Poll: Preferred Breathing?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I like to breathe through the nose whenever possible, but due to lung crap and a nasal polyp, I have to mouth-breathe 90% of the time. Luckily, I've learned to do it stealthily so as to avoid the stigma.

Deleted
    Breathing through the nose, both in and out is the most common way to go about it. Why? Because the nose protects us from all kinds of viruses and diseases.

Breathing through your mouth gets you more oxygen, but at the cost of less protection. So it's common to breathe with your mouth when working out and you need that extra oxygen, but other than that most people breathe through their nose.

And I guess inhaling through your nose and exhaling with your mouth is some way of calming down from hyperventilation. Which makes sense because you get rid of excessive oxygen and it balances out.

Each person likely uses all of the methods sometime in their life. But breathing through the nose is the most common in general use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inhale and exhale with the nose.

Inhale: Cocaine
    Exhale: Not cocaine.
    I liek fysix

Cobonation LOL....

Inhale and Exhale out the nose, unless I am working out using weights then it's inhale with the nose exhale with the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    Diaphragm goes down, lungs expand, and ribs "move out" to make space.

Like you said though, it really depends on the position you're in, if you're sat in a chair/leaning over for example, it would give the appearance of your abdomen expanding, however its still your chest.
    No - you can breath using the chest or you can breath using the abdomen or you can combine the two. Abdominal breathing appears to be the more "natural" method as it is used instinctively by babies, whereas chest-breathing probably develops because of the poor posture people develop due to life-style (sitting on chairs is bad for us).

where is "inhale with nose, exhale with mouth" on here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

My nose is all screwed up, and bad seasonal allergies, so most of the time I breath through my mouth. I use my nose when I can though.

You are now manually breathing.

Both with nose, generally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your nose provides a built in air filter (hairs) and also adds humidity to the air when you breath in through you nose so it's the bettr of the 2 options to inhale with the nose.

This is my break down:

Resting not doing much : In and out through nose
    Jogging / walking light phys exertion : In nose out mouth
    running / heavier physical strain: combination in in nose / mouth as needed out mouth.
    Intense physical strain : in mouth out mouth (want to get the max oxygen in and out!)
    Around something that smells... in mouth out mouth :P

The only time I ever breathe through my mouth is when my allergies are so bad and I'm just trying to get to sleep, and I don't feel like getting up to blow my nose or take allergy medication. That is pretty much the only time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    No - you can breath using the chest or you can breath using the abdomen or you can combine the two. Abdominal breathing appears to be the more "natural" method as it is used instinctively by babies, whereas chest-breathing probably develops because of the poor posture people develop due to life-style (sitting on chairs is bad for us).
    The diaphragm always moves, your ribs always move.

This is not a matter for opinion, it is year bloody one biology.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    The diaphragm always moves, your ribs always move.

This is not a matter for opinion, it is year bloody one biology.
    Diaphragmatic breathing involves expansion of the abdomen rather than the chest when breathing. Shallow breathing involves drawing air into the chest area using the intercostal muscles rather than throughout the lungs via the diaphragm. Do they cover those in year one biology too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Diaphragmatic breathing involves expansion of the abdomen rather than the chest when breathing. Shallow breathing involves drawing air into the chest area using the intercostal muscles rather than throughout the lungs via the diaphragm. Do they cover those in year one biology too?
    So first, the ribs do move.

And whilst you are entirely correct, people who primarily breath via intercostal muscles instead of diaphragmatic breathing frequently are suffering from an underlying condition. I don't think this qualifies for normal breathing.