Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    So basically you are angry because they are only looking into how to solve the issue of ppl who move around, that they haven't come up with the solution to the issue yet. Hm hm hm. And it's not like other games don't limit clients to regions.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-04-06 at 12:56 PM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Why would they even do this? Have they given any reason why they believe this is a good thing?

Its propably to prevent ppl from EU buy US copy of game (which in direct currency conversion is cheaper deal for EU) and play from EU. So it should be problem mostly for ppl who plan travel a lot between EU and US (this ppl will propably wait with buying game till solution is announced), or ppl from EU who planed buy US copy to save some money (propably will wait too to see if they still can buy cheaper copy and play with it without problem).

For others who just buy game either from Anet directly or shop where they live, nothing changed. And info that after you bought game you can play on any server is good info for ppl who live in US and planed to with friends in EU and oposite.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're overexhaggerating. I see no problem with this.
    You can still play on NA servers if you play from the EU and vice versa, but you can't use a US copy if you playin the EU and vice versa.
    It's a continent restriction, not a country restriction. World of Warcraft had the same thing. I don't see what you're so upset about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashim View Post
    Seems a little over the top to prevent gold farming. They're generalising a but much too. They already have the mechanics of their cash shop (which I think is really good. poo to the haters that think xp is power and all the other QQ nonsense they spout) so why the need for this I wonder? =/
    Any reason why are you linking this to gold farming? Unless gold farmers would like buy copy of game cheaper outside region they live, it wont interfere at all, or am I missing something?

Also a little unsettling to hear that Asia gets no dedicated center. Aren't we expecting quite a few Koreans to play this game? Like, legit and competitive and such? Now I believe Koreans have the highest average connection speeds per household (or 2nd highest, but it's up there) but I imagine it's still going to suck.
    Maybe they will add more datacenters later, or as game is aimed at casuals they dont see Asian market as that big deal as EU and US which seems to have casual explosion now with every1 claiming to be tired of grind and stuff.

At end, there is even no relase date, so a lot can change, only major issue I can see, is with pre-purchase. Good they they announced this before ppl paid for game not after.

wow this technique is so old and is absolutely unnecessary, even sony changed their way back (or are going to) allow region changing.

Lol......I just had a terrible thought.....
    How is this discussion going down on guru?

lol this ruins my plans of VPN to NA to get a cheaper digital copy being from EU

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Lol......I just had a terrible thought.....
    How is this discussion going down on guru?
    "We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter." So you'll go to the NA datacenter.
    So no oceanic, if you are oceanic you go to NA.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...85#post1297685
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how WoW works, don't see alot of trouble in it.
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    So no oceanic, if you are oceanic you go to NA.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...85#post1297685
    Aye I saw that earlier Thanks though I'd prefer to default to EU...but meh...we'll see what happens. At least I can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashim View Post
    I still don't understand if you can switch servers on the go like GW1 for PvE stuff. I get that you have only 1 server you have your characters on: home server. And that's the one you represent for WvW but it's still unclear to me if they're letting us essentially have a change district style UI and hop over to a completely different home server in game to play with other folks in PvE. Emphasis on PvE.

Seems a little over the top to prevent gold farming. They're generalising a but much too. They already have the mechanics of their cash shop (which I think is really good. poo to the haters that think xp is power and all the other QQ nonsense they spout) so why the need for this I wonder? =/
    Also a little unsettling to hear that Asia gets no dedicated center. Aren't we expecting quite a few Koreans to play this game? Like, legit and competitive and such? Now I believe Koreans have the highest average connection speeds per household (or 2nd highest, but it's up there) but I imagine it's still going to suck.

We can only hope that the service to change connection points are as fluid as possible or else they will get tons of flack for this.
    i dont get either, tbh, they keep syaing they want the game to be a e-sport, and not having a Asian Dedicated server, will not help their goals.

