Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    What if someone, whose power is beyond your's to control at the moment is about to murder your family. Like, a rampaging insane murdering armed to the death rapist starts to attack you and your family. You try to defend them and another man jumps in to help you fight the lunatic off and dies for it. Would you find him more honorable or just another guy that is raising a family?

Definition of home and countrymen can be scaled to fit many situations.
    You seemed to have missed the part where he said "Honor is defined differently by different people."

And in your scenario, no, the man risking his life to save the other man's family would not be more honorable than the man defending his own family, at least according to what Siggman just said. You can disagree with that, but don't force your ideals onto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Liljander View Post
    What if you'll have to go into battle to protect your children?
    That would fall under making sure your family is well looked after and loved. Might not live long, but you can't have done otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. The person who develops a warp drive or revolutionizes commercial space travel, or even perfects teraforming of other planets is in my opinion a greater person then a mere soldier of a country.
    Once warp drive becomes standardized and an everyday thing...... i can guarantee you that the men everyone will look up to would still be the valiant soldiers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Sounds good to me. Although, it makes me think of a quote I heard once.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

So yes, it's all good and honorable to die for your country, but it's far more effective to kill for it.
    I think I remember hearing that in the Patton movie.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    You seemed to have missed the part where he said "Honor is defined differently by different people."

And in your scenario, no, the man risking his life to save the other man's family would not be more honorable than the man defending his own family, at least according to what Siggman just said. You can disagree with that, but don't force your ideals onto others.
    I did not say that the man intervening is more honorable than the man whose family is being attacked. I was comparing the intervening party to just some other guy that raises a family and does nothing except carries out his day to day tasks.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    *differing view point incoming*

The unconditional and undying love of somebody that spends the balance of they're life hand in hand with you.

The true power behind great men is the women who stand with them in life. Yea I'm a mushy romantic putz, but good men can become great men with a loving partner at they're side
    Not flying my Sig because somebody got butthurt because I posted a question that they didn't like in they're little pet post and sicked ScrapBot on me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Moneybagz View Post
    A brilliant man would find a way not to fight a war.
    See also: Mohandas Gandhi
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

the greatest honor is getting the Insane title

10+ Year Old Account
    He only said that because he wanted them to die for his own personal glory.

Those guys were all saps. Pawns.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Theatre View Post
    How about advancing the interests of the human race as a whole, rather than just one's own homeland? Seems far more nobler to me.
    Yes. Calling dying for one's homeland as the greatest honor possible doesn't really belong the 21st century in my view.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once warp drive becomes standardized and an everyday thing...... i can guarantee you that the men everyone will look up to would still be the valiant soldiers.
    Still? This is not ancient Rome, and even then the movie is Alexander. Name some famous soldiers of today?
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunefire View Post

The unconditional and undying love of somebody that spends the balance of they're life hand in hand with you.

The true power behind great men is the women who stand with them in life. Yea I'm a mushy romantic putz, but good men can become great men with a loving partner at they're side
    I'm also a mushy romantic, except this this thread is for "the greatest honor a MAN can achieve"

I believe one of the greatest snipers of all time was a woman.....lemme find link.....and here ya go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko

Quote Originally Posted by Theatre View Post
    How about advancing the interests of the human race as a whole, rather than just one's own homeland? Seems far more nobler to me
    So long as there's people in the world whose interests consist of jihads, acid attacks, stonings, paedophilia, the mutilation of the genitalia of infants, and the subjugation of women, to name but a few, i'll pass on the teenage mentality of joining hands with everyone and singing kumbayah when I would sooner spit on such people or worse. Taking care of my family and myself, now that's more than enough to preoccupy my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunespire

