Thread: PvE in GW2.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

PvE in GW2.

So, I just went lazymode and rather than doing my research I just wanted a quick answer from the forums. I'm just out to confirm that I've understood it correctly that all "Endgame PvE content" in the sense it exist in GW2 is 5-man or outdoor?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Slappers View Post
    So, I just went lazymode and rather than doing my research I just wanted a quick answer from the forums. I'm just out to confirm that I've understood it correctly that all "Endgame PvE content" in the sense it exist in GW2 is 5-man or outdoor?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Correct - partially. End game isn't limited to level 80, you're always working on your personal story, you will get sidekicked down to whatever level content you're in, thus, any dynamic events, and any dungeon can - among other things - be considered end game.

There's a recent video released by Totalbiscuit that will give you an indication of the challenges faced in a level 35 dungeon - in my opinion, quite challenging!

Quote Originally Posted by Slappers View Post

Essentially all content is supposed to scale, so that no content will be irrelevant. The instanced PvE is in the form of 5-man dungeons, with the easy mode and the hard mode (which take the place of raids in this game). See Explorable Mode dungeons for more info on that.

There's also the dynamic events, which are basically group quests. Most will be part of a chain, and will leave some sort of actual impact on the world. There's also the elite events which are basically world bosses. (an example would be Tequatl the Sunless which was covered by the TotalHalibut channel / Totalbiscuit)

Then there's the personal story quests, which are sort of your more traditional quests, and kind of like what you see with class quests in TOR.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-03-24 at 12:16 AM.

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: Personal storyline, Dynamic Events, Hearts, crafting/gathering, 5 man dungeons with two difficulties(exploration having at least 3 paths/options per dungeons), Skill Point challenges, Exploration challenges.

10+ Year Old Account
    5 man just means you have to try harder

cant stack B/P interrupts or SFers to lolsteamroll content this time
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post

cant stack B/P interrupts or SFers to lolsteamroll content this time

How would you know? For all we know something even more overpowered will come out and completely obliterate hard mode content. Game is also not even out of beta.

You can make content hard or easy, the maximum amount of players does not make a difference except for design.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    How would you know? For all we know something even more overpowered will come out and completely obliterate hard mode content. Game is also not even out of beta.

You can make content hard or easy, the maximum amount of players does not make a difference except for design.
    pretty sure you dont catch the reference at all
    The Original Ganksta

You really need to research the link given to you by Zito.
    Calling the pve content in GW2 5-man or outdoor means you're trying to understand it in terms you've come to understand from other MMOs. They're quite different in GW2. Dynamic is the word.
    5 mans (explorable) are much harder than the 5 mans ur used to. And far more interesting. Outdoor content is not some world boss idling around waiting for a group of interpid adventurers to come and zerg it.
    GW2 is very much an organic and dynamic world.

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    Not necessarily. There is more individual responsibility, but we don't have any clue on the specifics of encounter design yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    we don't have any clue on the specifics of encounter design yet.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-dungeon-video
    The Original Ganksta

Unfinsihed dungeon, video has no specifics on the encounters. Difficulty can not be measured by a passive observer.

Unfinsihed dungeon, video has no specifics on the encounters. Difficulty can not be measured by a passive observer.
    Whilst I agree with you to a point - as in, it's very hard to judge the exact difficulty when it wasn't the commentator who actually ran the dungeon refernced, there's a few points I'd raise to counter your argument:

(1) The overall run included 3 developers (whom one would assume would be clued in to what was involved and have a good knowledge of the instance), yet still took 4 hours to complete
    (2) The commentator was talking to the person who ran the dungeon, thus relaying that person's impressions, at least to a degree
    (3) It seems fairly obvious from the video that it wasn't an easy or simple run, that there were challenges the group had to overcome - in other words, it wasn't a "roflstomp"

I would still agree that the exact "degree of difficulty" is still hard to judge, and honestly, that will come down to each individual player and their skill set - what is challenging to some will be impossible for others, and easy for some others. Group dynamics and communcation also play into this to a degree, I would imagine, that despite the lack of trinity and level of "personal responsibility" one has in self healing/avoiding damage etc.

