Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Druid Bear - Solo Tank 10 man Madness HC Question.

Hey,

So my guild downed Madness awhile back, using a DK tank and Shadow Priest for the impales.

I just wanted to know if it is possible to solo tank it as a bear. I know the reasons why it is possible with a DK etc

I have thought about it, and I don'te see how it would be possible. Mostly because of the bloods during the platform, can't see how a druid would be able to pick the bloods while still tanking the Tentacle. And the stacks from the Terrors in phase 2 would also be quite troublesome. We don't have another feral in the raid group, and I am gemmed for for stam/mastery. (I joined the guild recently, and I was main tank in my old guild, thus the stam build. Regemming and enchanting is expensive etc.)

So I just wanted to know, is it possible to somehow solo tank as a druid?

Thanks.

if ur dps can kill the tendons before each 2nd impale and u can tank the bloods and tentacle at the same time sure but i highly doubt it.. i also highly doubt even the best bear tank can survive a 2nd impale each platform.

Deleted
    If you have a disc priest he can use pain supression just before the second impale hits. If you have the dps it's best to just kill it tho.

I should've been more clear perhaps, sorry, my fault.

One of the impales on each platform will be taken by the shadow priest using dispersion. So I will only take one impale per platform.

The problem, how do I pick up the bloods that spawn after the bolt while tanking the tentacle? DKs use Death and Decay etc.

Can't think of any way to do it.
    Last edited by snorecb; 2012-04-10 at 07:37 AM.

It's possible, hope you have a hunter though to misdir the bloods onto you.

My group is using MT+ Hybrid Feral OT setup instead of juggling impales with a shadowpriest. Works a lot safer, and our feral is still 2nd-3rd in dps on the fight. Bear when he has to soak an impale or tank bloods, Cat when he is on the tentacles. Helps with a taunt on the 2nd add during p2 to get rid of high tetanus stacks on the MT.

Just to show off our feral: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/sw1vz...?s=8450&e=9321
    Last edited by Wekapedia; 2012-04-10 at 07:41 AM.

do you have a hunter? or a rogue?

Yeah, we used to use a Feral hybrid in my old guild. The new guild doesn't have another feral druid, except me.

The guild does have a hunter and rogue yeah.

I know this isn't the best option for a guild, the guild does usually do it with the DK tank, but I just wanted to find out if it is possible for a druid.

Also perhaps what I was thinking, no one attacks the bloods when the spawn, the DK can throw Death and Decay, when the adds come to him, I can simply taunt it off etc.

If I can't get it right, I will probably end up regemming and reforging to agi and mastery, but yeah, just wanted to find out first.

Thanks for the replies thus far.
    Last edited by snorecb; 2012-04-10 at 07:46 AM.

Deleted
    Tricks or MD would work, rogues are more or less a must have in any DS group anyway so I can't imagine you not having one.

Also a healer drawing aggro on top of you will work, a Pally with Righteous Fury perhaps. They can be tanked by a healer for 1-2 seconds easily.

For Terrors in phase 2 it'll be iffy but I'm sure its doable with good DPS.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have rogue/hunter tricks/md will do the trick, if not tell your melee to back up a bit so they don't get meleed from corruption and just swipe (idk the AoE tanking ability that bear has) them.

Deleted
    If you have a DPS dk in your grp it's quite easy. He picks up the bloods, you cleave them off him. Also for terrors he taunts them off you when you get 3-4 stacks, pops ams and you can taunt back when ams fades, but they usually die before that.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    my main is a druid bear and he picks the bloods up with no problem with just using swipe and thrash, not sure how you could not get the aggro if your using those the moment the bloods spawn and head to the group who should be stacked

I haven't attempted to solo tank the fight btw, I have only done it with a hybrid feral who used to pick up the bloods.

@Alphapac: If the bloods spawn, on the far side of the platform, how do you usually pick them up? I can get agro if I can get to the bloods, my concern is when the bloods spawn far away. If you move away from the tentacle, it will start attacking other players etc. And how do you handle the terrors in phase 2?

Thanks for the advice guys, guess it is doable, just troublesome. :|

I did this last week as a bear mostly geared and specced hybrid in a solo tank. We had a hunter take the second impale on the first 3 platforms and then a rogue take the second impale on the last, using his cloak and vanish to drop the bolt damage and impale, respectively. The best way to do the blood is to have a player with some kind of threat redirection send them to you, although the "plate DPS picks them up, brings them to you, you grab aggro" will also do.

I found that during the terrors in phase two, standing in the bubble, hitting dream after about 3 or 4 stacks, then rotating cooldowns until they begin to die worked fine. Make sure you skull one of the two to burn down, as stacks will pile up a lot less quickly with one dead.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well with my raid group the tentacle has never lived long enough to still be active when the bloods spawn, usually its dead before or right after the bolt drops. As for the terros, dps targets one, downs it then they get on the second and you hit your cds to live through its damage but again our dps kills everything esp with the 15% debuff faster then they can do any real damage and we just burn dw and ignore any adds after the first wave kinda like how people do it in raidfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Alphapac View Post
    we just burn dw and ignore any adds after the first wave kinda like how people do it in raidfinder
    Do you have any logs? Would be interesting to take a look, cause I haven't seen even top ranked guilds burning DW from 10% to 2% while ignoring both sets of congealing bloods.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphapac View Post
    Well with my raid group the tentacle has never lived long enough to still be active when the bloods spawn, usually its dead before or right after the bolt drops. As for the terros, dps targets one, downs it then they get on the second and you hit your cds to live through its damage but again our dps kills everything esp with the 15% debuff faster then they can do any real damage and we just burn dw and ignore any adds after the first wave kinda like how people do it in raidfinder
    Are you talking about heroic? If you can kill the Corruption on heroic before the bolt hits then your DPS is way higher than the OP's. I can only imagine that kind of DPS coming from top-end guilds and even then they'd have to be specifically stacking for a speed kill.

Most first kills have the Corruption at ~40% when bolt lands.

Deleted
    Our bear solo tanks it every week.
    We have a rogue ToTing the bloods to him, and the rogue is also taking impales. Additionally we have a warrior DPS with glyphed shield wall taking 1 impale on the odd one where the rogues vanish is on CD.
    Our impales are as following:
    1.1 Rogue
    1.2 Bear
    2.1 Bear
    2.2 Rogue
    3.1 Bear
    3.2 Warrior
    4.1 Bear
    4.2 Rogue

In P2 we have a priest lifegripping in between stacks, and our bear runs like the wind! This does most of the times drop the stacks to an easily healable amount.

Deleted
    If you still have the spriest of course you can. and stacks from terrors aren't that bad, just pop dream when it gets bad and use personal cds the rest of the time, they die so fast it's unreal.

we had 2 wipes in p2 when we progressed it, first was to no slows, second was to me, a paladin dying to terrors because healers hadn't realised they had to heal me after they died. it's really not an issue

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggamasta View Post
    Do you have any logs? Would be interesting to take a look, cause I haven't seen even top ranked guilds burning DW from 10% to 2% while ignoring both sets of congealing bloods.
    Cant see how you could burn 10-0 (yes, he doesnt always die at 2%..) but killing 10% bloods and only slow 5% ones work fine, thats how we do it atleast :P

I solo tank it. We have mages taking the 2nd impales on platform 1, 2 and 4, and taking both on platform 3. For the terrors, we have a DK taunt one for a few seconds. It isn't too bad with rotating shield wall and dream.
    Last edited by Thelm; 2012-04-11 at 01:11 PM.