Thread: New Earbuds

New Earbuds

Hey there guys and gals! I have been shopping around online for some new buds for my iPhone and can't make my mind. I have a $100 budget and mostly listen to metal and classic rock. I have been eyeing Monster Turbines or the Bose in ear. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.

The maximum money you should spend on any such piece of equipment is $20. What you are paying for when you buy shit that is expensive as the Monster or Bose products is the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    The maximum money you should spend on any such piece of equipment is $20. What you are paying for when you buy shit that is expensive as the Monster or Bose products is the brand.
    For ear buds, yes. For over the ear headphones, there is a noticable difference in quality between the low cost stuff and the better stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106241
    I'd disagree about ear buds. Well to be accurate, in canal ear phones aren't ear buds. But people call them that a lot. The sound quality you can get from in canal is amazing. Since they operate in such a different way from regular headphones a bit. There is such a seal between the driver and your eardrum, it's like it's directly vibrating your drum. Love them. And they cancel out so much ambient (this is good and bad of course sometimes). These are great though. I had a pair, broke the jack on an airplane getting out of my seat with them plugged in. I fell in love with in canal so much I went and spent 70$ on some SURE models, they're not nearly as nice, at almost 3x the cost. They're ok, but I liked me sennheisers better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a pair of Sennheiser something something (I can't remember the version name), they cost me about 35€ and have a really great sound for such a low price product.

EDIT: Found the version name, it's these:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...et-line_502845
    Last edited by Shakadam; 2012-04-05 at 09:43 AM.

Deleted
    Why go for buds when you can get a decent pair of cups with that budget?

Cans are fine, and can give good sound. But really in canal phones can give better sound at the same price in my experience. But since they cancel noise so well, they can't be used in all situations. I don't think I'd every ride a bike with them in. Can't always use them at work, if people need to be able to hail you.

But I'd guess mostly they don't want cans because it's for their ipod. Definitely don't want to lug a set of headphones around with you all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to always buy noise reduction ear canal ones and I never spend a lot on them because I am forever breaking them, the funniest thing is that I have found some of the much cheaper ones $15 - $20 can sometimes offer better sound quality than the more pricey ones.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    For ear buds, yes. For over the ear headphones, there is a noticable difference in quality between the low cost stuff and the better stuff.
    Once you get past $40 there is a huge diminishing returns on them, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    skullcandy. hands down. and if you happen to run or work out they stay in your ears.

plus they come in a gazillion colors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Once you get past $40 there is a huge diminishing returns on them, though.
    I like this guy, makes perfect sense.

Mine cost $10, better than Beats in ear headphones.

Deleted
    I'm definitely not an expert but my I'm more than happy over my $40 Sennheiser earbuds.

I generally get whatever is the cheapest as long as I'm confident it won't break immediately. If you have $100 available, I suppose you could go with a $20-25 model, but anything past that and you're paying more for the logo then an actual increase in sound quality.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Thanks for replies. I'm actually going in a completely different direction with the money now. Thanks again all!!
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.

10+ Year Old Account
    JVC Gummy-Marshmallow earbuds FTW... $14.99 ... best frequency response out of ANY other earbuds I've seen.

Deleted
    for a phone / mp3 player a nice pair of £15 earbuds work well especially for noise cancelling if you're using them on the bus or wherever. Also means that everyone around you doesnt also have to listen to your music too, it's nice not to be a dick sometimes.

My advice is to save your money, because earbuds are shit.