Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Why so much hate for raids? As long as they didn't become the main focus of the game, I think they'd be fine. I think the problem with both people who are for and against raids tend to equate raids to endgame/gear treadmill, and this doesn't need to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    I might actually become interested in the game.

No lore or story of any interest? <negative>
    Any interest TO YOU*
    the GW universe is one of the more interesting, lore-wise, as far as MMOs go.
    Unfamiliar gameplay? <negative>
    Trying new things? Negative!
    Team-based raids? <might take a look>
    There is other team based content, doesn't have to have the word 'raid' tagged onto the end to be interesting.

But that is just your opinion, I suppose. Judging by your claim of no lore, you must not know much about GW2, so I suppose your opinion (while uninformed) is valid enough for the situation.

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maiva View Post
    Shit in a bowel and throw it at the screen like I did with my money.. except for the fact that I dont shit money. Screw PvE thers a wonderfull PvE game called WoW already. Time for a PvP game where the PVP is in focus. If some hippie wants to kill dragons with 24 of his friends he can go do that in wow.

PvE'ers should not fuck up GW2 like they did with WoW.
    PvP isn't the focus of GW2, so.. there is that.
    I understand people who know nothing about GW2 claiming it's a PvP game, but people who seem to be interested in GW2 not knowing even that much about it? Really? Sigh.

I might actually play it then.

At least there would be a little more to do than run the same dungeon, or instance, or scenario 1000 times, oh wait, they're tuned to my new level! Exciting to do the same things over and over and over with no reason to get better gear but to run endgame stuff....oh there's no endgame stuff?........
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post

At least there would be a little more to do than run the same dungeon, or instance, or scenario 1000 times, oh wait, they're tuned to my new level! Exciting to do the same things over and over and over with no reason to get better gear but to run endgame stuff....oh there's no endgame stuff?........
    Running the same raid 1,000 times would be better? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Why so much hate for raids? As long as they didn't become the main focus of the game, I think they'd be fine. I think the problem with both people who are for and against raids tend to equate raids to endgame/gear treadmill, and this doesn't need to be the case.
    The truth is if raiding, in the sense of an instanced area with X number of people needed to complete it is introduced then raid will become a focus of the game. Arenanet will not create a part of the game that takes as much resources and effort as it does to design that type of content without it being a focus of some point. It would be like expecting WoW to only release raids when an expansion is released but never more for each new tier of content only new 5 mans. It won't happen.

Amazing how games nowadays have conditioned players to think that raids are the only endgame content in mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Amazing how games nowadays have conditioned players to think that raids are the only endgame content in mmos.
    Amazing how quickly this thread has become an invitation for people with no knowledge about GW2 to come show us just how little they know about the game, mechanics, and story.

So, you'd rather run the same raid 1000 times instead?

Edit: lol, beaten to the punchline.

Are you joking? Are you seriously complaining about running things over x1000 when you play WoW? Surely, you jest... OT, it all depends on how these raids were implemented...

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Amazing how quickly this thread has become an invitation for people with no knowledge about GW2 to come show us just how little they know about the game, mechanics, and story.
    Yeah pretty much. I suppose it was inevitable that the thread would start to go that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Most people don't know anything about the games they play. There is a huge amount of unsophistication among gamers. It's the lowest audience relative to it's age for a new medium.

I was afraid this was going to happen and yet I made the thread anyway. Damn im stupid.

WoW and all the other recent big MMOs have ruined peoples minds. They all focus on raids for the end game, so that must be the only type of end game right? There's no way a MMO could build a world that has interesting enough things to do in it that you don't need raiding. Anyone who thinks a game must have raiding hasn't been around long enough or hasn't played a wide enough variety of MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played(tested) it, read nearly everything about it, including their 2 books so I know a bit about the current story; so I would say I am knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerra View Post
    Played(tested) it, read nearly everything about it, including their 2 books so I know a bit about the current story; so I would say I am knowledgeable.
    Sure is a good thing I wasn't talking about you!
    o.O

I wouldn't like it and would lose interest in the game immediately.

I don't like the idea of end-game and the only way to have fun and get good gear would be by running raids, i'm very bored of that playstyle.

Heh, don't think you fall into that category. It's pretty obvious in this thread whom that comment is directed toward.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiva View Post
    Shit in a bowel and throw it at the screen like I did with my money.. except for the fact that I dont shit money. Screw PvE thers a wonderfull PvE game called WoW already. Time for a PvP game where the PVP is in focus. If some hippie wants to kill dragons with 24 of his friends he can go do that in wow.

PvE'ers should not fuck up GW2 like they did with WoW.
    You do realize GW2 has substantial PvE content right?

....RIGHT?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    WoW and all the other recent big MMOs have ruined peoples minds. They all focus on raids for the end game, so that must be the only type of end game right? There's no way a MMO could build a world that has interesting enough things to do in it that you don't need raiding. Anyone who thinks a game must have raiding hasn't been around long enough or hasn't played a wide enough variety of MMOs.
    I use to think for most games that endgame was when you went to the next difficulty, not added more people to the situation. Also I believe that raiding to me takes some magic out of the story; yes it is more believable if you have an army to fight the dragon but sometimes you want to be a hero and not a soldier.

The truth is if raiding, in the sense of an instanced area with X number of people needed to complete it is introduced then raid will become a focus of the game. Arenanet will not create a part of the game that takes as much resources and effort as it does to design that type of content without it being a focus of some point. It would be like expecting WoW to only release raids when an expansion is released but never more for each new tier of content only new 5 mans. It won't happen.
    So does instanced 5 mans automatically invalidate large scale world events? No. I find it funny how GW2 fans always want other MMO players to have a more open mindset when it comes to how GW2's endgame works, but then tend to have a very very narrow mindset of what raiding can be. I think ANet can introduce raiding as a separate mode of playing without making it THE focus of the game.