Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    This is why people hate feminists. You disagree with ANYTHING they say - you are a DAMNABLE VILLAIN.
    nah people hate feminists because they hate women.

  2. #62
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The stars
    Posts
    1,790
    Well, maybe an overreaction, but I am a little sad... It gave him a bit of personality and I really laughed hard when he started macking on my panda...

    I mean, we've got Stern-and-Battlready Varian, we've got Bleeding-heart "If I could only give more for my people" Genn, we've got the total zit-head that's Garrosh. Each NPC has this thing that really defines them in a way they talk and act.

    Ji and his philosphy are all 'act now' and 'only regret not taking action' and I think the somewhat carefree compliments and such he was throwing around fit very nicely into that personality. I mean, nine times out of ten he'd get a slap in the face for his flirting... but what if the tenth liked him back and would've never acted if he never started?

    Yeah... over-analyzing that there, but it just felt natural between the two major NPCs. Aysa was calculating and reserved, Jin outgoing and a bit of a flirt.

    Participant in the Rhonin Diaries 1, 2, 3 and 4.
    Not the best Rogue in the world, just a Tribute.

  3. #63
    Holy crap...did someone truly complain about a videogame character's innocent flirtatious comment? Not like Ji asked for a blowjob or anything.. or "hey, nice tits,lets hook up" ..good god.. How frustrated can a person be to make an issue out of something like that. The person who complained about it needs to get laid..BADLY. And for the record, I'm a female and think its a shame they changed his lines, the original text made me chuckle.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Yes. It offends all women. Makes perfect sense.
    doesn't need to offend all women, but it sure as hell would offend more than one.

  5. #65
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,727
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    nah people hate feminists because they hate women.
    Most people hate feminists because a good deal of them hate men.
    In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I don't think anyone is really that upset. It just seems like a rather unnecessary change to make.
    I don't know about that. It is kinda upsetting that a really unique character who stood out, was nerfed down in personality. It was an unnecessary change. One I really think should be reverted. To me, there was no reason for people to be offended at being called gorgeous.

  7. #67
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,727
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    doesn't need to offend all women, but it sure as hell would offend more than one.
    And there's many women who are perfectly fine with it; where does this undue privilege/right for the 'offended' to dictate to the unoffended come from? I for one don't recognise it.
    In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post

    Remember the troll /joke? "I kill 2 dwarves in the mornin, I kill 2 dwarves at night?"

    Very similar to the Bob Marley song... " I smoke 2 joints in the mornin, I smoke 2 joints at night..."
    Or, the Sublime song called... Smoke 2 Joints? Yeah it has the exact same line. So I'm curious how it's borderline copyright infringement to use a couplet someone else created and change it, or hell even just use it again as the music industry does every single day...

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    And there's many women who are perfectly fine with it; where does this undue privilege/right for the 'offended' to dictate to the unoffended come from? I for one don't recognise it.
    pretty simple economics really, people will stop paying for something if they are offended by it, they will not stop paying for it simply because something offensive to someone else was removed.

  10. #70
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,285
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    nah people hate feminists because they hate women.
    Nah, people hate feminists because they respect women. Also because they ARE women.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    well your argument is pointless given it supports an example of gender inequality proven to offend women.
    And what about the women who have stated they are not offended by the original line of dialogue, and the women who have stated that the change itself is offensive to them because it implies that any acknowledgement of difference between the sexes is (but should not) automatically be construed as enforcing gender inequality ?

    Acknowledging difference is not automatically reinforcing inequality. Being blind to the fact that differences exist, in fact, is counter-productive, because without acknowledging difference, there can be no meaningful efforts to minimize and eliminate inequality.

    And I think in this specific case, are we not allowed to have characters who are not perfect ambassadors of political correctness ? Nevermind we're trying to apply American values to a fictional culture in a videogame.

    So, where does it end ? Let's assume for a second, for argument's sake, that Ji's original line is sexist. Are we not allowed to depict negative qualities in fiction anymore ? How many classic works of literature, film, song, poetry, would have to be banned, or re-written ?
    Last edited by Count Zero; 2012-04-12 at 02:57 PM. Reason: clarification

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Most people hate feminists because a good deal of them hate men.
    it's not a 'good deal' but of course some of them do, it's an understandable reaction to hate the particular group who has oppressed you unfairly throughout society since the dawn of time and continues to do so. I prefer rational feminists who accept male support but I can understand the attitude of the tiny minority of vocal feminists who don't hate men.

