Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sci-Fi tech - What would you like?

Out of all the various zillion Sci-Fi shows/movies (doctor who, star trek, star wars. battle star galatica, etc) what tech from those shows would you like, or what would you like us as a race to have?

I'd probably personally would like either the larger on the inside effect from the TARDIS (Doctor Who) or a holodeck [star trek] - (for storage space). I can think of some uses we (as a race) could use either (or both in tandem):

- Stores
    - Library -- If usising the TARDIS effect and a holodeck -- Have PHYSICAL shelf's along with virtual shelfs but top of either other (if the virtual self's ever go away the books will still stay in place, not fall to the floor). We could probably have a bloody large library - and yes I know the powerdrain would probably be gigantic but . . . .
    - Jails/prisons

I'd probably also like the replicators (Star Trek) - just 'order' anything you want. You guys?

10+ Year Old Account
    To be able to manipulate time at will, sort of like Nozdormu from WoW, there was a more sci-fiy (no that's not a word) example from a cartoon i watched a long time ago, but it escapes me atm.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Deleted
    Stargate, hands down.

Omni-tool, from ME (obviously ^^)

It's just so... useful. Healing? Got it. Phone? Yup. Weapon? For sure. Computer? That too. In addition to being able to link to just about anything electronic.

seconded, wtb stargate mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Stargate, hands down.
    Said in one.

Any form of mechanical exoskeleton.
    New and shiny compppppp!

Nanosuit 2.0.
    ALL THE WAY.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Stargate, hands down.
    Pretty much what I was going for. Portals, teleporting, warp gates, etc.

Space ships are cool, but dying in space s far FAR easier than people take for granted. Getting head shot by a piece of space debris going mach 1 would just ruin your day.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Omni-tool, from ME (obviously ^^)

It's just so... useful. Healing? Got it. Phone? Yup. Weapon? For sure. Computer? That too. In addition to being able to link to just about anything electronic.
    Just having the mass effect tech would be awesome

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    A supersexy robot like EDI!

Improbability drive, who wouldn't want to be a knitted character and vomit yarn.

The Holodeck can make every wild dream and fantasy that will be listed in this thread possible for you to enjoy. My vote is the Holodeck.

Stargate <3 I love that show to death, but I would really love a lightsaber. The downside of having a lightsaber is that you won't be in the Star Wars universe, therefore it gets scratched off my list. Unless I can live in the universe the item/device is in, it's sorta wasted tbh.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Here's a thought for you: The holodeck (trek) and TARDIS are somewhat similar -- space wise anyway (i know holodecks can't physically timetravel). The TARDIS is the shape of a police telephone box (normally small) yet for Doctor Who it's giant. As seen in the first episode of Star Trek (TNG) the holodeck seems somewhat small when you first walk in - with no program on but if you turn one on (baseball, sherlock holmes, etc) the space inside is also giant.

The TARDIS allows you to physically travel in time while on the other hand the holodeck can only recreate history that's in the computers databanks. Interesting thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever tech gets me to a far away planet.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Deleted
    The bio mechanical game system from the movie Existenz. Would have so much fun with that!

Stargate was amazing.

I also like Babylon 5 a whole lot. Really each race had very individual technology and designs. Plus it takes into account older and newer races and not everyone on some "equal" level across the universe.

If we could only have one piece of technology then I'd say FTL technology, only because once we figure that out there will be a complete explosion in the scientific community and we'll see a technological Renaissance like never before.