Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    <<Clicks most AoE Skills/CD's as a tank and also own 19 records in WoL apparently I suck for clicking *shrugs*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    OT:

No shit??? I miss that show so damned much!!! I'm going to check this out right now, that's so awesome that you played on LotHT.
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    2nd, "clicking is slow", no it is not, clicking faster than the GCD is very very simple, even in non-GCD games I found that clicking you could still beat animation timers even if they were ~0.2s.
    Here's your problem

Okay, let's see, here are two arcane mages. They both have full mana, they don't use and burts abilities, they just spam AB for let's say 20 seconds.

Mage 1 casts the AB, and when the castbar finishes or at ~100ms before finishing, he presses the button again.

Mage 2 spams the fuck out of AB button, pressing it about 10 times per second.

I SERIOUSLY hope that in 2012 most people aren't as clueless as they were before and they do realize that mage 2 deals more damage than the first one.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Here's your problem

Okay, let's see, here are two arcane mages. They both have full mana, they don't use and burts abilities, they just spam AB for let's say 20 seconds.

Mage 1 casts the AB, and when the castbar finishes or at ~100ms before finishing, he presses the button again.

I SERIOUSLY hope that in 2012 most people aren't as clueless as they were before and they do realize that mage 2 deals more damage than the first one.
    I know for a fact that clicking puts you at a disadvantage in most specs, but your comparison doesn't really help :P (mage 1 could be using keybinds and mage 2 could be a clicker)

On topic, gratz on the kill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    I know for a fact that clicking puts you at a disadvantage in most specs, but your comparison doesn't really help :P (mage 1 could be using keybinds and mage 2 could be a clicker)

On topic, gratz on the kill
    I have to agree that the example doesn't prove anything. The clicker could just be mashing Arcane Blast with his cursor instead of a keybind. Spamming one or two spells via keybind or cursor clicks isn't going to show any difference, but a rotation probably will. The main disadvantage of clicking over keybinding is literally having to locate and drag your cursor to every single ability you use while doing routine stuff like standing out of fire, moving, etc. It's definitely more optimal (and much easier, once you get the hang of it) to just bind several keys to a left-hand area, become familiar with where they are, and let your mouse be your movement/camera angle tool. But, to each his own. If he's having fun doing what he's doing, I don't see a reason to try and convince him to switch.

:3 Grats on the kill, nonetheless. My guild's OT is a blood DK and he's a clicker as well. I'll tell you what, his crazy good Deathgrips on Sappers during the Blackhorn fight, amidst all the other chaos, still impresses us to this day.

jesus christ you are the most accurate clicker i have ever seen, it makes me want to try out clicking myself

true story

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Here's your problem

Both our raids mages are clickers. Both have ranked single digits on multiple DS HC fights. As for your example, I can sure as hell click faster than I can button press.

Fact is, a lot of solo-ers seem to be clickers - not sure if it's coincidence or some personality trait.

I couldn't click, I'm a keybinder and will always be but I understand why some people play that way.

gz on the kill!

re: clicking, tank specs are the ones i usually am happiest with my button-arrangements and dps specs the least; interestingly opposite you. a couple suggestions on how to think about whittling down the buttons needed:

if certain spells are almost always cast in couplets/triplets etc, use a castsequence, even a cntrl/alt/shift override for the odd cases you want to cast one independently, as i do here to get both disease strikes onto one button
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence [nomod] reset=2 icy touch, plague strike
    /cast [mod:ctrl] plague strike

& pair similar spells with cntrl/alt/shift differences:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:ctrl] dark simulacrum; [nomod] mind freeze
    it's handy to keep rune-costs the same accross so-macro'd abilities, such as my fost spec having death strike as a shift off oblit. i'll break it now and then, like putting necrotic strike off blood strike as a tank since i almost never use the spell at all. other times logical utility makes it an easy choice, such as making outbreak a shift off of pestilence.

above and beyond condensing buttons-used with shift-macros, i'm a big fan of using a gamepad and setting certain buttons to switch the entire bars associated with your primary buttons so you have several bars at your fingertips, but that's getting off-subject

Cheer for the suggestion i might try it, i use to have a cast seq for my prot pally back in wotlk, but never knew about the Ctrl/alt override. Quite interesting.

First off, congrats. I've been slow in making solo progress of my own (Been clearing MC, ZG*, Kara, Mag, Ony*, and OS since WotLK, and have added Naxx,Ulduar, NewOny, Gruul, and Maly in Cata) but soon I hope to resume progress on Ulduar HM's and then LK himself.

Second, it used to bother me a bit that people thought that clicking was anything other than lazy to learn to keybind. However, you give clickers a good name. Very accurate. While you may not be able to KB as well as those of us who swear by it, many of us can not click as well as you (or would not be able to without practice).

Third, once again, congrats!

You are frighteningly accurate with your mouse, good sir. Like watching a sharpshooter.

Deleted
    Grats on the kill, fairly impressed to see a clicker do it. Pretty nice clicking I have to say, though I did see some mistakes caused by that. :P

More amazed about how are you able to play with that UI? It burned a whole in my eyes halfway through the video and I had to take a break to see it to the end.