  13. #73
    Dreadlord shimargh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    somewhere near here and there
    Posts
    864
    more and more, blizzard just keep listening dumb ppl...
    first the theralion voice (wich was awesome) and now this.
    sexism is the base for machism and feminism, why do you need to do specific rules for each gender? (please make clear i'm talking of this example, don't go on and read whatever you want, so you can later treat me as i am somekind of woman hater or whatever your lil minds could make of with that, PLEASE...)
    i mean,
    WB:"oh this offends me as a woman. i want it changed"
    BZ:"ok"
    ...later
    WB:"why don't you treat me like equals?, I have the same rights, blah blah blah"


    and btw, yeah, we have plate bikinies, but this line is offensive...
    (and yes WB, is for whiny bitch)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by shimargh View Post
    FFVII is the NIRVANA of the RPGs, i mean the band of course. WAAAAY TOO OVERRATED. waay too.

  14. #74
    Dreadlord glowzone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bucket of sponges
    Posts
    866
    I'm pretty sure I remember Goldmine (goblin shaman in deepholm) going "hey toots can ya give me a hand" to my female characters.

  15. #75
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    And what about the women who have stated they are not offended by the original line of dialogue, and the women who have stated that the change itself is offensive to them because it implies that any acknowledgement of difference between the sexes should not automatically be construed as enforcing gender inequality ?
    Oh, don't you know? They are probably "self-hating women" who are indoctrinated by "years of oppression" basically they can't think for themselves. As I said, anyone who disagrees with a feminist, woman or man, is a DAMNABLE VILLAIN.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

  16. #76
    these are dark days when calling a girl gougeous is offensive.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    So, where does it end ? Let's assume for a second, for argument's sake, that Ji's original line is sexist. Are we not allowed to depict negative qualities in fiction anymore ? How many classic works of literature, film, song, poetry, would have to be banned, or re-written ?
    we can when it's a deliberate subversion of negative qualities, otherwise it's supporting that quality and unacceptable. one pointlessly sexist line in the Beta of a video game from one of thousands of NPCs has no cultural weight to justify its existence, it's just passive misogny and I'm glad they changed it.

    the first thing I said in this thread was; whine about this in an equal world. I stand by that, as it stands accept that positive discrimination is the only effective method of combatting the prejudices inhererent in our attitudes and behaviours.

  18. #78
    Lord Anthrysist says hello.

    Probably not too long before the 'mouth only hole banana goes' line goes too.

    Makes me mad when they remove stuff and water it down.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Oh, don't you know? They are probably "self-hating women" who are indoctrinated by "years of oppression" basically they can't think for themselves. As I said, anyone who disagrees with a feminist, woman or man, is a DAMNABLE VILLAIN.
    that's just an ignorant, hateful generalisation which contributes nothing. keep quiet while the adults are talking please.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    And what about the women who have stated they are not offended by the original line of dialogue, and the women who have stated that the change itself is offensive to them because it implies that any acknowledgement of difference between the sexes should not automatically be construed as enforcing gender inequality ?

    Acknowledging difference is not automatically reinforcing inequality. Being blind to the fact that differences exist, in fact, is counter-productive, because without acknowledging difference, there can be no meaningful efforts to minimize and eliminate inequality.

    And I think in this specific case, are we not allowed to have characters who are not perfect ambassadors of political correctness ? Nevermind we're trying to apply American values to a fictional culture in a videogame.

    So, where does it end ? Let's assume for a second, for argument's sake, that Ji's original line is sexist. Are we not allowed to depict negative qualities in fiction anymore ? How many classic works of literature, film, song, poetry, would have to be banned, or re-written ?
    Well said. And if telling a woman she is gorgeous is offensive, then what? We are never to compliment a woman on her beauty? I think Dave Chappelle said it best:

    "Some women say that chivalry is dead. And they are right. Chivalry is dead. And women killed it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •