Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't mind those 10 extra euro's

And I'm like, Dutch and we're somehow known to be the greediest kinds of people on earth

I'm seeing a lot of whining about a trivial thing...

Some people just complain to complain... You'll probably buy the game after all and then tell everyone how good it is.

They solve more problems by doing this than they create problems, so those very few 0.5% of the playerbase who changed region regulary or so are no big deal.

Oh and btw.. What about the cash shop? You missed the "We will only sell cosmetic things and char slots/bank space etc etc and nothing that affects gameplay" part aswell?
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    Actually... WoW is a much bigger "screw the customer" (using your own words).

In GW2, you will have to buy ONE game and can play anywhere you want.
    In WoW, you will have to buy TWO games so you can play anywhere you want.
    Again, this is a lie. If you buy GW2, you can only play in your region. Go anywhere else, and you're locked out of your account.
    WoW only locks you into server list of the region, but you're never locked out of your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    Now tell me how is GW2 worse? About your example... you bought an american game but you can only play on the american servers. The day you decide to play with your brother/uncle/wife/whatever that play on a Finish server, you will see how WoW system sucks.
    Notably EU servers came long after US servers, and most EU players who started early were playing on US. Blizzard, being very customer friendly pre-Activision purchase offered free transfers to everyone who wanted to newly created EU servers. So indeed, if you "decided you play with your relatives" at this point, you could, and many did take that option. You did not need to buy a second game or reroll, or even pay.

NCSoft's version of account lock out is in a whole different level of evil, completely locking people out of their own accounts. Blizzard doesn't care where you are, hell if you want to play really cheap, you can buy a russian WoW and pay only about 10€ monthly, and Blizzard is OK with that.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-04-07 at 04:05 AM.

Their best decision since they decided to make the game. I have no use for people from anywhere else in the world to keep teleporting out of my stuns because of their ping.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

Quote Originally Posted by jotad4 View Post
    Their best decision since they decided to make the game. I have no use for people from anywhere else in the world to keep teleporting out of my stuns because of their ping.
    Err, you're going to have a lot of such people because people can move between servers freely. You just won't be able to move out of your general region and play, but there's nothing stopping you from going to a server in a far away location with horrible pings associated.

It's a client region lock-in, not a server region lock-in.

^

How many people do you think there are that actually travel / move often enough for this to warrant any issue... Pretty sure Anet won't really care about the 10 people who won't buy the game, who actually still will...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Again, this is a lie. If you buy GW2, you can only play in your region. Go anywhere else, and you're locked out of your account.
    WoW only locks you into server list of the region, but you're never locked out of your account.
    It's the same in both cases. If you're in NA in WoW and you want to play in both NA/EU, you need separate, unique accounts since the servers are separated by region. You can play on either regions servers where you want, but you still need two copies of the game.

If live in NA and want to play GW2 in both NA/EU, you need one copy of the game. But if you are going to be spending time in the EU, you need to purchase another copy of the game to play with in the EU, separate from your US account.

Both instances: You need two unique accounts. So it's identical. And as Rubi said on their Facebook, they're going to look at ways to accommodate people who either frequently travel between multiple continents or have to move to another continent.

You're just nitpicking now, I'd suggest stopping since at this point all you seem to be trying to do is stir up controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    And as Rubi said on their Facebook, they're going to look at ways to accommodate people who either frequently travel between multiple continents or have to move to another continent.
    You're just nitpicking now, I'd suggest stopping since at this point all you seem to be trying to do is stir up controversy.
    ^^ It is still a work in progress. 'Nuff said.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't to stop people from playing the game from different regions, it's to stop the companies that buy games from cheaper regions and sell the serials to US/EU customers, thereby losing the developer income.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    I don't mind those 10 extra euro's

And I'm like, Dutch and we're somehow known to be the greediest kinds of people on earth
    If I was dutch, I'd need every 10 euros for weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself, how many people will be actually travelling to different continents long enough to warrant concern about this issue?

My guess is very little.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    At no point am I blocked from accessing any of my WoW accounts from any point on the planet based on my geolocation. Ever.

