Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can you force genuine laughter?

Very odd questions I know but I find that there is nothing better than laughing and i'll occasionally shift in and out of phases where I find almost everything hilarious and it really makes me feel happy and I tend to get a long much better with people.

However when I move out of this phase I tend to become slightly depressed and people notice, which is what led me to this question.

Is anyway to force genuine laughter or get a case of giggle fits? Also what can't you help but laugh at?

I don't know, but it's a huge group mood killer when it's obvious you're trying to laugh.

I wish I could laugh more. Not laughing at most things makes it really hard to get along with people.

Deleted
    No I can't. I'm not fun unless drunk generally. So get drunk, helps dealing with morons easier.

And that's not to call you or your company morons, just that on nights out everyone is and I like to catch up quickly.

Deleted
    You cannot force genuine laughter. If its forced, it is per definition not genuine. Its simple semantics.

a more prudent question would be, can you fake genuine laughter ?

and yes, yes i can

more to your point, how to induce laughter. i find smoking a joint and watching How high, always gets me laughing
    Last edited by mmoc3e885d321a; 2012-04-08 at 12:10 AM.

Isn't there Nitrous Oxide, which can cause laughter in some individuals? You force someone to take that and if he laughs, it's forced genuine laughter

try smiling more, don't have to actually laugh. you can force laughter of course. i'm used to it, i can also dead stop mid-laugh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bestpike View Post
    Isn't there Nitrous Oxide, which can cause laughter in some individuals? You force someone to take that and if he laughs, it's forced genuine laughter
    Oh snap.

i am keeping my eye on you.

I can't even laugh.

No joke. - Go go depression.

10+ Year Old Account
    can you force genuine anything?

Quote Originally Posted by lolvik View Post
    I can't even laugh.

I lold, didnt have to even force it.

Quote Originally Posted by bestpike View Post
    Isn't there Nitrous Oxide, which can cause laughter in some individuals? You force someone to take that and if he laughs, it's forced genuine
    laughter
    Haha that made me laugh thanks

Actually didn't know Nitrous Oxide could make people laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by lolvik View Post
    I can't even laugh.

Aw man, don't think I could go through life without laughter. Hope you can find something in life that can make you happy and laugh

edit: here is something that might cheer you up

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    can you force genuine anything?
    No it's just me being stupid, should have worded it better like "can you induce laughter" like enohpi said.
    Last edited by nixcookies; 2012-04-08 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Is anyway to force genuine laughter or get a case of giggle fits? Also what can't you help but laugh at?
    Laughing is contagious for me... Hearing other people laugh makes me laugh... watching videos of myself laughing send me into giggle fits as well...

I was in skype with the boyfriend while he was doing the ironman challenge on stream, he died, I couldn't stop laughing [I'm a terrible person] - I made it into a highlight & I still laugh so hard my sides hurt every time I re-watch it... anyone I link it to says they laugh when I start laughing in it...

Yes, of course.

Its easy. Start with a fake laugh. Sooner or later it will turn into real laugh when you start feeling amused by doing so. This at least the way I do it.

At least this time it was easy and worked when I tried after reading this tread and tried it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends on what makes it genuine. Whether or not you believe it is? Whether or not it appears identical to genuine laughter?
    Those things can be forced. Almost anything can. But what's the purpose of doing it genuinely? Is fooling yourself so important?

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    That depends on what makes it genuine. Whether or not you believe it is? Whether or not it appears identical to genuine laughter?
    Those things can be forced. Almost anything can. But what's the purpose of doing it genuinely? Is fooling yourself so important?
    For me, if I'm not laughing genuinely then I won't get the same high I get when I do. It's not that tricking myself is important, it would be nice to induce laughter to help recreate that high.

Well if it is forced then by definition it is not genuine, so no.

Maybe you could trigger a certain mechanism in your mind that would actually make you go from fake to genuine, but it would be extremely difficult to accomplish and mostly by blind luck.

Well, I don't think you can force that 'high' you're looking for. Although in saying that, there have been times I've been out with someone and we just sudddenly burst into laughter, without anything being said or anything funny happening, but that's really only with really close (and exclusively female) friends.

If you just want to trick other people then yeah, it's pretty easy to fake genuine laughter, but it depends how comfortable you are at pretending. If you're struggling, easy alternatives are smiling more, half 'snorting' out air (I can't think of a better description, like a sharp outburst of air that normally precedes a laugh or that happens when something's mildly entertaining but not full on hysterical) could be seen as laughing with your mouth closed, saying things like 'That's hillarious' or words to those effect (Although you should sound genuinely interested/happy or it'll just sound sarcastic)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    it would be nice to induce laughter to help recreate that high.
    A lot of people can do this. Forcing yourself to smile a lot releases endorphins as well. In the end, form is function. It just takes some people more attempts than others.

It's all in the mind; yes.