Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Teacher Resigns After Commenting On Student's Cleavage

A Eustis Middle School math teacher resigned after she made a comment about a student's cleavage in front of the classroom.

Joan Bannister, a 53-year-old math teacher, drew attention to the girl's cleavage and said she would be out of dress code if the girl were measured, according to a memo from Lake County Schools. The girl filed a complaint saying that on Jan. 30 Bannister approached her with a ruler and said the math teacher wanted to measure her exposed "boobage."

In the memo, Bannister denied ever using the word "boobage" but admitted to having a conversation with the girl about her being out of compliance with the dress code. She said she never touched the girl, but "could have handled the situation better," according to the memo.

The district recommended her a five-day unpaid suspension that she never served because she requested a hearing. Bannister resigned in lieu of the hearing, which was scheduled for Monday. District spokesman Chris Patton said the district will be forwarding the complaint to the state Office of Professional Practices that oversees teacher discipline.

According to the state's educator code of ethics, Bannister should not have intentionally exposed any student to embarrassment or disparagement. "I think it's an unfortunate incident, and I hope the investigation brings it to a close," Patton said.

Source: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...school-teacher
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-03-31 at 03:56 AM.

I don't know why she didn't just take the 5 day suspension. Almost as though she wants to make herself into a victim of disproportionate punishment or something.

Haha this sounds like my old science teacher, he was a student favorite and very goofy, and had no problem flirting with the girls in class. Everyone was cool with it cause he seemed harmless. His tests were often silly; his semester test one time was a coloring book. But when he finally had enough of the job, he had a question on one of his tests be "Which girl does the largest pair of boobs in class belong to?"

Yeah, boobs are great and all but I removed the picture. Let's keep the discussion to the article.

This is so stupid. Girl was dressed wrong, teacher had the right to say something about it though maybe its a little strange that she was going to measure her lol. My 10th grade English teacher did stuff like this including making fun of girls who had too much cleavage on purpose and she never got in trouble for it (we also thought it was pretty funny though lol)
    Girl just brought it on herself and it just a bitch for trying to get her teacher in trouble.
    I did have a math teacher that ran around with a ruler and a whistle and measured your short and skirt lengths though and chased you down the hall blowing the damn whistle if you were late to class... lol

This all seems very silly on both sides. Resigning before getting your hearing? Accusing a 50+ math teacher of saying "boobage"? Complaining about a teacher trying to enforce the dress code? Calling the girl's cleavage out in front of the class? Stupid all around.
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I don't know why she didn't just take the 5 day suspension. Almost as though she wants to make herself into a victim of disproportionate punishment or something.
    Or she figured continuing at the same school would have been too uncomfortable after all that happened.

What the fuck? Since when have teachers not been allowed to embaress their pupils? When I was in school it was a pretty much "haha, tough shit you should have done it this way in the first place" kind of attitude. The world has gone crazy, no wonder the kids are growing up to be a bunch of fucking pussies.

The world is just too afraid of being offended, or offending others, political correctness gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    What the fuck? Since when have teachers not been allowed to embaress their pupils? When I was in school it was a pretty much "haha, tough shit you should have done it this way in the first place" kind of attitude.
    Are you serious? Good teachers never resort to such tactics.

That pic that got removed was the only interesting part of this thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Yeah, boobs are great and all but I removed the picture. Let's keep the discussion to the article.
    Thread is no use without the relevant subject material!

What the fuck? Since when have teachers not been allowed to embaress their pupils? When I was in school it was a pretty much "haha, tough shit you should have done it this way in the first place" kind of attitude. The world has gone crazy, no wonder the kids are growing up to be a bunch of fucking pussies.

The world is just too afraid of being offended, or offending others, political correctness gone mad.
    +1, I like you, couldn't agree more

~ Infracted
    Last edited by mmoc8b7a14d456; 2012-04-01 at 03:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

AAAAAAAAAAgreed. I thank my lucky stars every day that I grew up when I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    This all seems very silly on both sides. Resigning before getting your hearing? Accusing a 50+ math teacher of saying "boobage"? Complaining about a teacher trying to enforce the dress code? Calling the girl's cleavage out in front of the class? Stupid all around.
    People continue to get more and more petty. Soon it'll be; "the teacher looked at me funny."

Deleted
    And once again I've another reason not to emigrate to the US.

What is wrong with your system??? I mean honestly....

First i thought it was a man named John - then i saw "she" and read it again and it said Joan

I think the lesson we can all take away from this is never infringe on a woman's right to show off her boobs. God bless america!

Deleted
    Girl not complying with dresscode
    -> Teacher makes "fun"/non-dramatic note of it in front of classroom, instead of sending girl home/suspending her
    -> Girl, who broke the rules but got of easy, complains
    -> Teacher get's fired

How nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    How old is middle school? I always imagined it as quite young, younger than cleavage anyway.

And I don't see why this is a big deal, teachers embarrassed students all the time when I was in school, never about cleavage since we had a uniform but about dress length and other things often. (Girls would roll the top of their skirt up to make their skirt shorter sometimes) or if a guy came to school without shaving they'd be told in front of the class they had to precede to the office to be given a razer and shaving cream, then return shaven.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-04-01 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Haha this sounds like my old science teacher, he was a student favorite and very goofy, and had no problem flirting with the girls in class. Everyone was cool with it cause he seemed harmless. His tests were often silly; his semester test one time was a coloring book. But when he finally had enough of the job, he had a question on one of his tests be "Which girl does the largest pair of boobs in class belong to?"
    I had a teacher like this, minus the stupid colouring book thing but the tests were easier than others. Showed much more attention to the girls in the class while I was there. Turned out he had slept with a number of 14,15,16 year old students and got locked up for it.