Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Very tricky book to adapt considering very large parts of it are inner dialogue of the main character. Think they did a decent job adapting it, and I'm very curious about the next two books' adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Guess that's what you get extra when you hear the thought-process of the main character.
    Yeah. I would encourage people to read the books actually. They are all fairly short, really simple and clear up a lot of stuff. I wouldn't recommend them for being great pieces of literature but the themes and general concept is quite cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    i thought the movie was good. (havent read the book.)
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    I am just hoping they do better with the third movie than the third book which IMO was terrible after what it came from. The second movie's trailers look good though so I am excited to see this next part of the story on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    If Peeta's main goal was to protect Katniss then he did a shitty job of it from a movie prospective. They needed a moment to let the viewer know he was on her side the whole time. The impression I got from watching it was he turned on her because she told him she had no feelings and after the bee incident she realized she did have feelings for him. It could have been handled better.
    They actually do this and you likely just missed it. When Katniss is suffering from the tracker jacker (genetically enhanced bees) you see Peeta run up to her and tell her to run, he's holding a sword and is bleeding. It is more clear in the books but basically he attacks the main tribute leading the career tribute group (district 1 dude I believe?) and gets cut while trying to protect her. Later on, she can't tell if it was a hallucination or not but this is basically when she stumbles across Peeta who is close to death. Again the whole thing is easier to understand in the books but I think they do a good job of explaining it in the movies as well. He's protecting her the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Teaming up with them is fine but short sighted as I think if it came down to him and the group he would have been the first one gone with zero chance of winning. If you team up with Katniss and make it to the end your final 2 with a 50-50 chance at winning. Luckily, their respective plans worked and they made it to the final 2 and now they get to do it all again in November. Yay!
    It's not, Peeta had been planning all along to sacrifice himself so that Katniss could win. If you recall earlier in the movie (I know it's in the books but maybe not the movie) Peeta states that when his family came to see him his mother told him district 12 might have a winner this year but she was referring to Katniss and not Peeta. Everyone believes she can win after she scores the highest score in the training and they believe Peeta is useless. However, as another poster below stated, Katniss knows that she couldn't live with herself if she killed Peeta and is torn between her feelings for him and knowing they may have to fight eventually which is why she wants nothing to do with him. She doesn't want him to love her because they are in a battle to the death. Only after the rule change that two people from a district can win does she yell out and try to find him. Additionally she is clearly angry when she sees him with the career tributes but is glad in a sense as well because she can fight him more easily because she hates him after she sees him leading them to find her or so she believes.

You are making the mistake though of believing both of them want to win while in truth each one wants the other one to win.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    I am just hoping they do better with the third movie than the third book which IMO was terrible after what it came from. The second movie's trailers look good though so I am excited to see this next part of the story on the big screen.
    Can't believe I hadn't seen the trailer before you mentioned it. should be in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Can't believe I hadn't seen the trailer before you mentioned it. should be in this thread.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=102930

10+ Year Old Account
    That trailer has just reminded me how much I want to read the books!

I've never read the books and found the movie fairly enjoyable. The premise made the plot more than a little predictable, though. Since you knew she wasn't going to die, it was just a matter of waiting to see how the more sympathetic characters would bite it without turning her into a murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I've never read the books and found the movie fairly enjoyable. The premise made the plot more than a little predictable, though. Since you knew she wasn't going to die, it was just a matter of waiting to see how the more sympathetic characters would bite it without turning her into a murderer.
    It's a very valid and interesting point. A thing like the Hunger Games would be more effective if several of the characters were viewpoint characters, so you wouldn't know which one of them would become the victor in the end. It would also create split sympathy.

Deleted
    I was about to make a new topic, but I found this.
    I liked the 1st one (let's say 7/10), but the second one is awesome, I think it's one of the best movies ever made! I'm definietely going to watch it again this weekend.
    Also I suggest You all go and watch it , because the best experience is in cinemas (I doubt You have such huge screens at home :P), so enjoy it until You can! 
    But don't forget this movie is not "happy end", as this movie is a dystopia, You can feel that sadness during the whole movie. The acting of Jennifer Lawrence is unbelievable... I don't want to spoil if You haven't seen it yet.
    But if you did, what are your opinions about Catching Fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixy View Post
    But if you did, what are your opinions about Catching Fire?
    I thought it was pretty good. Better than the first one. You can see my criticism for that movie just a few posts up, and fortunately this one offered more room for uncertainty in the plot.

Mild spoiler: You don't know how much I really wanted that horn to go off and for all of the tributes to say "fuck you" and not fight eachother. I know it's probably expecting too much from a story like this, but a guy can dream, right?