Korea home of E-sports not getting their own server is BAD

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    i dont get either, tbh, they keep syaing they want the game to be a e-sport, and not having a Asian Dedicated server, will not help their goals.

Korea home of E-sports not getting their own server is BAD
    Yeah, we don't know how well the game will compensate for increased lag, but I do think that they may do the same thing that LoL did and that is simply to introduce GW2 in Korea later on. Korea is very active on the e-sport scene, so it may be possible they will go there later once everything is well recieved and polished. I also think Koreans very much prefere to have the game in their own language, a lot of their pro gamers don't speak english at all and dunno if ANET will have that ready at launch.

considering how popular the game already is in Asia, i'd be.......ummm...flabbergasted if they didn't have an asian datacenter.
    However, they're probably just in the process of setting it up. It's a bit complicated over here so will take a bit more work.
    By complicated, I mean a datacenter to cover all of Asia. EU, US easy....here, not so much.

1. Charge Europeans significantly more for the same product. Argue that it "helps support your country". Pocket the difference.

2. Get seen through.

3. Block people who buy for reasonable prices from playing completely with draconian region lock out DVD-style... in an internet-based MMO. Lock out travellers out of their own accounts as well.

4. Profit.

NCSoft is certainly doing its damnest to kill a great game.

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 02:22 PM ----------

considering how popular the game already is in Asia, i'd be.......ummm...flabbergasted if they didn't have an asian datacenter.
    However, they're probably just in the process of setting it up. It's a bit complicated over here so will take a bit more work.
    By complicated, I mean a datacenter to cover all of Asia. EU, US easy....here, not so much.
    There won't be one. I believe that they stated some time ago that "Asian release" will be much later, tentative guesses were at sometime in 2013. Can't source it right now, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Oceanian residents got equally screwed.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-04-06 at 02:22 PM.

and here we go again...
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    There won't be one. I believe that they stated some time ago that "Asian release" will be much later, tentative guesses were at sometime in 2013. Can't source it right now, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Except for that fact that they've already done a lot for Korean locatlisation as of gamescom.
    And please don't start the whole developer/publisher thing.........I'm not sure I can take another one of those...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    1. Charge Europeans significantly more for the same product. Argue that it "helps support your country". Pocket the difference.

2. Get seen through.

3. Block people who buy for reasonable prices from playing completely with drakonian region lock out DVD style. Lock out travellers out of their own accounts as well.

4. Profit.

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 02:22 PM ----------

The delayed release kind of copies the LoL strategy. Polish first and then release in Asia. Same way asian games take a year or longer to make ready for europe or amerika launch. From what I notice nowdays Korea e-sport got LoL fever anyway, so rushing there with GW2 now would be badly timed. As for the price if you can't pay 60 euro for b2p MMO, you probably don't play games. (or don't pay for them)

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 02:29 PM ----------

Except for that fact that they've already done a lot for Korean locatlisation as of gamescom.
    And please don't start the whole developer/publisher thing.........I'm not sure I can take another one of those...
    So korean version will be ready at the same time english version will ?
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-04-06 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    So korean version will be ready at the same time english version will ?
    No. At least as far as I know. Localisation and development are 2 very different things There's nothing about asian releases yet.
    But remember how good the game looked at gamescom?
    It's surely on the cards. I can't tell you how much ppl are anticipating the game over here just in china...it's pretty big. Korea must be swarming.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only part that will be region locked from all this is the login servers. You can still play and even put your home server on any server you want. I actually think they will store the account/character info in said region. So all NA players will store them in NA and all EU will be stored in EU. Nothing else.

No. At least as far as I know. Localisation and development are 2 very different things There's nothing about asian releases yet.
    But remember how good the game looked at gamescom?
    It's surely on the cards. I can't tell you how much ppl are anticipating the game over here just in china...it's pretty big. Korea must be swarming.
    I fully expect it to be ... but without korean/chinese release ready, there is little point to making asian data center.