Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why are people rejecting every theory?

You can post thread with some conspiration, alien or other theory and approximately 80% of people will reject this theory without any thinking or considering the proofs. I am not the one who believes every conspiration theory, but I find them interesting. I like to consider every proof and possibility of theory being true or false. I also like to examine why some people could find this or that theory to be possible. However I hate people who are like - No, it isn't possible because someone said it was like that.

I find it rather disturbing that majority of people aren't able to think for themselves and usually stick to the facts that are fed to them by goverment or general media. People should be more sceptical and question everything suspicious or unclear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, without that it's not worth my time to humor anyone who thinks they saw the man behind the curtain.

Deleted
    Post reasonable proof, not some crackpot conspiracy website and people may take the time to read it. Without proof you are just wasting peoples time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres actually a very simple reason. Occam's Razor explains it. usually the most obvious answer is usually true. This is evident in nature, science, everything.

It's great to have an open mind, but conspiracies are often a product of either having 'too' open a mind, or actual degradation of someone's reality matrix (paranoia, etc)

I have a very open mind, but some stuff has plenty of proof that has been given, that it is considered common knowledge.

It's the same reason people don't believe the world is flat, or mankind didn't evolve over time from other species. There are groups of people that believe THOSE are the conspiracies.

Deleted
    I think you misunderstand the word proof... they have no proof, otherwise noone could reject their theories out of hand. What they claim to have is 'evidence' and most of the 'evidence' is generally very weak or circumstantial with many potential counter-explainations that do not rely on the entire body of established science working in a completely different fassion to that which hundreds of years of scientific thinking and experimentation suggests it works.

There's nobody rejecting any theories, that's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by martincd View Post
    I find it rather disturbing that majority of people aren't able to think for themselves and usually stick to the facts that are fed to them by goverment or general media.
    Many of us find it disturbing that people considering it "thinking for themselves" when they eat up conspiracy theories that have literally zero scientific ground and have as much real world basis as a fantasy book. Skepticism is healthy, of course, and there are some fishy things going on and marvels that can only be hypothesized by our generation, and many to come. But to take one theory that has no legitimate proof and run away crazily with it is being more of a "sheeple" than accepting current facts that have some, even tenuous, factual grounding. You're just baa'ing a different way.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's how it should work. If you make up a theory, bring proof.

Blame the people who package a light over an Air Force as an alien spaceship. Blame the people who fall for it even more.

Deleted
    How do you judge if a person is disclaiming a conspiracy based on how they view the facts or if that person is just following the government and general media?

So if someone is opposed to an outrageous conspiracy they can't be following their own believes? You think it's disturbing that the majority of people usually stick to the facts? tbh it seems rather healthy not to be paranoid all the time...

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Theres actually a very simple reason. Occam's Razor explains it. usually the most obvious answer is usually true. This is evident in nature, science, everything.

It's great to have an open mind, but conspiracies are often a product of either having 'too' open a mind, or actual degradation of someone's reality matrix (paranoia, etc)

I have a very open mind, but some stuff has plenty of proof that has been given, that it is considered common knowledge.

It's the same reason people don't believe the world is flat, or mankind didn't evolve over time from other species. There are groups of people that believe THOSE are the conspiracies.
    Occam's Razor is in fact the best scientific explanation as to why most of such theories are likely very wrong. However, the reason why most people ignore them is a side-issue related to Occam's.

Human's have, through necessity, developed the capacity to IGNORE massive amounts of information. We do this all the time, because we can't process all of it. It's a psychological necessity. Thus humans will tend to "shut out" most background noise if their psyche deems that it is not necessary to their survival or to their current state of happiness.

Now enter Occam's razor. Through time, the simplest explanation has almost always been the best. This is why scientists love simple equations, because they're the most likely to be correct. It's also why certain useful tools such as Schrodinger's Equation are still mistrusted. We assume that they mask simpler equations that could solve the same problem. As humans we've learned to accept that simplicity is very strong, as a rule. Thus complex theories require proof.

Now enter a crackpot theory. It breaks Occam's Razor, therefore the standard person ignores it unless enough proof is given. This is almost never the case. So, you get blithely ignored.

You can post thread with some conspiration, alien or other theory and approximately 80% of people will reject this theory without any thinking or considering the proofs.
    The point is, there hasn't been any factual proof yet.

I find it rather disturbing that majority of people aren't able to think for themselves and usually stick to the facts that are fed to them by goverment or general media. People should be more sceptical and question everything suspicious or unclear.
    And I find it rather disturbing that people insist on telling me that I can't think for myself because I don't believe what they do.

Just for the record, I don't believe that we are alone in the universe, I actually find it silly to believe otherwise.
    Last edited by Idoru; 2012-04-16 at 08:38 PM.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Jump on the bandwagon of thinking for yourself!
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. If you can't back up the claim with reasonable (granted this may be subjective) proof, then the claims are sure to be rejected.

10+ Year Old Account
    One believes oneself to have such sureness of intelligence that acknowledging an inability to understand calls in question the clarity of the author and not that of one's own mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now enter a crackpot theory. It breaks Occam's Razor, therefore the standard person ignores it unless enough proof is given. This is almost never the case. So, you get blithely ignored.
    As a side note, many forms of dementia are often a result of the brain being unable to filter out all the chaos in the world. That massive amount of information, unsorted and constant, is a good reason to lose grasp on reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    A healthy dose of skepticism is good. We should not be so willing to believe in unproven hypotheses until we have enough evidence.

Conspiracy theories, by nature, are not backed by solid evidence.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as people show me strong evidence in favor of a theory, I'm willing to think about it. If people only provide weak evidence in favor of a theory, or if the evidence against the theory is stronger or simpler, I'll reject the theory. Simple as that really.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    It's also why certain useful tools such as Schrodinger's Equation are still mistrusted.
    Slightly off topic but, while the quantum mechanic is quite "tricky" to understand, it uses some really "simple" mathematical object (which are therefore really hard to use(*)), and Schrodinger's Esquation is literally the simplest evolution equation one could come up given that formalism...

OT : As said multiple time, anytime someone come with something new, most people will try disagreeing with them, just to find "holes" in the resonning (and give the author opportunity to refine it). All current "accepted" theory were one laughed at, and people tried disproving them, and only when, after a few year, it manage to still "make sense" and explain new observation does it become the "new" cannon.

(*) that's a common theme in fundamental mathematics, the more "simple" the objects are, the less one can "do" with them, and so the harder it is to comprehend and manipulate them.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Post reasonable proof, not some crackpot conspiracy website and people may take the time to read it. Without proof you are just wasting peoples time.
    Foxnews says hi... and plenty of people (sadly) religiously watch that crap without any reasonable proof to their claims. And see: religion

I am open to any and all theories, no matter how crazy they might seem.. doesn't mean I believe any of them. I accept facts proven by science.