Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawtrocity View Post
    There's an absurd amount of drama that follows these two and they seem so ungrateful for it all. I haven't watched their videos since they started doing minecraft and I don't play minecraft, but every time I see a story about Yogscast it makes me think they are an addiction. Much like CBS and EA, they are a company who can get away with pretty much anything and people will still love their brand.

Sort of like when your crush in school had some attractive feature to her/him that you loved with all your heart. Everyone else saw that feature as ugly or annoying, but not you. You loved that part about them. They could make a sitcom about Rob Schneider or destroy your favorite video game company and you'd still watch Big Bang Theory and buy the next game. They have no reason to care if people keep buying/watching their stuff so they keep not caring until eventually another company steps in offering a solution to all the problems so in a few years they can do the same thing to you. Yogscast made some pretty neat videos and were wacky and zany a few years ago. They've lost that model and became a company driven by money(Which is fine), but they lost their identity.

I don't want them to not succeed at what they love to do that'd make me a bad person. I just wish they remembered what got them there and realized how lucky they were to be in the situation they were in. Two best friends playing a video game for a job is something 99% of the internet would kill for and they achieved it with flourishing success. For their sake I hope whoever swoops in next as the new innovative content creator treats them the way they should have treated others to begin with.
    You care to elaborate? How do they seem ungrateful?
    They put in massive amounts of time and energy into what they do, and like the rest of us they expect to be rewarded for their work. I don't know about you, but I don't go into work everyday to tell my boss "Thanks for letting me work here!" I go there everyday to do my job so I can get paid. You expect someone else to live by different standards because their job isn't conventional?

Honestly it seems to me that they are just sick of doing what they are doing. Their Minecraft videos aren't as entertaining as they once were, but if they stopped doing them altogether they would lose so many subscribers that they wouldn't be able to maintain the business they are trying to run, so it is a lose lose situation. This to me seems like a way for them to be able to get out of feeling forced to do something they are burnt out on. They can still make videos, but at a less demanding pace, and they won't lose as many subscribers as they would if they were to just quit doing Minecraft videos.
    While yes, it would be awesome to play games and get paid for it, it would also be very frustrating to have to play the exact same thing everyday for years just to be able to continue to make videos for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    You care to elaborate? How do they seem ungrateful?
    They put in massive amounts of time and energy into what they do, and like the rest of us they expect to be rewarded for their work. I don't know about you, but I don't go into work everyday to tell my boss "Thanks for letting me work here!" I go there everyday to do my job so I can get paid. You expect someone else to live by different standards because their job isn't conventional?

Honestly it seems to me that they are just sick of doing what they are doing. Their Minecraft videos aren't as entertaining as they once were, but if they stopped doing them altogether they would lose so many subscribers that they wouldn't be able to maintain the business they are trying to run, so it is a lose lose situation. This to me seems like a way for them to be able to get out of feeling forced to do something they are burnt out on. They can still make videos, but at a less demanding pace, and they won't lose as many subscribers as they would if they were to just quit doing Minecraft videos.
    While yes, it would be awesome to play games and get paid for it, it would also be very frustrating to have to play the exact same thing everyday for years just to be able to continue to make videos for a living.
    When you go into work you got there because you applied for the job and got hired. Yogscast didn't apply for the job they made videos which got fans. They do not have a conventional job so you cannot compare their situation to one. They are celebrities and they got there because of their fans, supporters, and assistants. They've constantly gone after Notch for reasons that I don't understand because again I don't watch their videos, but regardless. You don't see Justin Bieber bashing Usher and Charlie sheen got fired for bashing Chuck Lorre. Some people realize that their situation is unique and treat it like so. You're trying to make it seem like it's hard on them to continue to make videos, but they are still expanding with more admins on their sites, more channels on youtube, and now video games. They are in no way trying to slow down so they are only bringing it upon themselves if they truly are getting bored. They morphed from some internet gamers that were thrust into stardom into a company that doesn't seem to care about anything. The convention thing along with the new admin they hired are only two signs of their motives in the future. This isn't about internet celebrites being evil either because I dislike almost all gaming celebrities out there, but they all focus on what got them there. Crendor, Cox, TB, Day 9, and all the others like them have just focused on making videos that people enjoy.

That's what it should be about.

Remember, this is NOT a game made by the yogscast.

It is made by a new gaming company, and by buying the game, you are actually helping a new company develop.

Now, yes, the yogscast must get some of that money just because they are using their name, but the yogscast are not the game designers.

And personally, I think it was a good move from that new company, because right now, they would have a fan base from the beginning.

