it's safety-thing it does when it's unsure about what it's recieveing from the PSU.. I forgot the real technical term he used, but apparently it's not very needed as it's going away/optional with the Z77-mobos.

edit: I should add that if you turn on "Power by PCIe" somewhere within the UEFI advanced options, the amount of times it does that should be reduced, at the cost of that your PC draws more power when turned off.

The other thing about the CPU.. hmm. I'd try using the CLR_CMOS switch or just take out the battery (while PC is unplugged) and clear CMOS that way.
    Last edited by Wries; 2012-03-30 at 02:53 PM.