Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Exactly, that is YOUR opinion, and you're welcome to it.

I grew up with the FF games, pretty much started with the first. (The numbers get confusing there in the beginning...) Final Fantasy V is my absolute favorite...had a cheesy story, but the way you leveled and used the class system is still unique and amazing. I of course picked up FFVII the day it released (and I still have it, complete in case!) and have since played it through at least 30 or more times. When Aeris got killed, it was the first time in my gaming history that I ever actually cried. I had to stop playing for months to get over it. Anyone who says the story to 7 is garbage needs to be taken out back and shot, as you obviously have NO idea what a good story is.

FFVII was a groundbreaker on several fronts, and that's what it's remembered for. Well, at least for those of us who played it at the time. All the kiddies picking it up now, some 15 years later, (You know, that makes me feel really old >.>) are all over it for the boys who look like girls, and the plethora of Yaoi moments. Kinda sickens me what they've turned FFVII into.

Also, for the record, I could not finish FFX. I almost finished FFX-2. But 10 is just...ugh. It's like the disney version of final fantasy. The story was wonky and childish, the relationship between Yuna and Tidus was laughable. The battle system was good, and some of the artwork for the monsters was really amazing. However, 10 is essentially in the same boat as 7; it was the 'flagship' final fantasy game for a new system.

Granted, you also have to understand one key problem here: Final Fantasy VII was made by SQUARESOFT, 10 was made by Squeenix. Nothing Squeenix has touched has really amounted to anything. Which is depressing, because both Square and Enix are monster RPG companies. So why is it that when you combine the two, they produce nothing but garbage?

The day I see Dragon Ball Z style graphics in a Final Fantasy game (for those who don't know, what's what the Dragon Warrior series uses, which Enix is known for) is the day I go on a killing spree, mark my words.
    A couple of notes:

I did not say that VII's story was bad, just that it's not as strong as people make it out to be. The death of Aeris is powerful, yes, but the story kinda flags and goes nowhere a lot. It also has some really forced humor, and the dark overtones can suffer for it.

Also, X was not made by Squeenix. It was released just prior to the merger. It was published by Square EA in America.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Your opinion is pretty invalid if you think just because something has a convoluted plot that you need to play multiple times through to even understand it's better. Plus 7's translation was terrible.

tl;dr 2deep4u durr hurr
    I disagree, there are many movies/games which are more understandable with a second viewing/playing. Having forward knowledge helps things you wouldn't necessarily understand first time through from being forgotten, thus allowing you to more readily make links/get a better picture etc.

Ever seen Donnie Darko? You pick up on so much more throughout the film having known what's gone on.

Whilst multiple playthroughs are not needed to understand, a better understanding is likely on a second run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Also, X was not made by Squeenix. It was released just prior to the merger.
    Yes, I just saw that on the wiki lol. I stand corrected. The rest of that comment stands though >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I really like 10 but the story did get kinda weird.
    It was a pretty unsatisfying end, I was 13 when it came out and simply didn't understand it and didn't think too much about it. Replaying it now in my mid-twenties and paying attention to what was actually being said, or more specifically major points that get one line of conflicting text with no further explanation, has just left me with a lot of questions and frustration.

I really like 10 but the story did get kinda weird.
    Sort of off-topic, but I believe 10 suffers from the same dilemma 4, 5, 8, 12, and, from what I have heard, 9 all have. The story completely goes crazy at the end, a new villain or crazy plot point is introduced, and nobody knows what the hell is going on.

I'd actually call that, a coherent ending, one of 7's greatest strengths. No new crazy things are introduced; you just get a satisfying conclusion. Could've been a bit better, yeah, but I'd call it one of the better FF endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Sort of off-topic, but I believe 10 suffers from the same dilemma 4, 5, 8, 12, and, from what I have heard, 9 all have. The story completely goes crazy at the end, a new villain or crazy plot point is introduced, and nobody knows what the hell is going on.

I'd actually call that, a coherent ending, one of 7's greatest strengths. No new crazy things are introduced; you just get a satisfying conclusion. Could've been a bit better, yeah, but I'd call it one of the better FF endings.
    The only problem I ever had with FF7's story was that Sephiroths motivation is rather weak. I mean thats better than no motivation at all like Ultimecia, but it's a point. My 10 y/o self literally face palmed at Cloud thinking he was someone else, but there are worse plots out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    ty for not saying that the "graphics were revolutionary for thier time" because they weren't. lol

Also, it doesnt hold up very well after 15yrs. FFVI, other 2d snes rpgs from '94-'96, and any 2.5D rpgs found on psx and saturn still hold up to today's standards of a DS or gba title; Legend of mana comes to mind.