This also. I honestly don't have much worry nor care for the people beyond those whom I love, and I certainly won't be assuming some cringeworthily Bono-esque 'save the world' mentality any time soon.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-04-12 at 02:16 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    No I am not humble. Humility is for the weak unless used as a deception
    Yah okay NewYork, we get it, you proudly wear a ny hates you tshirt while proudly yelling "yah? FUCK YOU!"
    Those who have not learned humble, are a blight on society, and often have names that stand out, like george dubbayou, yasar arraft, and charles manson.
    They don't piss in a toilet, they gift that fucking pot with their urinary prowness. right?
    Sure you can say "treat shame with shamelessness", but that makes you 'out of touch with reality', (read as megalomaniac).
    I bet when you pour a cup of joe you scream about your great accomplishment to the world....
    When you discovered the barrens, did you stride proudly to the window to yell about your great accomplishments to the rest of new york?
    I bet you did....
    In contrast, people who have done GREAT things, greater then your no name anyhow, knew what it was to be humble.
    So I ask you, what exactly have you done worth not being humble about?
    Anything at all?
    no?
    Right....sit the next round out and have a think.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would I be honored to die with my countrymen in battle? hell no.
    I'm pretty sure it depends on the man...
    Not everyone believes war is the answer, and a man far more intelligent than nearly everyone should know this.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Yah okay NewYork, we get it, you proudly wear a ny hates you tshirt while proudly yelling "yah? FUCK YOU!"
    Those who have not learned humble, are a blight on society, and often have names that stand out, like george dubbayou, yasar arraft, and charles manson.
    They don't piss in a toilet, they gift that fucking pot with their urinary prowness. right?
    Sure you can say "treat shame with shamelessness", but that makes you 'out of touch with reality', (read as megalomaniac).
    I bet when you pour a cup of joe you scream about your great accomplishment to the world....
    When you discovered the barrens, did you stride proudly to the window to yell about your great accomplishments to the rest of new york?
    I bet you did....
    In contrast, people who have done GREAT things, greater then your no name anyhow, knew what it was to be humble.
    Anything at all?
    no?
    What I think is that if I start responding to you I will get an infraction :/

I'm really trying my best to stay unbanned for more than 48 hours this time.

In this video clip from the movie alexander

at around 3:50, he says more or else "The greatest honor a man can ever achieve, is to live with great courage, and to die with his countrymen in battle for his home"

Now I don't usually get intellectually affected as I am far far more intelligent than nearly everyone, but this quote has really made me think. Is there really anything more honorable than what Alexander the Great said?

IMO no. I cannot think of a single thing. What do you guys think?
    You don't seem very intelligent.

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-04-12 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    So long as there's people in the world whose interests consist of jihads, acid attacks, stonings, paedophilia, the mutilation of the genitalia of infants, and the subjugation of women, to name but a few, i'll pass on the teenage mentality of joining hands with everyone and singing kumbayah when I would sooner spit on such people or worse. Taking care of my family and myself, now that's more than enough to preoccupy my lifetime.

This also. I honestly don't have much worry nor care for the people beyond those whom I love, and I certainly won't be assuming some cringeworthily Bono-esque 'save the world' mentality any time soon.
    I sometimes wonder how oblivious people are to history. Whether it was the League of Nations or A Federation of Planets......people seem to think that song and dance will convert the most violently horrific men in history.

I wonder how would Stalin react if someone came up to him and said "Hey, I don't really respect you because you don't value........" I did not even write a reason because people like that would have you, and everyone you have ever loved, murdered as soon as you said the words "don't" and "respect"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    I bet you did....
    Anything at all?
    no?
    well, humility is not necessary to do great things...case in point : steve jobs.
    You can call him a million things but humble wasn't one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taziri View Post
    You don't seem very intelligent.
    Your personal attacks only increase my post count...... what if I were to say that the only reason I put that sentence in was to have people like you respond, so that I have a legitimate reason to respond in kind, to only further my plans of increasing my post count?
    Last edited by Aurust; 2012-04-12 at 02:34 AM.

honor is manufactured. the best thing you can do is step on all those who get in your way. that's what we're meant to do. we put that aside to pretend to play nice while we step on those in our way distracted by the idea of playing fair.