And, as you say (quite rightly so!), it is an unfinished dungeon, and encounters and difficulty level is subject to change - beta is beta after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post
    Whilst I agree with you to a point - as in, it's very hard to judge the exact difficulty when it wasn't the commentator who actually ran the dungeon refernced, there's a few points I'd raise to counter your argument:

(1) The overall run included 3 developers (whom one would assume would be clued in to what was involved and have a good knowledge of the instance), yet still took 4 hours to complete
    (2) The commentator was talking to the person who ran the dungeon, thus relaying that person's impressions, at least to a degree
    (3) It seems fairly obvious from the video that it wasn't an easy or simple run, that there were challenges the group had to overcome - in other words, it wasn't a "roflstomp"
    Easily rebutted;

1. Unfinished dungeon. 2 players out of 5 were not overly familiar with the game.
    2. ..of an unfinished dungeon, in which 2 out of the 5 person team were fairly new to the game.
    3. You understand where this is going.

It's merely fan-ism and high hopes to assume what we have seen thus far is in any way final or conveys the specifics of encounters.

You are right about the subjectivity of difficulty as well. A point I argued in a related thread. This only further cements the dubiousness and fanaticism of early declarations in game difficulty.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-03-24 at 03:25 AM.

Rasily rebutted;

1. Unfinished dungeon. 2 players out of 5 were not overly familiar with the game.
    2. ..of an unfinished dungeon, in which 2 out of the 5 person team were fairly new to the game.
    3. You understand where this is going.

It's merely fan-ism and high hopes to assume what we have seen thus far is in any way final or conveys the specifics of encounters.

You are right about the subjectivity of difficulty as well. A point I argued in a related thread. This only further cements the dubiousness and fanaticism of early declarations in game difficulty.
    Ummm.....but likewise I don't think it's a fair argument to talk about "familarity". As in the developers, and later us players. To say that once people are familiar with them the dungeons will be easy. That's a given tbh.
    I think it's better talk about initial difficulty. From that point of view it looks hard.
    But that's as far as we can take it for now because, yes, it's unfinished.
    Imo though, Anet are more likely to upscale the difficulty for explorables than downscale it, from an interpretation of their design philosophy for explorable dungeons.

Oh that's not good, SB. There is a marked difference in /played over a weekend and weeks which would account for a player(s) having a sense of how their skills work and general comfort of play. "Not overly familiar" is a polite way of saying playing poorly. That certainly doesn't lend any credence to; "5 mans mean you have to try harder"/cheeseball encounters either.

Discerning from a video the complexity (or lack of) dungeon encounters is just faulty. They'll be naysayers aplenty saying, "Looks boring lol" (couple of posts made to effect already) as fan eyes alight with hopes & dreams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming that the content will be faceroll easy just because it's 5-man content is going to cause a lot of group wipes.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Assuming that the content will be faceroll easy just because it's 5-man content is going to cause a lot of group wipes.
    I can see it now.

Guardian: kk guys ill tank, ele u heal
    Ele: KK!!!

The guardian proceeds to chain pull the entire room, everyone dies in about 15 seconds.

Guardian: wtf noob healer

Larynx, that actually made me laugh out loud in real life...

'Cause I can see it happening too >.<

Oh that's not good, SB. There is a marked difference in /played over a weekend and weeks which would account for a player(s) having a sense of how their skills work and general comfort of play. "Not overly familiar" is a polite way of saying playing poorly. That certainly doesn't lend any credence to; "5 mans mean you have to try harder"/cheeseball encounters either.

Discerning from a video the complexity (or lack of) dungeon encounters is just faulty. They'll be naysayers aplenty saying, "Looks boring lol" (couple of posts made to effect already) as fan eyes alight with hopes & dreams.
    Wasn't really talking about the vid there...just that generally that dungeons will get easier as we get more familiar with them. And that no-one will be going in at the level of the developers. Impossible to say, but yh....if 5 ppl go in at the level of the press in that vid...they'll find it very hard lol. 5 at the level of the devs...easy. It's all relative.
    I was trying to say, poorly, that it's not possible to judge the difficulty yet. That was too much of a mix of pros and bads.