Deleted

Ventrilo Static causing Huger FPS drops in WoW

I play WoW on an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop and all encounter a problem while raiding. Ventrilo often causes a static in my headphones which causes me to drop to around 5 FPS. Nobody else in my group hears the static, only me. Has anyone ever encountered a similar issue and found how to solve it?

Im going to venture that the interference would be causing your hard drive to have errors, or that they happen at the same time but are not directly causing one or the other just related problems. Id personally try to get a hold of another sound card and disable the onboard it sounds like it is shorting out.

When I played on my DV9000 and got static after a few months of having the laptop, I just called HP and had them fix it. Haven't had a problem with it since, but, it's sort of in a case right now, and hasn't been booted in nearly a year.

A lot of things could be causing static though. Not plugged in all the way, or incorrectly is the most common concern. Changing your audio format could possibly help. Re-installing the driver could help.

If you have a Turtle Beach headset, you may be out of luck from what I heard from a lot of people, but I've also heard from an equal amount of other people saying they've had no problems with static with those headsets.

When you hear static, and you start to see a latency jump, I doubt the issue is the exact same, probably more of a 'cause an effect' scenario. And I'm more then willing to bet it is a connection issue somewhere.

Do you have other ports to plug the headphones into? Are you able to change your audio format settings? Have you tried to change your vent settings to see if that helps? Have you tried to re-install audio drivers? Have you tried playing with your power-brick plugged/unplugged to see if there is a difference? Is there something else plugged into your laptop that is using power? (External harddrive connected via USB, but still using AC power.)

Make sure you're not running in some sort of power saver mode, even while plugged in.

Your soundcard will be tied to your CPU for audio processing, drop in CPU power could cause the issues you're facing, with static and FPS drops simultaneously.