Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

My sincere apologies if I'm going to insult some gamers or mods but

My sincere apologies if I'm going to insult some gamers or mods of various gaming websites but negative criticism can be constructive.

I'm routinely called a troll and banned in various gaming sites for offering negative criticism in a polite, non-personal and constructive manner. I believe those people have learned the meaning of constructive criticism but they stretched it to its limits to satisfy their needs of very minimal negative criticism.

Constructive criticism does not mean "extreme politeness", it does not mean "limited negativity in arguments". It means I am not going to become negative on feelings, I'm not going to go personal on any individual, I am not going to go on a drama trip. I am going to offer arguments towards improving a concept without dramatizing it.

But I have every right to use a plethora of negative arguments for a concept I disagree with. There is no rule saying "I must be limited in the extend I'm going to go negative", there is no rule "you must be extremely polite and remind the Queen of England".

The hypocritical stance of people is exposed when they dismiss, call trolling or ban people that use negative constructive criticism but they allow positive nonconstructive commenting.

Positive nonconstructive commenting is when you say something positive but you offer no reason why you support it. This is not a reason to dismiss it or attack it, but it certainly has no value in a framework where arguments are required. Instead negative nonconstructive comments may be attacked as unequal while in reality, both types are useless.

So please, make some effort, think about it and realize negative criticism can be constructive. I know it may be hard to accept it if it's your "baby" what is being discussed, but you can't expect a discussion to reach high quality in outcomes when you shut down negative criticism that is constructive. Because in that case the drama did not come from the creator of the criticism but from the inherent attributes of the receiver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eric Lenscher!

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgive you.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand your use of the term "negative criticism."

Surely we all know that constructive criticism is a good thing. But negative criticism I don't get.

Deleted
    I realise this is probably playing into things a bit but you can't really have negative constructive criticism, that's technically just negative criticism. Sure, that has a place but it's not really 'constructive' in the literal sense.

However as long as you're polite, not merely trying to flamebait/troll people, then it's fine. I'd prefer intelligent, constructive, criticism over idiocy such as 'u mad bro' any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP you must understand that your idea of "constructive criticism" is just that: your idea of it. Some may share your position, some may think you're being too light, some may think you're trolling. But when people respond with either of those, it's because criticism of all kinds is very subjective.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Constructive criticism is when you state whats wrong and give your suggestions to improve those things. It's fairly similar to how they are supposed to act when you get a review at work. When I was a manager we were supposed to give 2 compliments per negative, and offer at least 2 possible solutions to solve the negative.

What most people do and I'm sure you are guilty of this as well or they wouldn't be banning you, is state opinion as fact and offer no reasonable means to solve the "issue". Such as "Everyone is demanding Vanilla servers and Blizzard is ignoring the majority of the player base except for the noobs who want to play this watered down casual DS. I can't wait for GW2 so I can play a game where the maker listens to the players'" I see this sort of posting everyday.

I would suggest in order to keep from getting banned in the future you really think about what you are criticizing and either use facts, not opinion when being critical, or suggest several possible reachable solutions to get the ball moving in the right direction.

The problem is when negative criticism crosses into the territory of being insulting.

That's when it stops being criticism, and just becomes an insult.

If you ever have to ask yourself 'am I going too far,' then yes, you're probably going too far, basically.

I don't get it? What is this post about. Yeah obviously he says when he criticizes negatively people get their panties in a bunch. I ask about what subject or subjects? I guess I have to go through his post history to see his criticisms? Oh well.

Constructive criticism with a negative tone is useless - people aren't open to listening to it no matter how well-founded or legitimate it may be. Here, as in your other thread, you should remember that if you feel you're going to insult someone with what you post to the point you're putting an apology up-front, you're probably already going about it the wrong way and need to rework what you have to say. More, this "apologizing" in advance doesn't change anything, and it's pretty much the equivalent of saying "I'm not racist, but those ethnic group members always seem to have this negative trait." You're only fooling yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    The hypocritical stance of people is exposed when they dismiss, call trolling or ban people that use negative constructive criticism but they allow positive nonconstructive commenting.

Positive nonconstructive commenting is when you say something positive but you offer no reason why you support it. This is not a reason to dismiss it or attack it, but it certainly has no value in a framework where arguments are required. Instead negative nonconstructive comments may be attacked as unequal while in reality, both types are useless.
    That's not hypocrisy.

Trolling and unconstructive criticism aren't banned because they contribute nothing to the discussion, but because they derail the discussion or cause others to become angry. Positive feedback almost never does, except possibly the person who is trolling those who are happy with something.

So please, make some effort, think about it and realize negative criticism can be constructive. I know it may be hard to accept it if it's your "baby" what is being discussed, but you can't expect a discussion to reach high quality in outcomes when you shut down negative criticism that is constructive. Because in that case the drama did not come from the creator of the criticism but from the inherent attributes of the receiver.
    All criticism is negative. The difference is between unconstructive criticism ("This coffee mad sucks, yo"), and constructive criticism ("I think you burned the beans when you were roasting them, the coffee's too bitter").

The latter provides an explanation for what went wrong and why, and how it can be corrected. That's what makes it "constructive". Posting just to diss something isn't constructive, which is why it often gets labelled as trolling; it will only serve to make other posters angry, not to provide a reasonable and helpful contribution to the discussion.

It's best to look at forum discussions as open conversations. If there's a group discussing their favorite TV shows, and you wander over and say "Community is the worstiest show in the history of TV", you're not contributing to the discussion, and they're all going to get angry with you, possibly even if they agree with your conclusion.

Deleted
    Criticizing WoW on here will get you banned swiftly no matter how you put it.

It's pretty much an open secret at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post

1,470 posts and you're still here. I can only assume that's because the mods are terrible and lazy and haven't bothered to oppress your freedom of speech yet?

Criticism of WoW outnumbers praise of WoW on these forums 3:2 at least. Pretending there is some conspiracy to prevent useful discussion is amusing.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post

No it won't.

Deleted
    To those that said negative constructive criticism does not exist:

"Both negative and constructive criticism have their appropriate uses, but often it is considered a requirement of criticism that they are combined."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...tive_criticism

I believe you're thinking about that thread about beta keys that got locked.

it wasn't locked because it was negative criticism. it was locked because it was a polite way of saying "I'm better than you so I should have your beta key".

that's not constructive criticims at all.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I'm routinely called a troll and banned
    I'm sure that you've done no wrong whatsoever, and are merely a misunderstood pariah. That's the quite definitely the most likely explanation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

"Both negative and constructive criticism have their appropriate uses, but often it is considered a requirement of criticism that they are combined."

I see you didn't bother to read my post you just wanted to jump to the "ha, I'm right negative criticism does exist" line of thinking, and you honestly wonder why you get banned?

It is never me at fault, but everyone else.
    I am simply misunderstood.
    That is what I am reading from this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eeeerm, Negative constructive Critisism? I have a feeling that doesn't exist.

---------- Post added 2012-04-01 at 05:06 PM ----------

You're getting this from Wikipedia. You could have easily just gone and edited this...

Fantastic Signature made by Maybenotquiteasheavy