15+ Year Old Account

Undeletable file is killing me!

Hi guys,

I am trying to delete this folder on my desktop but Windows (8) won't let me, saying: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System.

It's a folder that contained several dictionaries (more precisely .bin files) that needed to be mounted and then installed. I managed to easily delete the others but the latest one I installed doesn't want to go away. It's also weird, because every time I start my PC it's still mounted. But it doesn't make a difference if I eject it or not. I still can't delete the folder or the file.

I've tried several softwares (Unlocker, LockHunter and a third one I can't remember) but none of them worked. I've also tried ending EXPLORER.EXE and trying to delete the file through command prompt but somehow I couldn't find the file and delete it (perhaps I did something wrong?).

How do I get rid of it!

Appereantly the file was still mounted and the only thing that helped ejecting it was reinstalling magicdisk (the program that mounted) and then deleting the file. Weird, but it worked! :P. Thanks
    Last edited by iLive; 2012-04-02 at 01:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I always restart my PC and I can delete such files.

Maybe you could try to uninstall the program you use to mount.
    Statix will suffice.

The image is probably still mounted. right-click your CD-drives and eject.

Try this first: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...nt-delete-file, specifically the batch file suggestion.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-02 at 01:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    The image is probably still mounted. right-click your CD-drives and eject.

Seems mostlikely the case.

Haven't had a chance to play with Win8 very much yet but if simply restarting doesn't allow you to delete the file try enabling and restating in Safe Mode. Safe Mode isn't enabled by default but the link will show you exactly how to do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    Hi guys,
    because every time I start my PC it's still mounted. But it doesn't make a difference if I eject it or not. I still can't delete the folder or the file.

i dont think you guys have read the entire OP

15+ Year Old Account
    I just realised that it's still mounted, but it doesn't help ejecting it.

http://i.imgur.com/owDpB.png

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Try this first: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...nt-delete-file, specifically the batch file suggestion.
    Couldn't download the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Haven't had a chance to play with Win8 very much yet but if simply restarting doesn't allow you to delete the file try enabling and restating in Safe Mode. Safe Mode isn't enabled by default but the link will show you exactly how to do it.
    Link didn't work. :/

I doubt it's any help, I just saw the subject and I was reminded of a scenario a few years back. I had this file on my second HDD (completely random rubbish file, of absolutely no importance from what I could tell). It was embedded deep in a folder structure (folder 1/another folder/random third folder/etc), and I could for the life of me not delete it. I managed to delete every file in all of the directories, but I was forced to keep that file and the folder structure. From what I could tell, it wasn't used by the OS, or any program. Even after a Windows (XP) reinstall, I still couldn't delete the file. I assume the file is still there, but the HDD is somewhere in the closet.

Might not be helpful (can't see how it would be), but at least take solace in the fact that you're not alone from suffering from a similar phenomenon.

i had this problem before, i closed out the program i was using in task manager, then i went into my computer and i right clicked on virtual drive, and hit eject that way, then i was able to delete the folders or files no problem, but if your still having issues after you ejected maybe the program you downloaded the file with is still running? other then that i have no idea..

and i just noticed that you solved your problem, well anyway maybe someone else having this sort of issue will find help in this thread so ill leave what i posted.