I will say that the combat system in the old FF's are my favorites, but I do enjoy 9 and 10 as well (hate 8's). IMO, by the time square got to number 7 they nailed it and personally only FF9 comes a little bit close to what the materia system in 7. But 9 had some things that I think make it the best of all, like duel class combo's and buff's that are required if you wish to beat the final boss... unlike any other FF boss which only requires u to hit it till dead. I'm old school when it comes to rpgs, I like my "hit/cast/summon/item/special ability/etc." menu... that sadly has died off over the years for a more action-oriented combat systems. I think Pokemon and golden sun are the last two that still role it old school... and GS does a pretty damn good job.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 04:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    The only problem I ever had with FF7's story was that Sephiroths motivation is rather weak. I mean thats better than no motivation at all like Ultimecia, but it's a point. My 10 y/o self literally face palmed at Cloud thinking he was someone else, but there are worse plots out there.
    plz... Cloud was weak. Cloud was so weak, he makes Bella from twilight look like a strong independent woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I do have to say, as much as Cloud being a moody, distant twit for half the game kinda got on my nerves, he was waaay better than Squall. Squall was just so wooden for most of VIII, then out of nowhere he suddenly has feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    As with most JRPGs and the Final Fantasy games in particular, the music is the primary reason to play. The stories are generally pretty boring, the characters uninteresting and cliche, and the combat completely forgettable... but the music is absolutely top-notch.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaguies View Post
    FFX>FF7 debate me
    10 actually made me cry while 7 just gave me a saddened feeling when she died. I literally was crying and cussing out the game when I beat 10 and everything happened at the end. I remember it all too well. I had stayed up all night because I knew I was close to beating it and a little past 7am the final cutscene happened & then came the crying & cussing. My mom came and knocked on my door to make sure I was alright and told her it was just the game that had me upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Im going to get massive hate but i still, regardless of the praise it gets, think this game is one of the most overhyped and over rated games period.
    Hate to say it, but I feel this way, too.

I never understood why this game was loved as much as it was. I mean, it's a good game. But it's not as good as people make it out to be.

Final Fantasy 1, 4, and 6 were the best ones in my biased opinion. Personally I liked 6 the most, but it's a tough call. 4 was REALLY good. I've also heard 9 was a good one but I have not played it.

But here I am digressing in a thread about FF7. I'll just leave it at this.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    As with most JRPGs and the Final Fantasy games in particular, the music is the primary reason to play. The stories are generally pretty boring, the characters uninteresting and cliche, and the combat completely forgettable... but the music is absolutely top-notch.
    While I must disagree with most of your points, I will say that as long as Uematsu is doing the music, I will probably continue buying Final Fantasy games for that reason.

I do have to say, as much as Cloud being a moody, distant twit for half the game kinda got on my nerves, he was waaay better than Squall. Squall was just so wooden for most of VIII, then out of nowhere he suddenly has feelings.
    I for whatever reason never understood people getting as upset as they do over the characters. It wasn't something I ever thought of. Especially when you consider at the time many games featured a silent protagonist with no personality at all.

To me its not overhyped...it was the most amazing game I'd ever played back in the day. I played it at a friend's house and got a playstation shortly after solely for this game. Of course the playstation was awesome anyway but even if FF7 was the only good game on it I wouldn't have regretted my purchase. I spent hundreds of hours beating it multiple times over the years and each time was fun. I think its funny how much hate the game's gotten as the years have passed. Its like the ultimate "hate it because its popular" game...I never see a good reason for the hate just people saying its overhyped and leaving it at that. Only thing I'll agree with on the haters side its that its not indisputably the best FF game. To me FF6, 7 and 10 are about equal at the top. Hell I'm playing FF6 on my iphone right now for about the 8th time. They all hold a special place in my heart -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    ty for not saying that the "graphics were revolutionary for thier time" because they weren't. lol

Also, it doesnt hold up very well after 15yrs. FFVI, other 2d snes rpgs from '94-'96, and any 2.5D rpgs found on psx and saturn still hold up to today's standards of a DS or gba title; Legend of mana comes to mind.

