Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Can't download any new drivers to my computer

Subject edit: Can't INSTALL any new drivers. Downloading them isn't the problem, they all fail to install however.

Hey guys I'm not really sure where to start so I'll just tell you as much as possible.

I've started building my own PC but because it's going to bit expensive I have started out purchasing a new GPU and PSU because I can just put them in my current system until I get more money. My current system is an HP Elite m9250f (Link: ...h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3688702...). It was using an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT GPU which I have replaced with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Link: ....evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P3-1568-KR&family=GeForce%20500%20Series%20Family&sw=...). Because that GPU requires more power than my old system had all together I purchased a new PSU also (Link: ...coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6659...). My OS is Vista Service Pack 2.

After I had installed the new GPU and PSU I booted up and tried to download the GPU driver from the website. The reason I did that is because my disc drive hasn't been working for a long time (and by not working I mean when I put a disc into the drive it doesn't recognize there being a disc in there). After I downloaded the driver I right clicked and ran it as an administrator. The box came up saying it was installing but stopped a few seconds later saying Installation Failed. With no other information. I went to Device Manager and saw there was a PCI Device listed under "Other Devices". When I tried to install the driver from there it wouldn't let me do that either. Windows will prompt me to download the new driver every time I boot up. I found some where (I can't remember where) that when it tries to install the driver it gives an error code of 80070020.

I tried to get the disc drive to work using the information on the link above. I uninstalled the disc driver and tried to reinstall that, which isn't working either.

I downloaded Malwarebyte and ran a full scan but nothing came back so I don't think it's a virus

So my question is why can't I install any new drivers? I'm frustrated enough that I want to just wipe the whole system and start fresh but hopefully there is something else I can do. If you need any other info let me know!

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Securidad; 2012-04-04 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Subject clarification

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does your computer work if you put your 8800 back in? Nvidia.com recommends the same driver for the 8800 as it does for the 560. If you had the latest 8800 drivers you already had the updated drivers for your new card. If you didn't have the most up to date drivers for your 8800 you should just be able to install the updated driver with the 8800 installed. At least that's what I've done with my cards in the past.

Have you run the uninstall for the old nvidia drivers before you tried installing the new ones? In your device manager under display adapter what does it say with the 560 installed.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tried putting the old card back in because I have already deleted the drivers for it and I cant get drivers to install for any piece of hardware. For example my printer driver won't install, optical drive driver won't install and this GPU driver won't install. The error that I get from Windows is, "Windows found driver software for your device but encounter an error while attempting to install it. CD - ROM Drive. The system cannot find the file specified."

In Device Manager there isn't a Display Adapter tab at all. My PCI card is listed under Other Devices along with my Optical Drive and an Unknown Device.

I haven't ever had to trouble shoot like this before so I don't know where to begin
    Last edited by Securidad; 2012-04-04 at 07:11 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Darn, well if I had that situation I would reinstall windows. It really isn't to bad of a process as long as you make sure you have all your software available to reinstall.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not all that worried about getting everything back since I'll be making a new one in the future. I'm not sure how to reinstall Windows and clear everything off. System Restore doesn't work since it doesn't go far enough back. I don't think I have any of the discs that came with my computer originally