Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Lightbulb Rift-like world PvE in SWToR

    Guys, wouldn't it be awesome if SWToR has world PvE like Rift does? I mean dynamic invasions, rifts and footholds (all can be easily introduced into SW universe, like some Mandalorians/Pirate/Whatever ship landed on the planet (rift), they built some fortifications/camps (footholds) and send their recon groups to some Imp/Rep objects (invasions)? Because it seems to me that implementation of something like this in the game like SWToR would work even better than in the Rift. It would make us to return to low level planets, having some extensive communication with other players of all levels, make the world really living and not so very static it is now (without even a zone phasing).

    So, what do you think?
    Last edited by Soulseeker; 2012-04-04 at 05:41 AM.

  2. #2
    I think that neat ideas are neat ideas, but implimenting events like this in TOR's engine and code base would be extremely difficult. Especially since they seemingly have not been planning for it.

  3. #3
    No doubt about it. It's just that recently the discussions on the matter of how will SWToR will get out winning from the forthcoming competition with other MMO's that's going to be released in the near time, that makes me think about it. Rift is somehow ended up being unpopular and still it's feature of very dynamic world PvE environment is definitely something I would hate to see to be unimplemented in other games. Basically, I believe that such thing is one of the ways SWToR (or other MMO's) cound get an advantage.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I think that neat ideas are neat ideas, but implimenting events like this in TOR's engine and code base would be extremely difficult. Especially since they seemingly have not been planning for it.
    That is your opinion and I hope you know the engine in great detail to validate your opinion. I think that all of that is possible since there already quests that have ships land and mobs drop from them. How can it be hard to have those ships land at certain times of the day and not when someone triggers them through quest?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebbah View Post
    That is your opinion and I hope you know the engine in great detail to validate your opinion. I think that all of that is possible since there already quests that have ships land and mobs drop from them. How can it be hard to have those ships land at certain times of the day and not when someone triggers them through quest?

    The ones in rift aren't really scheduled, but based on how long since the last one and the number of people in the zone.

    I'm not going to say I'm an expert in their engine, but what quests have ships 'land and mobs drop from them' that isn't instanced?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    The ones in rift aren't really scheduled, but based on how long since the last one and the number of people in the zone.

    I'm not going to say I'm an expert in their engine, but what quests have ships 'land and mobs drop from them' that isn't instanced?
    You dont specifically need quests that already have mobs spawn from an object. SWOTR has quests where mobs spawn upon completion of dialog or objectives. Not much of stretch from that. Just different triggers.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-04-04 at 03:39 PM.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome gualdhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebbah View Post
    That is your opinion and I hope you know the engine in great detail to validate your opinion. I think that all of that is possible since there already quests that have ships land and mobs drop from them. How can it be hard to have those ships land at certain times of the day and not when someone triggers them through quest?
    When Rift did it, they used a specialized proprietary engine and built their game around events like these. The TOR engine uses scripted events based on player input. Its possible to put Rift-style events in guess, but I can't see how they'd do it without reworking their game engine like obdigore said.

    Also, that is YOUR opinion, and I doubt you know any more about either game engine than anyone else.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

  8. #8
    Well what sort of dynamic event would TOR have? I can't really think of one... other than maybe a pack of rabid Jawas attacking some town and you have to group up with people to exterminate them. Other than that I don't know. Rift was solely based around their dynamic events being... rifts. They build the game from the ground up with that in mind.

  9. #9
    MMO-Champion, where threads can't go more than a few pages (posts in this case) before people start pointing out that it's "YOUR OPINION". Of course it is, that's why he said it.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  10. #10
    Republic troops landing on a sith controlled planet, Mandalorian raiders, hostile forces raiding a planet.

    I don't have a strong opinion on this either way. I can't get super excited about it.

  11. #11
    Mechagnome gualdhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    MMO-Champion, where threads can't go more than a few pages (posts in this case) before people start pointing out that it's "YOUR OPINION". Of course it is, that's why he said it.
    My hope was Sebbah would choose his words more carefully next time :P
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

  12. #12
    Yeah, I mean the big zone wide invasions are one of the most fun things about Rift for sure, and it would be great to see them in more games, but Trion have put a crap-ton of work into the back-end to make zone events and rifts function as smoothly as they do. SWTOR could try to implement dynamic PvE events of some kind, but it worked to a hefty bit of work.

