Buying a new mobile .. . ... .. .help?

Howdy all,

I have a telstra bubble touch mobile phone that i use was the missus old phone =)

Looking at buying a new phone now i cant decide between a iphone or an android phone - Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Go for android. You'll be getting more 'bang' for your buck.

I'd personally suggest Nokia PRADA (if you have the money), Galaxy S II or Sony Xperia S. If you would prefer HTC, Sensation XE or XL.

All are high end phones, all can be upgraded to Android 4.0 (I think their default is 2.3). Plus they're pretty handy.

Then again, if you're on budget... HTC EVO is nice, HTC Desire S still does pretty well, and there's quite a few budget phones around.

Samsung Nexus is a freak of a phone. I've used it and it's amazing. Statistically in every way it's amazing as well.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 is great as well. I've still got my s1 and it's never let me down. Samsung have got their shit together.

Until about 12 months ago, Samsung made Apple products in their manufacturing stores.

"We know you pay your $15 a month. But the rest of the raids $375 wants you to get out of fire." - Haxzorr

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor7782 View Post
    iphone or an android phone
    Way to bait a forum explosion.

Just go to a store and try both out, ask your friends to try theirs. Buying a new phone is something you do out of personal taste. Some like the iPhone, some like the Samsung, some the Nokia, etc.

Don't for the love of god ask such a flat out question on this forum!

There's no best phone, only one that's best for the user - and different users want different things. What do you plan on doing with your phone?

Deleted
    As someone that was in the same predicament as you a month ago, I can strongly advise you to get an Android.

I bought an iPhone and besides the Apple logo, there is NOTHING special about it. My friends mostly have Samsung's and their phones have better features than an iPhone and also cost much less. I would really recommend that you get a Galaxy S2, I know I wish I had....

Galaxy S2 is better than Iphone and the price is about 1/3 lower where I live. Just the apple logo is half the price.

Why not wait for the Galaxy S3?

Why not a WP phone? Im currenty using Nokia Lumia 800. And its darn amazing. I tried both android and iphone and im never going back to those after switching to WP. The ui is simple yet so darn nice and smooth. Gives u info right where u need it, and it does things damn fast, even with only single core prossesor.

Might want to check this one out: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia900/

And here are some vids to show how fast it is compared to other high end phones, doing normal stuff, like snapping a picture and uploading to facebook/twitter...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...ows-phone.aspx

Hope u enjoy it!

Deleted
    This isn't even debatable. The Galaxy S2 is clearly the best smartphone currently on the market by leaps and bounds.

Only logical alternative to getting an S2 is waiting for the S3. Don't even consider an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    This isn't even debatable. The Galaxy S2 is clearly the best smartphone currently on the market by leaps and bounds.

Only logical alternative to getting an S2 is waiting for the S3. Don't even consider an iPhone.
    Agree with the part bout' not getting an iphone, but try comparing S2 with Lumia 900. Please, cuz that one is QUITE good. Even with the speccs, the UI does ALOT for a phone aswell.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It might be an older phone but you can seriously get it cheaper than the rest, in fact you'll probably get money for it. :P

HTC Inspire 4G

My dad, sis, and I recently all got this phone and after a very troubled time with Samsung Impressions (3G phones that like to lost their touch screen because they want to) we are truly pleased. There is a reason this phone lasted so long at such a high position in the Consumer Reports list for best phones. Seriously look into it! I love it!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

First of please ignore what most Android fanboys recommend because majority of them only look at what kind of CPU the phone has.

They usually ignore the fact that their phone freezes as often as it freezes at the North-pole (exaggeration but you get what I mean) and they make up features which for some reason only Android phones have.

Apple fanboys aren't as bad except for the part that they believe every BS that Apple says and the titel of Isheep is appropriate.

When choosing a smarthphone understand you need to look at the following things.
    Price
    Wanting allot of (useless) apps or not
    Which company

Most smarthphones have the same capability, phone A may do better at some things then phone B but overall you can achieve the same results.

Now, in terms of price Apple is more expensive however you do gain a few things which Android users may only dream of but also lose some things.
    Things you gain: not waiting half a year for a update (most Android phones don't even get a update), most new apps will be released on IOS first and then Android and overall better user experience because the IOS is made for the Iphone and not the other way around.
    What you lose : you can't customize IOS as much as Android, but avarage user doesn't bother with custom things since they aren't interested in that.

