Paranoid about my voice

I have to sing at this get together on sunday, but I jsut swallowed my gum! >.< Will it make me sick? I already feel sick. :'( I hope this doesn't affect my voice...I'm really worried now.

you mean like chewing gum?.
    Call me ignorant, but as far as i know there will be absolutely no change in your voice because of swalloing gum.
    You are being paranoid i think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if troll...
    Sounds like you just need to have a drink and relax if you're worried about swallowing chewing gum affecting your voice. :P

Calling users trolls, or posting that you think they're trolls, is not okay. Post respectfully, and if you think a post is trolling, report and move on. - Dacien
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-04-07 at 04:42 AM.

Chewing gum doesn't have any effect on your throat if swallowed. Swallowing chewing gum is relatively harmless even though your body cannot digest it. The gum does not sit in your stomach, it just simply moves on pretty much in tact through your digestive system along with the rest of your digested food. The only time swallowing chewing gum can be harmful is if swallowed in large amounts. Swallowing chewing gum in large amounts is known to cause constipation and intestinal blockage...this is more common in children and is the real reason swallowing chewing gum should be discouraged.

Deleted
    You know that swallowed gum remains in system for 7 years.
    But seriously , I swallow gum every other time I have one and I am still alive.

It's orbit sugar free gum though, so does that mean it will take longer to digest? X________x

10+ Year Old Account
    Swallowing gum does nothing. I swallowed a stupid amount of gum as a kid because I couldn't be bothered putting it in a bin. Youll just poop it out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by geniebsmart View Post
    It's orbit sugar free gum though, so does that mean it will take longer to digest? X________x
    Oh gosh no, anything but Orbit Sugar Free; that particular brand is well known for increasing in size tenfold upon hitting the stomach, and causing temporary muteness!

You're not serious. You can't be.

Deleted
    first you ask if you will fall though the floor from dancing, then this? Swallowing the odd bit of gum is harmless, your gut will pass it in time.

When chewing gum comes in contact with your digestive acids, it causes a reaction known in the science world as "aggressive explosive effervescence", which will not only cause you to lose your voice, because the gum will dissolve your vocal cords, but will also cause a very painful month of projectile diarreah, vomiting and eventually, if you're unlucky, even spontaneous combustion.

If you've been good so far, you wont have any problems singing in the afterlife, angelic voice and all taken into consideration. Otherwise, I hope you like rectal pineapple intake.

I wonder where the myth came from that it stays in your body forever....

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Oh gosh no, anything but Orbit Sugar Free; that particular brand is well known for increasing in size tenfold upon hitting the stomach, and causing temporary muteness!
    I hear ya. I swallowed a stick of Orbit Sugar Free and I was unable to speak for nearly a month! It grew so large it started coming back up my esophagus and actually found a way past my epiglottis and gummed up(no pun intended) my vocal cords.

Can you guys please stop making fun of me... its not cute. i asked a serious quesion..

Quote Originally Posted by Deadraline View Post
    Chewing gum doesn't have any effect on your throat if swallowed. Swallowing chewing gum is relatively harmless even though your body cannot digest it. The gum does not sit in your stomach, it just simply moves on pretty much in tact through your digestive system along with the rest of your digested food. The only time swallowing chewing gum can be harmful is if swallowed in large amounts. Swallowing chewing gum in large amounts is known to cause constipation and intestinal blockage...this is more common in children and is the real reason swallowing chewing gum should be discouraged.
    that's really interesting.. thank you!

I still feel sick >.< and I have to sing tomorrow... I don't know how im going to do it. :'(

I think having swallowed gum may be the least of your worries.

Believe it or not chewing gum is not dangerous to swallow. Like the exotic corn, your stomach cannot break it down and just cycles it out as waste. You will be fine.