Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

i7 2700k + noctua d-14

hello

i built my computer some time ago and today i was gonna check how the temps are after the machine running for a while.

at clock 4,0 ghz volt 1,3110 i get 49-51c and that is with ht off. now for me that sounds like really high temps as i see people running 4,5-4,8 with those at less temp or similar. these are temps on load tested with prime95 with in-place large ffts.

if you could help me please, tell me what could have gone wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    hello

i built my computer some time ago and today i was gonna check how the temps are after the machine running for a while.

at clock 4,0 ghz volt 1,3110 i get 49-51c and that is with ht off. now for me that sounds like really high temps as i see people running 4,5-4,8 with those at less temp or similar. these are temps on load tested with prime95 with in-place large ffts.

if you could help me please, tell me what could have gone wrong.
    What are your ambient temps?

What are your pre-overclock temps?

Did you use any 3rd party thermal paste?

If anything your vcore looks too high? I recall people hitting 4.7ghz on a 1,330... so using 1,3110 on a 4ghz clock seems a little high.

Regardless, 50 degrees under stress is more than acceptable.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavik View Post
    What are your ambient temps?

What are your pre-overclock temps?

Did you use any 3rd party thermal paste?

If anything your vcore looks too high? I recall people hitting 4.7ghz on a 1,330... so using 1,3110 on a 4ghz clock seems a little high.

Regardless, 50 degrees under stress is more than acceptable.
    a) about 25
    b) it's from the motherboard, extreme mode. usually the i7 2700k is at 3,5ghz - 3,9 turbo.
    c) thermal from noctua, the one that is included.
    d) think i can hit around 4,5 without massive temp increase?

btw my ht is off (hyper threading) giving me 5 c better temps +/-

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to turn the hyper-threading off then you should not have even bought the i7-2700K (waste of $ imo) and instead bought the i5-2500K, which is arguably as good/slightly better in games, as it is.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If you're going to turn the hyper-threading off then you should not have even bought the i7-2700K (waste of $ imo) and instead bought the i5-2500K, which is arguably as good/slightly better in games, as it is.
    Never said I was going to turn it off, I just checked it with it off. Also the i7 is future proof what the i5 isn't. stop arguing about irrelevant things or leave the thread.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 12:27 PM ----------

Checkd some settings at bios. Fixed it and got at 4,7 GHZ with voltage at 1,3411, could probably drop it a bit, will have to check it a bit on stability. Also temps are 58-63 with spike hittin' 68 at max after 30 min test
    Last edited by Kezotar; 2012-04-03 at 12:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never said I was going to turn it off, I just checked it with it off. Also the i7 is future proof what the i5 isn't. stop arguing about irrelevant things or leave the thread.
    Since you said it, exactly why is the i7-2700K future-proof, whereas the i5-2500K is not? Considering they are almost the same EXACT CPU, except one has HT turned on and the other has it off, oh the i7 also has 2MB more of L3 cache... woohoo? My i5 will likely last me just as long as your i7, fyi. Still, it's best to be able to say "I bought this i7 because x and y tasks that I do require it."
    "A flower.

That's rubbish, the two are identical. The 2700k is slightly better binned, and that's literally the extent of the physical differences. In terms of features its hyperthreading is the literal only difference, which adds two virtual cores.

As for your original request, it sounds like you've got a fairly high voltage set imo.

Since you said it, exactly why is the i7-2700K future-proof, whereas the i5-2500K is not? Considering they are almost the same EXACT CPU, except one has HT turned on and the other has it off, oh the i7 also has 2MB more of L3 cache... woohoo? My i5 will likely last me just as long as your i7, fyi. Still, it's best to be able to say "I bought this i7 because x and y tasks that I do require it."
    Let go of the 2500k thing...it's his/her money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by k0smo View Post
    Indeed it is their money, I will not argue that - however, perhaps had they gotten the i5, they would have been able to get a better video card. Now if they're swimming in cash (most people aren't nowadays) then my points are all moot, but if they had a set budget, and got the i7-2700K but had to settle for the Radeon 6850, for example, then that's an issue. That extra $100 saved on buying the i5 would have been enough to get say a 6950.
    "A flower.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed it is their money, I will not argue that - however, perhaps had they gotten the i5, they would have been able to get a better video card. Now if they're swimming in cash (most people aren't nowadays) then my points are all moot, but if they had a set budget, and got the i7-2700K but had to settle for the Radeon 6850, for example, then that's an issue. That extra $100 saved on buying the i5 would have been enough to get say a 6950.
    See what you started? A conflict of what is better between an i5 and i7. GJ .. last time I seek these forums for advice.. thx alot .. I don't care if you can't afford it, not my problem but let it be, I don't care price / performance. I know that for rendering the i7 is much better so that's the reason i took it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    That's rubbish, the two are identical. The 2700k is slightly better binned, and that's literally the extent of the physical differences. In terms of features its hyperthreading is the literal only difference, which adds two virtual cores.

