Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    With MOP coming out as a guesstimate in August there could eb another 5 months of a slowly dying market.

Activity is dying due to people leaving the game and lesser amounts of new gear. I'm making money the same way, just selling less and watching prices slowly drop. the reason to make money is because its another aspect of the game and its nice never to have to worry about buying stuff.

Ore is still okay on my server... red gems aren't bad. I can still make a lot of gold that way... then DE rings/necks from the extra gems. Sell enchanting mats or enchants themselves. I find a lot of competition has given up for the xpac. I'm nearing that point. I have so much gold, i don't really care at all. I just do it by habit now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Less people playing right now also means less competition. Continue what you have been doing, can start being more agressive and pushing others out of the market.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Why are so many people obsessed with making money in WoW? It is not that currently there is anything useful to spend them on beside repair bills/consumeables and sometimes gems/enchants. Cosmetic stuff doesn't count.
    I made about 800,000 gold in Cata. I bought some TCG mounts, epic gems, etc...but really, there's no point in having it when there really isn't anything to spend it on. I know one person who camps the AH on my realm sitting on 3 million gold, but it's pretty much useless. All that time spent for nothing really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dwandurr View Post
    Embersilk cloth, im not gonna tell u where to farm it but if u find a good spot with fast respawns (major hint) you can make upwards of 2k an hour. If they implemented aoe looting this number would probably go up to 6k for me at least.
    Maybe if you include 77-79 greens you get that can sell for 200g+, otherwise there is no way you are making 2.000 gold an hour from just embersilk cloth, which at an average of 80g a stack for most realms is equivalent to killing one mob every 7 seconds. Your 6.000 gold an hour is even sillier, killing one mob every 2.3 seconds. There is no place where you could get those kind of spawn rates and even if there was, you couldn't kill them that fast.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2012-04-01 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    Maybe if you include 77-79 greens you get that can sell for 200g+, otherwise there is no way you are making 2.000 gold an hour from just embersilk cloth, which at an average of 80g a stack for most realms is equivalent to killing one mob every 7 seconds. Your 6.000 gold an hour is even sillier, killing one mob every 2.3 seconds. There is no place where you could get those kind of spawn rates and even if there was, you couldn't kill them that fast.
    it is possible because i do it myself

Gems and enchanting mats have dropped, but so have ore prices-at least on my server. Thus, I am still making gold via the shuffle.

I actually have been making loads of gold these days by buying old Wrath greens and disenchanting them. Infinite dust averages 180-200g a stack or more on my server.
    Last edited by jetersky; 2012-04-02 at 06:10 AM.

I have recently picked up Inscription again after getting tired of the AH for like a year or so. Must say the glyph market is just amazing..

If only I had more time to craft more often
    Thanks Jekdin for the amazing signature!

Maybe if you include 77-79 greens you get that can sell for 200g+, otherwise there is no way you are making 2.000 gold an hour from just embersilk cloth, which at an average of 80g a stack for most realms is equivalent to killing one mob every 7 seconds.
    I can't comment about the whole 6k/hour with AoE looting or anything, but 2k an hour sounds about right for farming cloth on my server at least. Of course, you'll have to pop a treasure finding potion, and you'll usually make more money turning the cloth into bags or spellthread or something. Still though, 2k is not unreasonable at all.

Anyway, back on topic. These days I make most of my money farming transmog gear. Mostly old world stuff in the level 50-60 range; with the fuglier items getting getting sent to my enchanter for DE.

Multiple alts w/ varied professions is the best way imo. I use my warrior to mine, send the ores to my main (DK) to prospect, I send all the carnelian's to my paladin who is herb/alchmy, i use that paladin to farm heartblossom and transmute inferno rubies, check the AH for ruby prices and either cut or leave them raw, cut the rest of the gems into jewelry which I send to my mage to disenchant, then I send all of it over to my AH/Bank toon to begin the selling process, then i come to mmo-champ and write epic run-on sentences coz its 5:20am I just got off work and im too tired to remember what a period button is.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    Anyway, back on topic. These days I make most of my money farming transmog gear. Mostly old world stuff in the level 50-60 range; with the fuglier items getting getting sent to my enchanter for DE.
    This is me as well. I farm old raids (MC, BWL, AQ20/40) as well as old world rares and sell off pieces that are in demand. I also do a once-twice a day scan of the AH for the most popular sets and items and buy out whatever is selling under a certain threshold. There is decently stiff competition on the transmog market but I still make out nicely. A few times a week I get lucky and buy out an expensive item for very cheap, just last night I bought a Jade plate breastplate for 70 gold, so I can flip it for many thousands. I have bought glorious plate legplates before for like 30g and other examples like that. Over the last two months or so I have probably made close to 175k gold just selling transmog items I farm or buy. It's not that I make more money from this than other methods, but I do find this a little less brain-dead than farming current mats or prospecting hundreds of stacks of ore every week. This method requires a bit more creativity and critical thinking.