My excitement to see how they're going to end the story was deflated when I learned that they're doing the "break the last book into 2 movies" bullshit. God, that's so annoying... I think Harry Potter, the Hobbit, and even Twilight (shudder) would have been much better if they hadn't tried to squeeze more money out of us by doing this. Fingers crossed that Mockingjay can hold it together.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will milk it for Mocking-jay because it was such a bad book at the end, it was quite honestly one of the worst endings for any book i have ever read
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Mild spoiler: You don't know how much I really wanted that horn to go off and for all of the tributes to say "fuck you" and not fight eachother.
    They wouldn't do that because if they did, they'd all be killed instead of all but one.

I can't help but feel like Mockingjay's "story" is more movie-adaptable than Hunger Games and Catching Fire (haven't seen it yet). Mockingjay hurt me deeply, though. They were such good books (especially for the YA genre), but it started to devolve into the typical YA garbage with some extra angst and fairly pointless tragedy.

Also, Catching Fire has an 89 on Rottentomatoes right now, which is mindbogglingly high for this kind of movie. For reference, the first had an 84 and Silver Linings Playbook (which Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress for) has a 92. So, critically, it's closer to Silver Linings Playbook than the first movie at this point.
    Last edited by Drikkink; 2013-11-29 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    They will milk it for Mocking-jay because it was such a bad book at the end, it was quite honestly one of the worst endings for any book i have ever read
    That whole book was written by a sixth grader with ADD, I think. It's really, really bad, IMO, and it only got worse as the page number got higher. I enjoyed the first two books well enough but that thing was just rushed from start to finish, to me the author didn't give any more fucks at that point and had a vague idea of how she wanted it to all end and wrote out the entire book in one afternoon. And yes, the ending was just extra bad. I honestly can't believe the lack of care that went into it. My only emotion was that I was so glad I was done reading that piece of shit that pretty much ruined a good little series.

Oh well, maybe they can make it better on the big screen and put more care into the fairly well-developed characters the author created in the first two books because there wasn't any in the third.

Deleted
    I liked the first movie Maybe because I had no expectations at all, I was ready for another crappy twillight thing. I will probably even see the second one on cinema.

The book was poor. The movie was worse.

While the concept is cool, it's executed horribly imo.

I just saw it and it was... good. Jennifer Lawrence is a great actress, but I still don't quite see her as Katniss. They really pushed the Katniss/Peeta romance to the max.

I was absolutely blown away by Elizabeth Banks as Effie, though. Her (limited) performance was absolutely incredible. She portrayed the conflict that Effie went through in the books perfectly without even explicitly stating her conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    The book was poor. The movie was worse.

While the concept is cool, it's executed horribly imo.
    While you're welcome to your opinion the majority of people disagree with you.

"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire smashed the November opening record, grossing $161.1 million domestically. The Twilight Saga: New Moon previously held the record with $142 million in 2009.

This huge debut also makes the action-adventure thriller, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth to name a few, the fourth highest-grossing opening weekend of all time. Marvel's The Avengers holds the all-time record with $207.4 million, followed by Iron Man: 3 with $174.1 million and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 with $169.1 million."

Source: http://www.eonline.com/news/484425/b...pening-weekend

Signature Created by Jassinta

My excitement to see how they're going to end the story was deflated when I learned that they're doing the "break the last book into 2 movies" bullshit. God, that's so annoying... I think Harry Potter, the Hobbit, and even Twilight (shudder) would have been much better if they hadn't tried to squeeze more money out of us by doing this. Fingers crossed that Mockingjay can hold it together.

I'm OK with Harry potter being broken into parts. (imo)If it wasnt it would have been like The Order of the Phoenix, which felt like a 2 hour climax, and the amount of stuff that would have been skipped...no...

Hobbit, I can go with 2, but 3 is going a bit far.

Pretty much if its good story telling like Harry potter or the Hobbit, I'm cool with it; fuck twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    That whole book was written by a sixth grader with ADD, I think. It's really, really bad, IMO, and it only got worse as the page number got higher. I enjoyed the first two books well enough but that thing was just rushed from start to finish, to me the author didn't give any more fucks at that point and had a vague idea of how she wanted it to all end and wrote out the entire book in one afternoon. And yes, the ending was just extra bad. I honestly can't believe the lack of care that went into it. My only emotion was that I was so glad I was done reading that piece of shit that pretty much ruined a good little series.
    I had to re-read the part where they killed off the trident guy about 5 times becuase I wasnt really sure if they actually did.

I felt I could have written a better ending to that book...
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-12-01 at 08:05 AM.