As for your original request, it sounds like you've got a fairly high voltage set imo.
    yeah, will put it down a bit.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 01:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k0smo View Post
    Thanks, but this guy bugs me.. check his posts.. 7k, where do you think he got them from?

a) about 25
    b) it's from the motherboard, extreme mode. usually the i7 2700k is at 3,5ghz - 3,9 turbo.
    c) thermal from noctua, the one that is included.
    d) think i can hit around 4,5 without massive temp increase?

btw my ht is off (hyper threading) giving me 5 c better temps +/-
    Id imagine you could do about 4.5 within another 20 degrees yea. Just don't go increasing your vcore, its already high enough.

OP,

Ambient temps are good. Even at 50c using Prime95, that's pretty good. As long as you stay below 70c, you'll be fine. You gotta remember, some people just get really lucky with their CPUs, others don't. Some can hit 4.7+ on air, some have a hard time getting 4.3 using the same exact settings. Things to consider/ask yourself:

-When was the last time you cleaned out your computer case? Dust can be a bit of an issue.
    -Is it located in a place where it can get a lot of air?
    -What's the fan setup like?

I wouldn't worry too much, try increasing the voltage and play around with the other settings. I believe Intel says to not go above 1.45 voltage. I'd stay below 1.40. Also, stay below 70-75c and you'll be fine (that's under full load).

In terms of the i7 vs i5, I think you made a good choice if rendering was your priority. I do a lot of 3D graphics and I'd spend the extra $100 if it saved me a few minutes rendering my 3D model in Vray or even in Visual Studio.

10+ Year Old Account
    See what you started? A conflict of what is better between an i5 and i7. GJ .. last time I seek these forums for advice.. thx alot .. I don't care if you can't afford it, not my problem but let it be, I don't care price / performance. I know that for rendering the i7 is much better so that's the reason i took it.

Thanks, but this guy bugs me.. check his posts.. 7k, where do you think he got them from?
    All you needed to say dude, I could have gotten the i7, however I didn't need it at the time.

Regarding my post count? Fun-stuff doesn't count, fyi. And I hardly post there anyways, a lot of my posts are very long and very informative.

I'm sorry I angered you, I hope you'll return, we tend to try and give help regarding anything, asking people regarding their reasons for an i7 vs an i5 is normal, because a lot of people think it's just like the i7-9xx vs the i5-7xx, which everyone knows was a big difference, whereas with these - in gaming, and since this IS a gaming forum, there isn't.

That's all dude, I'm sorry it became hostile.
    "A flower.

50c is a perfectly fine temp for a CPU. Anything above 70c is when you should start taking any concern. And tbh, it could happily go up to 90c before you really start to worry. Obviously the lower the temperature the better but for the clocks you have it sounds like it's fine. Voltage a tad higher than some might get but that's down the the silicon lottery of your cpu anyway.

That temp is a little above average but nothing to worry about, I sit at around that in a fairly warm environment and I've had no real problems.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2012-04-03 at 01:36 PM.

yeah, will put it down a bit.
    That's of course assuming the temperature is anywhere abnormal. An external factor is in ambient temperature, as well as various alignments of the stars (...not literally, but point being: It can be a bit random) and stuff.

As the i7 2700k is supposedly better binned, you should be able to tune down the voltage. Take it slow though.

10+ Year Old Account
    As other posters have said already, your temperatures are decent, you oughta try OCing with the HT on, since that's the whole purpose with the i7. 4.7 at 1.34v is not at all a bad OC, and the temperatures are alright, more are coming from the actual frequency of the card though rather than the voltage, but I'd say you could probably take that CPU to 5.0GHz. I would not start worrying until you are hitting 80+ Celsius, and if you go much into the 90s, then I'd be wondering if the heatsink is really properly installed, because it should keep that CPU pretty damned cool, even at load.

Also, what testing software are you using? I know personally the following are all great ones:

Prime95 (good for long testing)
    IntelBurnTest (pushes higher temps)
    OCCT (pushes higher temps, can do longer)
    Folding@Home (good for long testing)
    "A flower.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Temperatures vary depending on case, motherboard used can affect your Vcore, and as long as you are under 70c you're perfectly OK and within a reasonable range for a 4.5Ghz OC.

For a quick guide to hit your 4.5Ghz overclock check this one out. Should take you roughly 10 mins to set up in BIOS but then you will want to run a nice Prime95 blend test overnight to test the OC for stability.

After using that guide I sit with my 2500K @ 4.5Ghz on 1.38V with 58c max temp.

I'm curious to find out what your case / case fans are.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Temperatures vary depending on case, motherboard used can affect your Vcore, and as long as you are under 70c you're perfectly OK and within a reasonable range for a 4.5Ghz OC.

For a quick guide to hit your 4.5Ghz overclock check this one out. Should take you roughly 10 mins to set up in BIOS but then you will want to run a nice Prime95 blend test overnight to test the OC for stability.

After using that guide I sit with my 2500K @ 4.5Ghz on 1.38V with 58c max temp.

I'm curious to find out what your case / case fans are.
    400r from corsair. I managed to get it down as 1.312 hittin 57-63c with max 66 atm

I guess its about the same, looking at the temps and clocks

What's your goal anyway? 4.7 GHz? 4.8?