Other than that I am taking a break for the most part from professions, only making whatever my main and alts need.

Quote Originally Posted by kilj View Post
    Enchanting mats and red gems have dropped by 50%
    And so have ore prices. You are still making a profit. If anything it seems like I'm making more gold now than I was before prices came down.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 08:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dwandurr View Post
    I forgot to add adamantite ore, and titanium ore, im not really sure why nor do i honestly care but both of those are great right now also. As for the jc/enchanting/alchemy shuffle its dead now on most servers, too many videos posted on youtube along with the fact that jcing and enchanting are typically only good for 2-3 months after a major content patch. We are in that time of wow that ive seen many times where people have their mains fully geared, and are not gonna go out of their way and spend tons of gold to gear /enchant/gem their alts. Sadly the best way of making gold now is farming for it to be honest. For whatever reason cloth is still insanely expensive on most servers so that's where id start.
    My realm must be doing it wrong then. It seems like demand for gems have gone up substantially since the prices dropped. I'm having a hard time keeping a decent stock of blue quality gems on hand because I'm burning through them so fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no place where you could get those kind of spawn rates and even if there was, you couldn't kill them that fast.
    There most certainly is a place with those sorts of spawn rates: it's somewhere in Deepholme and I use it myself. The toon I use is a tailor and gets an absolutely obscene amount of embersilk which is then converted into bolts for selling. Combine this with a potion of treasure finding and you have yourself a license to print money.

just because YOU don't know where this place is with literally almost instant respawns doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Still making 8k a night off enchanting mats but only around 5k of that is profit as I usually buy 2-3k worth of ore. Sold 37 +40 int gems yesterday for 115 each dont know what they go for on other servers. Theres still money to be made. Remember, all the lazy people who never finished leveling their professions just because that character was an alt will be rushing to max it out before cata so they can make the new stuff. I expect a huge boom in mat sells with low supply and high prices a few weeks before MoP launches. Also people might try and stock up to power level professions on their new monk/panda before MoP launches to avoid price gouging. I have had no trouble selling 10-15 stacks of greater celestials within 1-2 hours I put them up @ 650 a stack.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 09:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    Combine this with a potion of treasure finding and you have yourself a license to print money.
    Potions are worthless. Used 3 last night and only got 5 boxes. They seemed to have been nerfed to the ground.

I goto work everyday and do my 8 hours as everybody else. It pays the bills usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Potions are worthless. Used 3 last night and only got 5 boxes. They seemed to have been nerfed to the ground.
    What did you do while you had the buff? They can be expensive, and I only really hear of people using them if they're farming mobs that re-spawn quickly; like in allatar's example. :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    I made about 800,000 gold in Cata. I bought some TCG mounts, epic gems, etc...but really, there's no point in having it when there really isn't anything to spend it on. I know one person who camps the AH on my realm sitting on 3 million gold, but it's pretty much useless. All that time spent for nothing really.
    People play for different reasons. If you're good at it and its fun playing the AH is a game within itself.
    As someone mentioned earlier gold can pretty much get you anything you want if you have enough. Let it be buying pvp titles. pve gear and or titles. Mounts etc etc. You don't want things given to you cause you have a lot of gold? Well noone says you should do it. I think it just give players the freedom of having tons of gold, I know it does to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    you are using it at the wrong location. i use it at the troggs fighting the earthen in deepholm and average 30 chests per hour. i get 20 stacks of cloth, 300G from mobs, greys and chests and a large number of volatiles and greens (although not the top notch greens). and i'm not even a tailor...

with the treasure finding potions i haverage around 30-40 stacks of cloth and an average of 30 chests, which can give upto another 300 cloth... along with greens and volatiles.... i also got the int enchant to bracer from the chest which was an extremely rare chance from the chest as i know the enchant is a world drop.... which sold for 3k which was like 3/5 of the price people were asking for on my server...

Deleted
    Potion of treasure finding and AoE mobs in Deepholm.
    2k an hour is really low. 5k is more like it, everything included.