I will be blocked from accessing either of two GW2 accounts (EU or NA) depending on my location. I will never be able to access both at the same time under the suggested draconian account lock-in.

How is this "nitpicking" or "stirring controversy" when facts are clearly laid out, and there is much more challenge in drawing similarities between these very different models then finding differences? One is about choosing which region's server you will play on, the other is choosing what places on the planet you can access your account from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    Not to start anything racist here, but...I've not heard of this. All the comedians aren't making greed jokes about the dutch. >_>

But, to be on-topic... so long as it's possible to play on any server regardless of region, or set servers of any region as your home server, I don't think I'll have to worry about this.
    It is odd if it truly is the case that you need to get an extra account to play from other regions, but at least I don't travel a lot.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well then, it seems that I won't be getting this game after all. As a european with a ton of NA friends, I was planning on playing with both them and my european friends, but now that I'm being locked out I simply see no reason to get it.

And sadly it's becoming the norm for companies to lock players out it seems. And yes I'm well aware Blizzard does it aswell.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    Well then, it seems that I won't be getting this game after all. As a european with a ton of NA friends, I was planning on playing with both them and my european friends, but now that I'm being locked out I simply see no reason to get it.

And sadly it's becoming the norm for companies to lock players out it seems. And yes I'm well aware Blizzard does it aswell.
    You misunderstand. You can play with other players. Server selection is (as far as we've been told) free for all.

Region lock-in is client-side. You must be in a certain location on the planet to access your account. I.e. if you can access the game, you can play with anyone. But if you're in the wrong region, the game will lock you out of your account completely.

You misunderstand. You can play with other players. Server selection is (as far as we've been told) free for all.

Region lock-in is client-side. You must be in a certain location on the planet to access your account. I.e. if you can access the game, you can play with anyone. But if you're in the wrong region, the game will lock you out of your account completely.
    Oh, if that's how it is, as in I can actually play with my NA friends, then I've been worrying for no reason. Sure I plan on traveling quite a bit, but I could live without GW2 for a few months at a time.
    Edit: The wording in their original post doesn't exactly make it too easy to understand.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

How is this "nitpicking" or "stirring controversy" when facts are clearly laid out
    Calling it "draconian DRM", when it's nowhere near that considering the small number of people who travel to different continents and play games there with any relatively frequency. That and the fact that as I've stated before, Anet has already admitted that they are aware that this will cause issues for some people and they are looking into a way to accommodate people who have to travel between continents but don't want to lose access to their playtime.

And you're right, WoW doesn't lock you out based on your geolocation, but it does dictate who you can or can't play with based on which version of the game you purchased, which is very similar to region locking the client side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Region locking is nothing new. (How else are Europeans and the like going to get the correct langauge pack for example, not by buying the U.S version thats for sure) Mif also has a valid point about cross region selling. The client is locked, the server you choose to play on is not.

Anet have said they are working on a solution for people who move around etc, for example it could be something as simple as , you login, your account gets locked, they have an on screen message saying please check your email for a unique code, key it in, hit enter.. access all areas. Much like Rift does with coin locking. Anet are not stupid and as you can see from the game thus far they are quite intuitive, to rage at them when they have clearly stated that a solution will be avail at some time in the future (most likely by release) that they will do something that wont put you at too much of a disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Region locking is nothing new. (How else are Europeans and the like going to get the correct langauge pack for example, not by buying the U.S version thats for sure) Mif also has a valid point about cross region selling. The client is locked, the server you choose to play on is not.

Anet have said they are working on a solution for people who move around etc, for example it could be something as simple as , you login, your account gets locked, they have an on screen message saying please check your email for a unique code, key it in, hit enter.. access all areas. Much like Rift does with coin locking. Anet are not stupid and as you can see from the game thus far they are quite intuitive, to rage at them when they have clearly stated that a solution will be avail at some time in the future (most likely by release) that they will do something that wont put you at too much of a disadvantage.
    But some people *cough*...if they're not raging you might think they're dead, and they can't have that!
    That said...couldn't have said it better myself

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.