I will say that the combat system in the old FF's are my favorites, but I do enjoy 9 and 10 as well (hate 8's). IMO, by the time square got to number 7 they nailed it and personally only FF9 comes a little bit close to what the materia system in 7. But 9 had some things that I think make it the best of all, like duel class combo's and buff's that are required if you wish to beat the final boss... unlike any other FF boss which only requires u to hit it till dead. I'm old school when it comes to rpgs, I like my "hit/cast/summon/item/special ability/etc." menu... that sadly has died off over the years for a more action-oriented combat systems. I think Pokemon and golden sun are the last two that still role it old school... and GS does a pretty damn good job.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 04:22 AM ----------

plz... Cloud was weak. Cloud was so weak, he makes Bella from twilight look like a strong independent woman.
    He admits it, becomes stronger, becomes his own person after the revelation and basically becomes an exceptional protagonist. It is incredibly frustrating to hear people dismiss a character because they don't like one dimension and don't even see that person's growth.

Also, I said the art was timeless, and it is. That's why it does hold up.

Wut? FFIX is far from a POS, sorry.
    I'll agree with this. FF9 is a great FF. Not one of the best, but a really good one nonetheless.

And people need to understand something. Nobody is saying YOUR opinion is stupid (at least I'm not).

What I AM saying is that FF7 at the time was THE game (not only THE rpg). It has the best graphics you've ever seen in an rpg, it had the best music, the story was excellent (maybe it's not your FAVORITE, but it's undenyably excellet), the gameplay was a masterpiece and the characters were so so good. Cid from FF7 is THE BEST Cid from all FF games hands down! Hell, the characters were so good that they created a game for Vincent!! (which was SHIT). Barret was another GREAT character.

All in all, when you point out all the things that FF7 had/did that were better than what was available at the time, it's then that you see that FF7 really is one of the best games of all time.

Seriously, WHAT GAME nowadays (or in the past few years), can you say that when they were released, they had the best graphics, music, story, gameplay, characters, etc??

Hell, when I think about games today, they either have very good graphics, but shitty sound/gameplay, etc, or good gameplay, but crappy graphics, etc.

FF7 had everything. And that's the reason why it's considered a masterpiece by so many people, even until this day.

Now bear in mind that it's not the only game that did all of this I just said. There are some other games that when released had everything too. But when I think of FF7, I think it's the only one that had everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obao98 View Post
    Seriously, not trying to be an ass or anything, but if you did not play this game AT THE RIGHT TIME, then you CANNOT review it honestly.

The graphics, for example, at the time were AMAZING. We had NEVER seen anything like it before (talking about RPGs).

The music is a masterpiece (as are all FF music actually).

The story was beyond ANYTHING you`ve ever seen before in an RPG.

And the gameplay was, simply put, a masterpiece as well. The materia system is without a doubt the best magic system in all (one of the best at least) FFs (and all RPGs for that matter). It did not get boring AT ALL. You had to make some choices, which made the game interesting. The possibilities of what you could do with the right Materia were almost endless. Truly epic. It was perfect.

Sorry, but after you said you didn`t play the game at the right time and only played when the PS2 was almost out, I stopped there.
    This is a pretty good point, actually. I played this game when it was new, but I didn't really get into it (or the Final Fantasy series period) until later on. This game might have been good in that it was groundbreaking in mechanics and art. However, the story never really appealed to me much, and let's face it -- the story is what makes a Final Fantasy game stand out, it's the biggest thing we base it off of, and that kind of quality does not change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by obao98 View Post
    Seriously, WHAT GAME nowadays (or in the past few years), can you say that when they were released, they had the best graphics, music, story, gameplay, characters, etc??
    Mass Effect.

Firstly, enjoyed the review. Arguably the best game that Square released on the PS1.

Secondly, Square's been dead in the water ever since they merged with Enix. FFX being their last game before the merger and also their last good game shows the stark contrast in the company before and after the merger. They've been coasting on their reputation for far to long and they're well overdue for what one would consider a blockbuster release. Unfortunately, they seem to be happy with games that simply turn over a "meh" and regrettably that's what they will continue to publish until people stop supporting their work simply because it has their name on it.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I do like FFVII quite a bit, in fact I love all most all of the Final Fantasies, I'm going to be a bit weird and say that FFIX was my absolute favorite FF. FFVII was very good, but I believe that it is a bit overrated. FFIX has some of my favorite characters and a great story, even if the end is a little wonky. Steiner, Vivi and Zidane are some of my favorite characters in video games, period. I seriously think that FFIX is very underrated by most people.