And yes, alpha is alpha, it was always going to look bad

The more I look at the concept art, the more I can't help but feel that there was an existing game idea here, but it didn't have a chance in hell of getting funded because it was from a new developer and a bit out there, so they made a deal with the Yogscast to slap their names/faces on it and hopefully get some backing.

Look at this for example:

That looks like a genuinely interesting game, and if I hadn't seen it on the Yogscast kickstarter page, I would never in a million years come to the conclusion that it's anything to do with them.

In this next one, Honeydew looks like he's been slapped on top of an existing piece of concept art and looks totally out of place (as well as much, much larger than hut behind him):

It's also a little worrying that there could be more than 800 backers that get to add blocks, mobs, weapons, places, etc to the game, or get to pick names for them. Can you imagine what sort of shit they'll have to put in the game because someone with a lot of money has been promised that they could do so? Backers with no experience in producing games should not have this much control over a games development. In some ways it's worse than publishers, because the backer's input would be more obvious. I can see the pop culture references and shameless self promotion already! "Dragonborn Arrows of +9001 Kneecapping", "Yogfan1337's Sword of Stabby Stabby", etc.

The one thing I am happy about so far is that they aren't getting anywhere near as much support as the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter which had about 10 times the amount of money at this point. Would've hated to see such a wonderful project get overshadowed by this.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2012-04-07 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post

It's also a little worrying that there could be more than 800 backers that get to add blocks, mobs, weapons, places, etc to the game, or get to pick names for them. Can you imagine what sort of shit they'll have to put in the game because someone with a lot of money has been promised that they could do so? Backers with no experience in producing games should not have this much control over a games development. In some ways it's worse than publishers, because the backer's input would be more obvious. I can see the pop culture references and shameless self promotion already! "Dragonborn Arrows of +9001 Kneecapping", "Yogfan1337's Sword of Stabby Stabby", etc.

The one thing I am happy about so far is that they aren't getting anywhere near as much support as the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter which had about 10 times the amount of money at this point. Would've hated to see such a wonderful project get overshadowed by this.
    oh quit your worrying

I see the bitterness from Minecon sink into them so they decided to make a knock off of the game.
    Good to know these little kids are so vain.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

Brian Fargo is making a Wasteland 2 funded by kickstarter.

It would be a gross injustice if Yogventures received funding over Wasteland 2.

Brian Fargo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    I see the bitterness from Minecon sink into them so they decided to make a knock off of the game.
    Good to know these little kids are so vain.
    You mean Notch treating them like they owe him, or the lies that he made up about them that cost them 1 million subscribers? Yeah, I would be pretty fucking pissed too.

Deleted
    I've also enjoyed watching the YogsCast, and listening to the YoGPod.

I used to actually play with Simon & Lewis when they where back on The Venture Co, RPPvP, EU in Ye Olde Goone Squade. They're good people, and they seem to be doing well for themselves. My concern is that they're over inflating what they're capable of doing.

I don't personally think another Minecraft clone is going to be any good, and the £250,000 needed is a heft price tag. I wish them all the best of course, and I would probably buy it, but I want to see a bit more work before I bother with this.

You mean Notch treating them like they owe him, or the lies that he made up about them that cost them 1 million subscribers? Yeah, I would be pretty fucking pissed too.
    While I agree that whole situation was down to Notch throwing a little tantrum because he was being overshadowed at his own convention, losing 1 million subscribers? Pulling numbers out of your arse much? At the time, that would have been abut 95% of their subscribers (they only reached a million the month before Minecon). They lost a few thousand at most.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawtrocity View Post
    When you go into work you got there because you applied for the job and got hired. Yogscast didn't apply for the job they made videos which got fans. They do not have a conventional job so you cannot compare their situation to one. They are celebrities and they got there because of their fans, supporters, and assistants. They've constantly gone after Notch for reasons that I don't understand because again I don't watch their videos, but regardless. You don't see Justin Bieber bashing Usher and Charlie sheen got fired for bashing Chuck Lorre. Some people realize that their situation is unique and treat it like so. You're trying to make it seem like it's hard on them to continue to make videos, but they are still expanding with more admins on their sites, more channels on youtube, and now video games. They are in no way trying to slow down so they are only bringing it upon themselves if they truly are getting bored. They morphed from some internet gamers that were thrust into stardom into a company that doesn't seem to care about anything. The convention thing along with the new admin they hired are only two signs of their motives in the future. This isn't about internet celebrites being evil either because I dislike almost all gaming celebrities out there, but they all focus on what got them there. Crendor, Cox, TB, Day 9, and all the others like them have just focused on making videos that people enjoy.

