Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Cameras] Entry level SLR cameras?

After loaning my friend's camera for taking pictures with, at Copenhagen Games I've been interested in SLR Cameras, however the one she's currently got costs $2200, is there any entry level SLR Cameras? I've got a digital camera and it's just horrible to take pictures with.

I'm living in Greenland, and often encounter these:
    http://ow.ly/a7cE2

I'd like to be able to take pictures of those, Digital Cameras aren't able to take pictures of those
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Digital SLRs can. There's no reason to get a film SLR anymore.

What's your price range? Something like a Canon EOS (various models) might work for you... going to cost several hundred to a couple thousand US dollars, depending on the model, lens, whether it's used.... (unless you get a bunch of different lenses... which you might, if you really enjoy it as a hobby... then the cost is incalculable).

Edit: An entry level film SLR costs as little as $50... but you'll make up the difference quickly buying and developing the film.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-04-06 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm aiming for a $600-800 pricerange

I'll look up on the EOS! Thanks!
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I'm aiming for a $600-800 pricerange

I'll look up on the EOS! Thanks!
    It's a fun hobby. i have a 7 year old Canon EOS Rebel XT, still going strong. Cost about $1000 at the time, with an 18-200mm lens. I'll try dig up some random pictures I've taken with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, thanks ^^

So it is a possibility in the ~$800 range?

Armory

Awesome, thanks ^^

So it is a possibility in the ~$800 range?
    I haven't shopped for cameras in a few years, but I would imagine you could get something good for $800 or less. Are you familiar with SLR photography?

Here's some random pics I took. Not going to link them directly in here, so here's a link to an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/TCSSu#0 . Can't really do that with a non-SLR camera.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any experience with SLR Photography, hence why I'm interested in starting =)

Nice album, I really like the pictures, can't wait ^^

Armory

I don't have any experience with SLR Photography, hence why I'm interested in starting =)

Nice album, I really like the pictures, can't wait ^^
    OK, most digital SLRs are sold as just the body, as the lenses are detachable and interchangeable. So do some research on the bodies and find something that sounds good. At first, you'll want a general purpose lens to go with it (something like the 18-200mm I mentioned above... that's the zoom).

Thanks. I personally like the one of the corroded nail sticking out of the wood, but I included the two color ones (especially the fire one) because it looked like you wanted to take pictures of the aurora borealis.

In fact... changing my avatar...

Deleted
    After loaning my friend's camera for taking pictures with, at Copenhagen Games I've been interested in SLR Cameras, however the one she's currently got costs $2200, is there any entry level SLR Cameras? I've got a digital camera and it's just horrible to take pictures with.

I'd like to be able to take pictures of those, Digital Cameras aren't able to take pictures of those
    This is what I went for. I don't really consider it to be entry-level, but it's not top of the line either. Either way it's amazing and definitely a worthy investment.

Sorry in advance, Mods, if links to products aren't allowed.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|25417975.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    It's done on the front page often. Better be allowed. Brand bashing isn't, but that's very different.

Edit: and yes, something like that Canon is what I'm talking about. How is yours working for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, silly question: Can you film using the camera?

Armory

My older model can't. I think most newer ones can.

This is what I went for. I don't really consider it to be entry-level, but it's not top of the line either. Either way it's amazing and definitely a worthy investment.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|25417975.htm
    We use that exact camera for product photo's for brochures and what not. My colleague who is more into these things says it is a very decent quality camera if you are just getting started.

Also he notes that you should check several online retailers and stores because there are a lot of packages out there with lenses and with just the body. So you can actually get a good deal but it looks expensive because there is already a lens combined in 1 package.
    This one for instance also has a lens in the package already but a less good one. See how big the difference in price can be:
    http://www.redcoon.nl/B372732-Canon-...excameras#39;s
    That is 800 pounds vs 570 euro's

Deleted
    Yeah you can At the bottom of the page on that link is a list of functions etc.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's done on the front page often. Better be allowed. Brand bashing isn't, but that's very different.

Edit: and yes, something like that Canon is what I'm talking about. How is yours working for you?
    Working really well, thanks. Using it for wildlife photography and flowers mostly. Waiting for the bees to come out in force so I can get some of them

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    We use that exact camera for product photo's for brochures and what not. My colleague who is more into these things says it is a very decent quality camera if you are just getting started.

Also he notes that you should check several online retailers and stores because there are a lot of packages out there with lenses and with just the body. So you can actually get a good deal but it looks expensive because there is already a lens combined in 1 package.
    This one for instance also has a lens in the package already but a less good one. See how big the difference in price can be:
    http://www.redcoon.nl/B372732-Canon-...excameras#39;s
    That is 800 pounds vs 570 euro's
    Aye, there are packages on the Argos site as well, I just jumped to a well-rounded one that was on there primarily to display the features of that particular camera.

But yeah, buying the body and the lense seperately or in a package if possible would save some money.

Working really well, thanks. Using it for wildlife photography and flowers mostly. Waiting for the bees to come out in force so I can get some of them
    AfgfhhAAAH bees scare the piss out of me. Yes... yes... I know honey bees rarely sting unless you're threatening the queen... but still.

I have two flowering trees outside my place that are about to bloom 2 months early, planning to get some cool shots of them (lol, global warming? who knows).

It's fun just to walk around actually looking at things. My favorite part of the hobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    canon rebel t2i is an excellent entry level SLR camera. normally it's listed around $800-850. But you can find them for sale in the $700-750 range.

On sale at newegg for under 700
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm personally a nikon fan, and think their entry level SLRs are better. Canon rebels suffer a bit from megapixel syndrome, where they sacrifice quality for MP size.

I'd look into the d5100 http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...478/D5100.html

If you're willing to wait a couple of months the d3200 looks interesting. http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/28/29...egapixel-wi-fi

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any idea what the pricepoint would be on the 3200 Mahar? =)

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Presumably they'd price it to replace the 3100, at 650$. The 3100 is s decent camera too. If you have any interest in video, I'd go for the 5100, or wait to see if they plan to improve video support in the 3200.

Here is the answer, no more confusion. (And I agree, get a DSLR not a film one)

THE BEST DSLR ENTRY LEVEL IS.... da da da daaaa: The Canon Rebel T3i. It uses the same sensor as the Canon 7D, so you're going to get gorgeous photos assuming you learn how to take pictures, plus it is incredibly beautiful in video mode. The cost? $799 (850 usually but B&H has a 50 dollar off until Apr. 21)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

Enjoy! It's THE BEST entry level DSLR you'll find.

Note: Plus, you'll be able to capture beautiful aurora's in the sky!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__