Apps: IOS or Android if you want apps. Windows Phone and Blackberry has allot less apps but overall this usually means less games and apps that have the same function except made by a different developer. Most of the apps you will find at any store is garbage and if your looking for a certain utility app you will find dozen or so even at WP or BB store. Also

Which brand:
    Personally I would never buy a phone from the following companys: Motorola, Sony, Dell, Acer and all of the Chinese companies.
    I'm a Nokia fan and I've been using a Nokia for 10 years now but I'm open for Samsung or Apple.
    So this is mostly a personal preference.

You will find enough about Android vs IOS so I will focus on the less big names.

Windows Phone is a new player that does things a bit different then Android or IOS. It combines the best things of IOS (namely the OS is designed on limited different hardware) but while allowing everybody to use it (like Android). This results in a phone that works better then Android even though WP uses less demanding hardware. However the biggest issue with WP is that isn't really mainstream now, it's growing but if your an App geek then I wouldn't go with WP. But if prefer function and speed I over Apps then I suggest you watch Smoked by a Windows Phone on youtube. The WP usually wins 1 out of 30 or something in terms of speed because it is designed to be fast and easy.

BB phones are a bit harder to promote right now in my opinion. The old selling point (BB messanger) is no longer valid and the only reason you would want to buy BB is if you text allot and prefer a keyboard. Biggest issue with BB is that it doesn't really stand out anymore unlike Android, WP and IOS so the sales are declining for a while now.

Ultimately the phone you choose depends on what you prefer, both Android and iOS are good choices. I would stay away from Windows and BB they are both dinosaurs and are on their way out. Personally I have a Galaxy S2 and plan to get an S3 when it comes out this year (yay ICS and water proofing).

I love Android but that's my personal preference, you may prefer an iPhone. The best thing to do is to try them both and decide which you like. Though if you are buying right now or soon, for Android I would suggest trying the Galaxy Nexus, running the new ICS version of Android to get a good comparison.

-------------

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    They usually ignore the fact that their phone freezes as often as it freezes at the North-pole (exaggeration but you get what I mean) and they make up features which for some reason only Android phones have.
    Sorry but no. I have a Galaxy S2 that I bought since they first came out and I have only had it freeze on my twice; both times while running a customized version of the android OS built by hobbyists. Even now I am running a custom ICS port that is in beta and still do not experience any freezing. Android has a lot of great selling points over iOS:

The phones are generally more powerful in the hardware department; CPU, RAM, camera, VGA, etc...
    Android does not follow Apple's "we know best" policy: things like widgets and heavy customization by just installing apps without rooting/jailbreaking are possible.
    App flexibility, an extension of the above point: apps do not need to pass Apple's "we know best" approval process for publishing apps, which quite often get denied because Apple "just doesn't see the point". Further, you can install app files that are not on the market.

most new apps will be released on IOS first and then Android
    This used to be the case, unfortunately not anymore. More and more apps are either designed for android first and ported to iOS or they are designed simultaneously for both.

not waiting half a year for a update (most Android phones don't even get a update)
    Quite true for most lower end phones, quite frankly you get what you pay for. The iPhone does not cost $100 so you cannot expect to get all of the same functionality from a $100 Android phone. If you buy a high end phone for a similar price that you would pay for the iPhone from a respected manufacturer, they are quite quick to release updates for the products. There are still some issues but these are usually at the carrier-branded level and Google is working on resolving this.

Apple is more expensive however you do gain a few things which Android users may only dream of but also lose some things.
    Please name one.

you can't customize IOS as much as Android, but avarage user doesn't bother with custom things since they aren't interested in that.
    I have never heard a statement more wrong than this, someone who spends $400-500+ on a phone definitely does want to customize as much as possible within reason (as much as they are allowed by default, without things like jailbreaking or rooting). This is proven by the fact that some of the most popular apps for android with millions of downloads are ones like custom launchers and widgets which are ALL ABOUT customization.

Windows Phone is a new player
    Seriously do you even do any research before you spew off garbage? Windows Phone is not a new player in the market, it is Windows Mobile. All they did was change the way it looks and rebrand it so people think it's new. They did this because Windows Mobile was so bad and pretty much dead, they are struggling to try to re-enter the market.