That's what it should be about.
    They did apply for the job that they have, they put out videos that like 99% of the videos out there people could have just overlooked and not given a shit about, but people liked them, so they got the job.
    You are trying to compare Yogscast with Justin Beiber, or Charlie Sheen? Do you go to a movie because the Actors in it are so thankful to their fans? I go to movies to be entertained, and if I don't like the actors I simply don't watch the movies. I don't feel the need to justify my decision, nor do I feel the need to try to affect other people's perception of them.
    They have constantly gone after Notch due to him dicking them over and lying about them on his Twitter account after Minecon while they were on a plane for 24hrs and had no way to retort. They got off the plane only to have hundreds of Minecraft fans waiting outside the airport threatening them, and harassing them over something they hadn't even heard about at that point. The stunt that Notch pulled cost them 1 million subscribers, which is a massive amount of revenue, so not only did Notch drag their name through the mud, they also suffered a huge financial hit.
    Again, like I said, they are trying to build up a company so that they don't have to put in as much work to continue to be successful.
    The new Admin they hired? You mean the one they had to hire after 2 of their old Admins fucked them over? 1 embezzled $18,000 from them, and 1 was harassing community members, that when told to stop or he would be removed threatened to make all of their personal info public if they did remove him.
    Since you have decided that your opinion is the only one that matters regardless of it's legitimacy, there is nothing I can do that would make you think otherwise. Must be nice to form an opinion on a subject that you admittedly have no clue about.

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 05:38 PM ----------

While I agree that whole situation was down to Notch throwing a little tantrum because he was being overshadowed at his own convention, losing 1 million subscribers? Pulling numbers out of your arse much? At the time, that would have been abut 95% of their subscribers (they only reached a million the month before Minecon). They lost a few thousand at most.
    Actually they were at 2.3 Million before Minecon, within a week after Minecon they had dropped to 1.3 Million, and are now at 1.6 Million.
    Last edited by Zenotetsuken; 2012-04-07 at 05:40 PM.

A lot of people here are making a big deal over 250k. It's really not unrealistic at all, I would expect them to rack at least 500k for this. If you follow Kickstarter (which I do), you can see projects that go up so high and so fast. Especially if the project already has a fanbase, which Yogventures does (a youtube fanbase, but a fanbase nonetheless).

For example, a few months ago this project went on Kickstarter. It's an online comic that's been updated weekly for the last several years. The guy asked for $57k to print all of his comics as books. He got $1.2million.

Kickstarter is pretty crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually they were at 2.3 Million before Minecon, within a week after Minecon they had dropped to 1.3 Million, and are now at 1.6 Million.
    yeah no the yogscast have never been over 2 million subs

posted on Oct 8, 2011 minecon was held on November 18, 2011. no way did they get another million subs that quick.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...es/yogventures

Hmmmmm... I'm a fan of the Yogscast, but this just looks terrible.
    Uh... It's a pre-alpha build..

Nope!

8th of October 2011 (one month before Minecon) - 1 Million Subscriber Celebration

Unless they gained 1.3 million subscribers in a month and didn't bother to make a video about it, or their 2 Million Milestone, you're very, very wrong.

edit: Beaten to it! Was looking for a nice graph to prove it, but there's only ones for the last 90 days.

15+ Year Old Account
    You do realize they were getting around 300k subs a week around that time right? Because they were. They had something like 1.6 Million subs by the time that Video was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Uh... It's a pre-alpha build..
    Right, and it looks terrible. What part of my statement was untrue?

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not passing judgement on it purely based on this video (in fact, I didn't even see it until after I'd read the whole Kickstarter page and thought it sounded terrible). It's a bad idea, created by a company with no experience, copying the basics of a game that already exists and is highly popular, they're allowing backers to have a direct and visible influence on the finished game, and the whole Yogscast part of it appears to have been crowbarred in at the last minute in order to get funding. Terrible.

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 07:16 PM ----------

You do realize they were getting around 300k subs a week around that time right? Because they were. They had something like 1.6 Million subs by the time that Video was posted.
    No, they really didn't. I've been a subscriber for a long time and they have never been near 2 Million. We've provided evidence, you have not. Come back with some to back up your claims and maybe people will listen. Otherwise, don't bother.

300k subs a week is pretty unrealistic, just as unrealistic as them losing 1 mil subs in such a short time frame. I'm not calling you a liar, but I think your facts are wrong.

It looks pretty awesome, especially if you read what the actual full game will be. It kind of reminds me of Spore Galactic Adventures, and hopefully it will be better and not crush my hopes and dreams like spore did.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh come on, even if what you were saying was true, that they could some how get 1 million in just a month, why has it taken them almost 5 months to gain only 600k?!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.