Thread: Soda Tax

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Soda Tax

I'm hearing a lot of talk about proposed taxes to soda and sugary drinks in a lot of states. Most of it has been in New york as far as I'm aware, but it has recently picked up movement elsewhere.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6275ZU20100308 This article kinda gives a synopsis of it.

Alright, this is a joke right? It has to be. A good amount of our taxes go to corn farmers so they can produce more corn than the market dictates, artificially lowering the prices so we can have a cheap sweetener/shelf life extender. So, we pay taxes to keep HFCS low, and now they want to tax HFCS to raise the price so people think twice about buying something we get taxed on to keep it at a low price. MY BRAIN, IT HURTS.

People are saying this is a money grab, which it probably is, if I want my damn coke I will have my damn coke, and I assume a lot of other people will do the same, but...this is the most f*ed up logic I have ever witnessed. I mean C'MON

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    I drink V8 Splash, it has sugar. They gonna claim it makes people obese too, and tax it? Tea as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love soda pop. I think it's one of the greatest creations in modern times. But I love Soda without high-fructose corn syrup even more. It's probably healthier to drink gasoline.

Boston Tea Party. I wonder what that would be like in present day...

15+ Year Old Account
    HFCS is poisonous. /thread

Deleted
    I can't see any logic in that :s

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    HFCS is poisonous. /thread
    Explain.

/logic

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Explain.

/logic
    http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a.../S26/91/22K07/

There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    I can't see any logic in that :s
    They could remove the subsidies on corn, but that would increase the price of all corn products. Maybe they don't want to do that, so they instead tax a specific product. There are probably other ways to do it, too.

But yeah... probably just a money grab.

Tax Soda? Well, then i'd have to tax my foot in every politicians ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    If you actually look at what they did in that study, it makes perfect sense that the rats gained more weight with HFCS. Diet without HFCS or an artifical no-calorie sweetener vs. a diet with HFCS, which has calories. Basically, the study shows that eating more calories increases your weight gain.

Also, increased weight gain from eating something doesn't equate to poisonous.

Basically, if it wasn't HFCS it would be sucrose. The problem isn't HFCS itself, it's putting it in fucking everything so that people end up consuming way more calories than they should. Self control is a large part of this issue.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-04-09 at 02:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Explain.

/logic
    You on the internet or what? This isn't news. It's like when people bitched about booze and cigs taxes. DUH.

You're allowed to do all the poisonous shit you want to yourself until all your friends and family partake, too, and half of them can't pay to fix the open sores or decaying limbs falling off their bodies. Tax payers pay that. No dice, mein freund. If you wanna be free to drink all the diabetes-inducing liquids, etc then be my guest -just do it where I don't have to pay for your bloated carcass when your circulatory system fails.

putting all the blame on soda is stupid but if you need to test if the drinks do do something bad to people a tax on them is the best place to get it. not the catch is if the test show that it is not the drinks will it stop i don't think so. not to mention with the right level of cash you can get people to think any thing you want.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    You on the internet or what? This isn't news. It's like when people bitched about booze and cigs taxes. DUH.

You're allowed to do all the poisonous shit you want to yourself until all your friends and family partake, too, and half of them can't pay to fix the open sores or decaying limbs falling off their bodies. Tax payers pay that. No dice, mein freund. If you wanna be free to drink all the diabetes-inducing liquids, etc then be my guest -just do it where I don't have to pay for your bloated carcass when your circulatory system fails.
    You claimed something was poisonous. I asked you to explain how.

How is saying "You're allowed to drink crap but don't make me pay for it" equal an explanation as to how it is poisonous?
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-04-09 at 02:15 AM.

There you go.
    Of course the stuff is going to make you gain weight, it's not going to poison you though.
    "Every day I wake up, log in and look at the nine other class icons in the character creation screen. Then I burst into laughter, create a portal into a distant realm, do a motherfucking double backflip through that portal while slinging pastries and blasts of PURE COSMIC ENERGY everywhere, respeccing into frost midair and deep freezing two gnomes before landing on my feet. In my wake only disintegrated corpses, strudel crumbs and adorable turtles are found."
    By a forum member "Membrane"

15+ Year Old Account
    gaining weight is poisoning?
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

If you actually look at what they did in that study, it makes perfect sense that the rats gained more weight with HFCS. Diet without HFCS or an artifical no-calorie sweetener vs. a diet with HFCS, which has calories. Basically, the study shows that eating more calories increases your weight gain.
    They used sugar (which has calories) vs HFCS.

---------- Post added 2012-04-08 at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    gaining weight is poisoning?
    To quote:

In the context of biology, poisons are substances that cause disturbances to organisms,[1] usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when a sufficient quantity is absorbed by an organism.
    Therefore "poison" in this case is in the eye of the beholder.

umm any tax beyond sales tax and ill punch the government in the dick. with brass knuckles. made out of broken bottles. instead of charging more for sugary drinks just teach you stupid shitty kids to have self control so they arent fatty tubbos. idk parenting or the lack there of seems to be the issue. not delicious delicious soda

10+ Year Old Account
    To quote:

It seems like such a cop out of a definition, just to call something "poisonous" though. I mean, I'm not against making things healthier, but don't effectively lie about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    They used sugar (which has calories) vs HFCS.

---------- Post added 2012-04-08 at 09:19 PM ----------

To quote:

When my mother eats carbs, she gains weight substantially more readily than when she does not. Is bread a poison?
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.