SSD Question, plus a few other noobish ones.

I've been meaning to upgrade my computer for quite awhile now, and even had it planned for a few months ago. Needless to say I haven't done it yet if I am asking this question lol.

Is getting an SSD drive to hold windows 7, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, and misc programs such as ventrilo, skype, google chrome etc worth it for the basic user? Cruising this forum for awhile the SSD i've seen promoted the most has been the 128 gig Crucial M4, so this is the one I am contemplating purchasing along side a 2 TB storage drive.

Also, should some programs be avoided on a SSD? Or should I install all my programs on the SSD. Keeping in mind I tend not to go install crazy, and stick to a fairly bare program folder.

If the other specs factor in at all with this decision, here is what I am currently looking at:

Asus S1155 ATX P8Z68-V PRO-GEN3 Motherboard
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...ryPartID=13424

Intel S1155 Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core CPU UNLOCKED
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...ryPartID=12361

DDR3 16GB (4x4G) Corsair 1600MHz Vengeance RAM Kit
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...ryPartID=12798

2TB Seagate 3.5" 5900rpm SATA 6Gb/s HDD
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...ryPartID=12420

NVIDIA GTX560 Ti 1GB ASUS PCIe Video Card
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...ryPartID=12425

22" Samsung S22A450BW LCD LED Monitor
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...ryPartID=13508

775 Watt Thermaltake Toughpower XT Modular Power Supply
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...ryPartID=11330

Another secondary question about the monitor I linked, is it suitable for gaming? The contrast ratio of 1,000:1 seems quite low compared to some others 1,000,000:1. Also the 5ms response time is beaten by others at 2ms. Would it be better idea to get something like: http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...?qryPart=12987 for only $10 dollars extra?

Thanks for all the help, as payment i'll dress up in motley and let everyone throw banana peels at me this weekend

I have a Crucial M4 128GB and must say it's a great drive. 128GB is not all that much however. If you want three big games installed at the same time, the drive will be pretty full. Keep in mind that for optimal performance, an SSD should be only 80% full. If filled more, it will start getting slow and it's expected life time will go down. The M4 used to be the fastest (in combination with reliability) SSD available. Right now it's outperformed by Samsung's latest SSDs but the M4 is still a good choice. And to answer your question: yes you should put as many small programs on the SSD. They'll benefit greatly from it's speed and hardly take up it's precious space.

Other than that, I'd cut a bit on the 16GB memory as it's overkill. 8GB is more than enough for any gaming use. The wattage on the PSU is also more than you'll need. Even if you intend to SLI two 560 Ti's in the future you won't need that much. I'd spend the money you'll have left over on a 256GB SSD.
    Last edited by xyrr; 2012-04-04 at 06:11 PM.

Hmm... the increase in price from a 128 gig to a 256 gig is significantly greater than the savings from the ram(the 16 gig is on special), and PSU(775 to 650). Still, that is a very good point, while I only plan on playing two games, if I ever want a third it might get crowded.

I don't ever plan on running two graphics cards, but a GTX580 or higher is on the cards in 6 months or so.

I might stick with the 16 gig simply because its on special, but get the 256 gig M4 as well just to be on the safe side. I can always sell my old computer to make up the difference. Its still a 1200 dollar machine, and I can sell it to a mate for 200 or so.

Anyone want to weigh in on the monitor issue? I am leaning towards the higher contrast ratio and faster ms, not because I know what I am talking about, but just because it sounds like it might be better for gaming.

Deleted
    I have a few suggestion to save you money and/or get better performance:

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.00 @ Scorptec)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($169.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Mwave Australia)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($137.99 @ Mwave Australia)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($285.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($135.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($175.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $1355.98
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-04-05 04:32 EST+1000)

Motherboard - similar features, front USB 3.0 header etc. but will cost you less (Z77 Extreme4 motherboard if you're waiting for Intel IvyBridge CPU)
    CPU - Intel should be releasing their new CPU's this month so it might be worth waiting for, if not the i5-2500k is perfect
    CPU heatsink - I suggest you buy an aftermarket heatsink (I'll provide a link further down) if you intended to overclock your CPU (really easy nowadays with SB/Ivy)
    RAM - You don't need 16GB, I picked some low profile ones to fit with better with an aftermarket heatsink (see above) If you insist on 16GB buy 2 sets of the ones linked
    HDD - Cost slightly bit more but it's 7200RPM, even for storage I wouldn't get a slow 5900 drive
    SSD - As you mentioned the Crucial m4 128GB is a great choice. Reliable, performs well and at a descent price point
    GPU - 7850 is newer generation, less heat/power and more memory, better in the long run. If you can afford it go for a 7870 (better than GTX570 and similar to GTX580)
    PSU - better quality (you don't need more than 650W)
    Monitor - saved you a little bit and found some 2ms, 300 cd/m², 10,000,000:1 (ASCR)

There are a few things missing, like a case, optical drive etc. I'll add them and a recommendation for a CPU heatsink. If you don't need anything I add just ignore it.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Scorptec)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Mwave Australia)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer ($29.00 @ Scorptec)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 3-Pack (64-bit) ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
    Total: $286.99
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-04-05 04:47 EST+1000)

To comment on the choice of a monitor: don't look at contrast ratio. Contrast ratio is like toothpaste commercials. The promise of blinking white teeth may seem attractive (like a high contrast ratio) but it just doesn't live up to its promises. All that a contrast ratio is are some values measured in unnatural circumstances. They don't hold any real life value. To give an example: I had a 10.000:1 monitor before, and now I have a 10.000.000:1 monitor. A 1000 times better? Nah, they look exactly the same.

Response rates are often unreal too. Monitors with a really low refresh rate (1-2ms) usually have some kind of technology that claims to "boost" the response rate. As long as you're at 5ms or under you'll be fine. 2ms if you prefer but don't fall for the 1ms trick.

Very impressive Notarget, I've never built a computer before, but that list has me seriously considering giving it a go given the large price difference.

this is what i got after months of deliberations:

Intel Core i5 2500K LGA1155 BOX
    Asrock P67 PRO3 (B3) Intel P67 LGA1155 (PCIE/DZW/GLAN/SATA/RAID/DDR3) - 80$ for amazing non sli build. Z is much more expensive and atm waste of $
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD7950 3GB DDR5/384bit DVI/HDMI/mDP PCI-Express - great overclocking, silent and not as expensive. but i would get 7870 if pressed for $. not 560ti/570
    Corsair DDR3 8GB(2x4GB) 1600MHz Vengeance CL8, for games and fraps its enough
    Corsair SSD Force Series 240GB SATA3 (CSSD-F240GB3-BK) 2.5". 300$, but now i really can install all on it.
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA3 (ST2000DL003) - cheapest 2tb
    CoolerMaster Haf 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP, only 140$ where i got it
    OCZ StealthXStream 2 SLI 700W - cheapest psu with 6sata i had
    Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B SCMG-2100 - highly recommended and i got convinced. perfect in my case
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM

i am very very happy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Very impressive Notarget, I've never built a computer before, but that list has me seriously considering giving it a go given the large price difference.
    You should, it's really not that hard. Just take your time, check the motherboard manual to see where most stuff connects and did I say, take your time?

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches

Building-Your-First-Computer-in-9.75-Steps