I do agree on BB though, the company is on the verge of going out of business anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahr View Post
    Sorry but no. I have a Galaxy S2 that I bought since they first came out and I have only had it freeze on my twice; both times while running a customized version of the android OS built by hobbyists. Even now I am running a custom ICS port that is in beta and still do not experience any freezing. Android has a lot of great selling points over iOS:

The phones are generally more powerful in the hardware department; CPU, RAM, camera, VGA, etc...
    Android does not follow Apple's "we know best" policy: things like widgets and heavy customization by just installing apps without rooting/jailbreaking are possible.
    App flexibility, an extension of the above point: apps do not need to pass Apple's "we know best" approval process for publishing apps, which quite often get denied because Apple "just doesn't see the point". Further, you can install app files that are not on the market.
    First of, in general the biggest problem people have with Android is the fact that it freezes more often then any other device (IOS, WP, BB even). Majority of the people don't use custom roms. Tech geeks like to do that but most people aren't tech geeks and their only true interest is having a phone do the things they like. Allot of people that moved from Android to IOS or even WP did so because they couldn't bothers by spending hours to customised it.

A argument I hear often from Android Fanboys is that ''Yea just install a custom rom and it will be fine'', average consumer doesn't want to do that. They buy a product because they think it's good.

And only reason why Android needs better CPU and Ram is because the OS (even ICS) doesn't make full use of the GPU and it's all about CPU. Why do you think a mid range WP runs as smooth as a high end Android, because even though the CPU is a single core it uses GPU to do majority of the task.

This used to be the case, unfortunately not anymore. More and more apps are either designed for android first and ported to iOS or they are designed simultaneously for both.
    The majority of the apps still come out on IOS first, maybe not from certain big companies that give out their apps for free and just need allot of customers. Their is a really good reason why IOS market is still bigger then Android and their aren't even speculations for if Android market will turn out to be bigger.

Quite true for most lower end phones, quite frankly you get what you pay for. The iPhone does not cost $100 so you cannot expect to get all of the same functionality from a $100 Android phone. If you buy a high end phone for a similar price that you would pay for the iPhone from a respected manufacturer, they are quite quick to release updates for the products. There are still some issues but these are usually at the carrier-branded level and Google is working on resolving this.
    Your phone Galaxy S2 took more then half a year to get ICS, the Note still doesn't have ICS and no installing a custom rom isn't a option. I expect when I buy a product that is expensive it would be decently supported. Fact is everybody including google admit it that fragmentation on Android is a big issue, so don't deny that even.

Please name one.
    Updates, see my previous point.

Having a firmware update is fun, it adds new functionality to a phone and it improves certain things.

I have never heard a statement more wrong than this, someone who spends $400-500+ on a phone definitely does want to customize as much as possible within reason (as much as they are allowed by default, without things like jailbreaking or rooting). This is proven by the fact that some of the most popular apps for android with millions of downloads are ones like custom launchers and widgets which are ALL ABOUT customization.
    Sorry your statement is wrong, majority of the people don't want anything to do with customizing. Majority of the people aren't tech geeks, they don't even know why they should be running a custom rom.

Hell I've even met people that don't update their phone to the latest firmware and don't even know how to.

Just because people spend money on something that doesn't mean they will use it to it fullest.

Seriously do you even do any research before you spew off garbage? Windows Phone is not a new player in the market, it is Windows Mobile. All they did was change the way it looks and rebrand it so people think it's new. They did this because Windows Mobile was so bad and pretty much dead, they are struggling to try to re-enter the market.
    Windows Phone is a complete new OS that has nothing to do with Windows Mobile. The only thing both OS have in common is the Windows name and both are develop by Microsoft, so I suggest you do some research before you ''spew off garbage''. And honestly Windows Mobile was in some ways ahead of it's time, if you like Android for it's customization then you must like Windows mobile because was all about that. The problem was with Windows Mobile that it wasn't suited as a mainstream OS for majority of the people.

This is exactly why Android fanboys are in some ways worse then Apple fanboys, they all get so hostile when they hear that Android isn't the the messiah.

Deleted
    Nokia 3310.

Indestructable and almost no recharging!