    As a relatively fresh MMO, they already have a LOT of features to implement that they've already got in the pipeline. Starting to design and code something as new and drastic as dynamic PvE is very unlikely.

    That said, it could come in at some point in the future. I mean, wow is adding some kind of dynamic staged PvE events with MoP, right? So It'll be MoP, GW2 and Rift with dynamic PvE, and Tera and SWTOR without, in terms of top tier MMOs.

    That's assuming that GW2 isn't a massive let down that flops a month or two after release... (trolololol :P)

    "It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."

  13. #13
    they've already spoken and hinted that they have an "Events" team, they've not said too much other than that, i remember some bioware posts recently about it.

    http://torwars.com/2012/03/28/update...-world-events/

    http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...31#edit3651031


    as per the last one,

    "The team has been hard at work putting an event together that will... manifest after Game Update 1.2 reaches the live servers. The event will be quite widespread and should be hard to miss"

    so yeah soon

    think that neat ideas are neat ideas, but implimenting events like this in TOR's engine and code base would be extremely difficult. Especially since they seemingly have not been planning for it.
    i guess its a good job they have havent they!

    and i hope they arent like Rifts, aftter going through multiple invasions and stuff in rift constantly i got bored of the sight of them, and spent half my time hoping they wouldnt happen before i was absle to log off/get out of the zone.

  14. #14
    Tbh in Rift it was awesome for 2 days, after that it was fucking annoying, So hell no please.
    Trylb / Galesin
    Winners never quit, Quitters never win
    Nobody Said It Was Easy

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    i guess its a good job they have havent they!
    WTF are you talking about? One time programmed in event like the lead-ups to xpacks in wow are hugely different things than dynamic and randomly spawning 'invasions' of different zones. You realize those are two extremely different things in how they are handled (or not) by your code and game engine, right?

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    WTF are you talking about? One time programmed in event like the lead-ups to xpacks in wow are hugely different things than dynamic and randomly spawning 'invasions' of different zones. You realize those are two extremely different things in how they are handled (or not) by your code and game engine, right?
    What he is talking about is the dynamic events team for SWTOR they have put together. It is not a one time event leading up to an xpac. It actually takes place after 1.2 and I believe we have at least 1.3 and 1.4 before we see even a hint of a xpac. They said at the guild summit that they have a whole team put together to add these to the game and that they would be ongoing. Personally I cant wait to see what they throw together. Im actually pretty surprised to not see more people speculating on what these will be and how they take shape but its a interesting direction to see them go.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    What he is talking about is the dynamic events team for SWTOR they have put together. It is not a one time event leading up to an xpac. It actually takes place after 1.2 and I believe we have at least 1.3 and 1.4 before we see even a hint of a xpac. They said at the guild summit that they have a whole team put together to add these to the game and that they would be ongoing. Personally I cant wait to see what they throw together. Im actually pretty surprised to not see more people speculating on what these will be and how they take shape but its a interesting direction to see them go.
    Scheduled and time-limited events are not 'dynamic' events ala Rift's invasions.

    I said 'like the lead-ups to xpacks', not that there was going to be a TOR xpack anytime soon.

  18. #18
    The maps in SWTOR are too, Point A to Point B and not enough Point C?... Well the maps aren't big enough and too instanced. What they should have done was make 1 world really 1 world, the entire world, not 1 piece of it.

    Current Games: HearthStone, Eve Online, and World of Tanks
    Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV - "Hyperion" Server
    Current Game: Tera - "Valley of Titans" Server
    Current Game: WoW: MoP & Planetside 2 - BETA
    Current Game: SWTOR - "The Fatman" Server

  19. #19
    It shouldn't be too hard to expand some of those fatigue zones to expand the "working surface" of the planet no?

    I wouldn't imagine they would do something like this on say Korriban or Ord Mantel...but Tatooine or Hoth? sure why not.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    When Rift did it, they used a specialized proprietary engine and built their game around events like these. The TOR engine uses scripted events based on player input. Its possible to put Rift-style events in guess, but I can't see how they'd do it without reworking their game engine like obdigore said.

    Also, that is YOUR opinion, and I doubt you know any more about either game engine than anyone else.
    You have no idea about sw:tor engine but you do claim it's not capable of X or Y. Are you serious? And what do you mean with bold part? How do you know they have such module which runs without user input?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •