Deleted

Inscription, Alchemy or something else?

Hi there guys,

in preperation for MoP i think i have to get the Char i plan to play on some professions, but I dont know what i should level in terms of earning some gold. I dont care about min/maxing since i only raid on occasion, it's purely about not being broke with as little effort as possible

Some facts:

All in all i think i have about 20k Gold combined from all of my 85s (5).
    I have one Char with Herb/Alchemy (525), one with Mining (525) and one with Skinning (480ish).

I'm kinda tending to leveling Herbalism / Alchemy (AGAIN), but Herbalism/Inscription also sounds interesting, since a friend of mine got Inscription at 525 and i swear to you guys that every time he is at my place he opens his mailbox and loots at least 15k gold.

Maybe you guys can give me some Advice / Feedback - those thoughts of mine are not set in stone.
    Last edited by mmocf36c07ec46; 2012-04-11 at 11:05 AM.

JC/Enchanting! JC/Enchanting! JC/Enchanting! JC/Enchanting!

I can't stress how good these professions are. These are where ~80% of my gold has come from throughout cataclysm. Having a JC, Enchanter, Alchemist, Miner - makes the ore shuffle really efficient.

Deleted
    Might be wrong, but arent those 2 professions i would have to buy (some) items for?

As you can see, i have limited gold available, so i thought id take one gathering and one crafting profession to stay as cheap as possible

Thank you anyways.

Although you get more profit from farming your own ore/herb, it takes more time.

20k is a nice sum of gold and you will make it back really fast at the beginning on an expansion if you have the right professions. At the beginning on Cata I only had herb/alchemy on one toon and inscription on another and I made about 40k just casually making things and selling on the AH. Now that I have a toon with JC/tailoring mining/herbing inscription/mining alchemy/herb enchanting/LW I'll be set for the next exp.

All in all, you should level JC on the toon with mining and level enchanting with the skinning toon. You'll have mining/herb/alch/enchanting/JC the best gold makers.

Deleted
    JC seems pretty annoying to level up (according to www.tarouwowguides.com), especially if combined with mining.

Would you guys consider craftable items when thinking about a profession to level? For example, i'm planning on leveling my rogue first, and if i would take inscription, there would only be Staves/Relics to craft (besides glyphs / darkmoon cards of course). Just thinking of that because, just for an example, you get a trinket when you level Alchemy.

Thanks thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thewax View Post
    Hi there guys,

in preperation for MoP i think i have to get the Char i plan to play on some professions, but I dont know what i should level in terms of earning some gold. I dont care about min/maxing since i only raid on occasion, it's purely about not being broke with as little effort as possible

Some facts:

All in all i think i have about 20k Gold combined from all of my 85s (5).
    I have one Char with Herb/Alchemy (525), one with Mining (525) and one with Skinning (480ish).

I'm kinda tending to leveling Herbalism / Alchemy (AGAIN), but Herbalism/Inscription also sounds interesting, since a friend of mine got Inscription at 525 and i swear to you guys that every time he is at my place he opens his mailbox and loots at least 15k gold.

Maybe you guys can give me some Advice / Feedback - those thoughts of mine are not set in stone.
    Inscription really needs you to work at it and make an investment in those Book of Glyph Masteries to truly succeed in that profession. You need to be on day and night to cancel and relist your auctions. The people hitting those high numbers sell glyphs that can only be learned through those books. So glyphs like Termplar's Verdict will cost a fortune upwards of 200G+ because very few have them. While very common glyphs learned from your trainer sell for less than the costs of the mats to make them. Inscription is a very risky, time consuming and frustration profession.

Scribes got the short end of the stick this expansion when Blizzard decided that glyphs were permanent. This has totally cut the value of all glyphs by more than 3/4. People do not have to come back time and time again to buy the same glyph or keep changing glyphs depending on the encounter which happened pretty often in WTLK. Another thing to keep in mind those Books dropped from the WTLK Heroics/Dungeons. Therefore most scribes spent 2 entire years farming those books. You will be at a disadvantage if you are looking to make serious cash from glyphs.

However, Inscription does very well at the start of each expansion due to Darkmoon Cards. Some of these trinkets are BiS till the 2nd tier of the expansion. That is the primary reason for me leveling Inscription. The second reason is that you don't need to farm rep for your shoulder enchants and therefore I have Inscription on my Alt. Inscription serves my purpose. I spent 2-3K to level Inscripion. I am not looking to make much gold from it. I am happy with what I make.

The good thing about Inscription is that it is cheap as hell to level up. You don't need 100s of different herbs. Buy stacks and tons of the cheapest herbs and mill them for their respective ink. Alchemy is however pretty profitable as well with the transmutation CD. If you have a JC you can get pretty lucky. I've got luck at times and transmuting carnellians has resulted in 3 Infernos. Alchemy gives you more of a daily income which is pretty much guaranteed. I use to sell Truegold for around 150-200G a CD at the start of the expansion. I proceeded to level a 2nd Alchemist to make use of a 2nd CD.

Like I said Alchemy and Inscription are both good and cheap professions. It totally depends what are your objectives from each one. However, remember you are pretty much at a disadvantage when it comes to Inscription because you are starting more than 4 years after the profession was introduced where as people have been doing their daily researches for months on end. However, keep your eyes and ears open. Blizzard has suggested that they could do away with the books and are redoing Inscription but don't expect the gold to come in immediately.

---------- Post added 2012-04-11 at 09:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thewax View Post
    JC seems pretty annoying to level up (according to www.tarouwowguides.com), especially if combined with mining.

Would you guys consider craftable items when thinking about a profession to level? For example, i'm planning on leveling my rogue first, and if i would take inscription, there would only be Staves/Relics to craft (besides glyphs / darkmoon cards of course). Just thinking of that because, just for an example, you get a trinket when you level Alchemy.

Thanks thanks
    JC is annoying to level up, true because it was implemented during TBC and most of the lower level stuff has little to no resale value. And very few of the cut gems even sell. So you pretty much are writing off an entire investment when leveling JC. You only really start bringing in the gold once you reach the max level.

Alchemy can be very beneficial to a raider. They get double the duration of all flasks as well as a 40% increase effect from all potions. So if you plan on raiding, Alchemy is a decent raiding profession.

P.S Avoid following tauro's guides. I use to follow his guides until I came across wowproffessions.com. Some of tauro's guide follow very expensive skill ups which may be quicker but expensive.

But again it totally depends what you want from your professions. I took Inscription on my Druid because it is an alt and I don't quest/ do dailies on her at all. It is convenient for me to simply level Inscription and get my +80 stat bonus rather than going out farming rep with a new faction. Inscription is the cheapest profession in the game to level purely for the stat bonus. That was my reasoning. I have tailoring and enchanting on my main - mage and JC and Alchemy on my Paladin. I don't have any gathering profession because it is a lot of time wasted. I rather spend on materials and make a larger income than farm all the materials myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    Inscription really needs you to work at it and make an investment in those Book of Glyph Masteries to truly succeed in that profession. You need to be on day and night to cancel and relist your auctions. The people hitting those high numbers sell glyphs that can only be learned through those books. So glyphs like Termplar's Verdict will cost a fortune upwards of 200G+ because very few have them. While very common glyphs learned from your trainer sell for less than the costs of the mats to make them. Inscription is a very risky, time consuming and frustration profession.

Scribes got the short end of the stick this expansion when Blizzard decided that glyphs were permanent. This has totally cut the value of all glyphs by more than 3/4. People do not have to come back time and time again to buy the same glyph or keep changing glyphs depending on the encounter which happened pretty often in WTLK. Another thing to keep in mind those Books dropped from the WTLK Heroics/Dungeons. Therefore most scribes spent 2 entire years farming those books. You will be at a disadvantage if you are looking to make serious cash from glyphs.

However, Inscription does very well at the start of each expansion due to Darkmoon Cards. Some of these trinkets are BiS till the 2nd tier of the expansion. That is the primary reason for me leveling Inscription. The second reason is that you don't need to farm rep for your shoulder enchants and therefore I have Inscription on my Alt. Inscription serves my purpose. I spent 2-3K to level Inscripion. I am not looking to make much gold from it. I am happy with what I make.

The good thing about Inscription is that it is cheap as hell to level up. You don't need 100s of different herbs. Buy stacks and tons of the cheapest herbs and mill them for their respective ink. Alchemy is however pretty profitable as well with the transmutation CD. If you have a JC you can get pretty lucky. I've got luck at times and transmuting carnellians has resulted in 3 Infernos. Alchemy gives you more of a daily income which is pretty much guaranteed. I use to sell Truegold for around 150-200G a CD at the start of the expansion. I proceeded to level a 2nd Alchemist to make use of a 2nd CD.

Like I said Alchemy and Inscription are both good and cheap professions. It totally depends what are your objectives from each one. However, remember you are pretty much at a disadvantage when it comes to Inscription because you are starting more than 4 years after the profession was introduced where as people have been doing their daily researches for months on end. However, keep your eyes and ears open. Blizzard has suggested that they could do away with the books and are redoing Inscription but don't expect the gold to come in immediately.

---------- Post added 2012-04-11 at 09:58 PM ----------

JC is annoying to level up, true because it was implemented during TBC and most of the lower level stuff has little to no resale value. And very few of the cut gems even sell. So you pretty much are writing off an entire investment when leveling JC. You only really start bringing in the gold once you reach the max level.

Alchemy can be very beneficial to a raider. They get double the duration of all flasks as well as a 40% increase effect from all potions. So if you plan on raiding, Alchemy is a decent raiding profession.

P.S Avoid following tauro's guides. I use to follow his guides until I came across wowproffessions.com. Some of tauro's guide follow very expensive skill ups which may be quicker but expensive.

But again it totally depends what you want from your professions. I took Inscription on my Druid because it is an alt and I don't quest/ do dailies on her at all. It is convenient for me to simply level Inscription and get my +80 stat bonus rather than going out farming rep with a new faction. Inscription is the cheapest profession in the game to level purely for the stat bonus. That was my reasoning. I have tailoring and enchanting on my main - mage and JC and Alchemy on my Paladin. I don't have any gathering profession because it is a lot of time wasted. I rather spend on materials and make a larger income than farm all the materials myself.
    Oh wow thank you for that HUGE post, very very very very helpful!

I'm not gonna level Inscription because it seems to be too time intensive (my pal also told me that), no way i can check the AH all the time everyday to get the maximum profit out of it.

I think i'm gonna stick to Alchemy, since it wont hurt to have it on 2 characters for extra transmutes, and it seems fairly ok to level up.

Again, thank you for your time and the huge writeup, i appreciate it very much, thanks!

Well glad I could help. Your friend is pretty much spot on. It is a very time intensive profession and you have a ton of other competitors. Like I said I don't bother making gold from inscription as it serves my main and only objective - cheapest profession to get +80 stat on and it saves me from farming rep with factions.

Alchemy is an easy profession to level up probably one of the easiest with inscription. I've levelled up Alchemy in half a day's time if you have all the mats. But I don't think any profession besides tailoring gives you any return on your investment till maximum level. That was one of the main reasons for levelling tailoring even though it required a shit ton of mats. You get what you put in it. I am currently selling certain transfmorg items for 200G a piece