Cheers for the comments, and the whole "ui" thing, yeah looking at the video i can see it's not the best, but i don't know, i'm so use to it, it dosen't bother me at all tbh, and when i need more room, i edit as i go. Like moving the scrolling text further apart, hiding Omens etc.

Looking at it, without the bars under the center, i think it would be better but i just can't play like that, well i can but i like my bars as they are, on my other tanks it is normally only 1 bar though, but for a dk i use 3 xD.

I may look into improving it though, keybind a fair bit more if i find what i want to be keybound etc.. and i may work on cleaning up my ui a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
    Too many buttons to bind? Lame excuse.

It's not a 'trend', performance is based on how quickly you react and move to every scenario, key binding enables you to react and respond quicker, but also you can instantly respond to abilities, you cannot physically do that by clicking.
    Well then since you aren't a clicker why don't you go solo LK?
    Should be easy right since you preform so much better and react so much faster with your keybinds?

I'm not a clicker myself, but as long as people stay out of bad shit and pull the numbers they are supposed to do what does it matter how they are playing?

Also grats on the kill!

Sorry but... defending clicking?

Say you click an ability that is off GCD. You just wasted (0.2s to half a gcd). Sure you can work around that with macros, but they pre-determine on what ability you'll be using which might not be the optimal ability.
    Say you have to place an AoE ability (DND anyone?) You have to click the ability, move your cursor up, click to place it again, move your cursor back down and click your next ability. Are you telling me you didn't waste time there?

I've met a lot of clickers, and there ARE really good clickers out there. I don't want to flame the OP either, kudos to him for doing what he did.
    However, you can't tell me that clicking is the best option or "just the same as" keybinding. If you sincerely believe so you should stop fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    To those seeming to want to flame clicking, I personally have been both a clicker, and a keybinder, at top levels of raiding/PvP in multiple different games, so what I am about to say actually comes from experience:

1st, alot of people seem to think you have to look to click skills; this is a complete and utter lie. It works exactly the same as keybinding does, you learn the amount you have to move to mouse to hit a certain skill and can do it without even looking at your skills and get off the right skill 99 times in 100. Yes, it takes longer to learn and is slightly harder to learn than learning keybind positions but by doing it over long periods you get this "memory" of exactly how far your mouse pointer moves from movement distances of the mouse. As I am sure alot of people are going to go "LOL WHAT A LIE I CANNOT DO THIS ITS FALSE", to put it into perspective watch any good FPS player on a PC, they are able to insta-move a mouse to the perfect position on a screen without having to track the pointer with their eye, MMO gaming pointer -> skill works exactly the same, you know the skill is there, you know how much youre moving your mouse, you know when your mouse and skill intersect.

2nd, "clicking is slow", no it is not, clicking faster than the GCD is very very simple, even in non-GCD games I found that clicking you could still beat animation timers even if they were ~0.2s.

3rd, clicking is for idiots who cannot learn to keybind; I would fire right back at you clicking successfully is actually harder than keybinding successfully. Good clickers can perform just as well as good keybinders.

4th, clicking removes the ability to RMB-turn; it does not remove it, it just interupts it. You will have to be unable to RMB turn approximately 0.1s in every GCD. At the end of the day this does not make a game unplayable nor does it lower your skill level. The worst part about this is that it does feel kind've meh and interupts the sensation of the flow of combat alot of the time even though it has very minimal effect on true performance. This feeling of flow was what eventually made me switch and keep to keybinds.

A good clicker, is just as good as a good keybinder.
    A bad clicker, is just as bad as a bad keybinder.

They are different playstyles, accept it, move on, and don't flame over it. Just because YOU are unable to play a game successfully when clicking DOES NOT mean that others cannot play a game successfully while clicking.

To the OP: huge gratz, especially at that gear level to successfully do something like this. Very impressive and keep up the good work

Keybinding is ALWAYS better.

Quote Originally Posted by Magania View Post
    Awesome job, gratz on the kill!

Ohh yeah, you are one hell of a clicker! really liked to see you prove everybody wrong that being a clicker sucks, cause your awesome!
    Being a clicker makes many mistakes on many encounters. For example; Moving while kiting/moving boss(es)/adds.
    (You can't turn the camera while doing it)
    I know ONE semi-clicker, at least knew - A mage on Stormscale EU, horde. I can't remember his name tho. But seeing him semi-click on his stream/tournaments was fucking amazing
    I'm a kittycat

Deleted
    Grats,nice work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcuse View Post
    Sorry but... defending clicking?

Say you click an ability that is off GCD. You just wasted (0.2s to half a gcd). Sure you can work around that with macros, but they pre-determine on what ability you'll be using which might not be the optimal ability.
    Say you have to place an AoE ability (DND anyone?) You have to click the ability, move your cursor up, click to place it again, move your cursor back down and click your next ability. Are you telling me you didn't waste time there?

I've met a lot of clickers, and there ARE really good clickers out there. I don't want to flame the OP either, kudos to him for doing what he did.
    However, you can't tell me that clicking is the best option or "just the same as" keybinding. If you sincerely believe so you should stop fooling yourself.
    If someone is able to "click" within a gcd he will perform exactly like someone spamming keyinds, it's pretty simple actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gratz mate, nice job
    Upcoming Norn Thief