Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Filtern View Post
    Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for the night. Teach the man to fish, and he is fed for his lifetime.

Athene starving himself is just yet another possible dead paladin, I say stop at 999 999 dollars
    Indeed, spend the 1mil dollars on fishing poles for them instead

I'm not a fan of this decision. Being a long time follower of Athene, I only think it will hurt his channel and fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by dadio View Post
    Athene needs to do this to get some awareness but i think he should only do it for like 250k not the full 1 mil he cant live that long he doesnt have the fat/muscle to go that long.
    Theyre pretty good on pace, so there's no reason to do it.
    We are gonna make the 1mil on time :S

But, if he's gonna go 100% emo... then just don't tell us about it.

Ultimately I guess they've realised that doing this stream every night isn't going to hit the target.. eventually the donations will dry up because everyone who was willing to donate has already done so, and they can't expect the same people to keep donating over and over.

So they're doing this as a classic Athene PR stunt.. get some media attention, get some new visitors, get some new donations and fingers crossed it works in the end and the donations start to flood in. I doubt they're going to take it to the extreme of him collapsing and ending up in hospital. It's still risky to his health however.

What worries me also is he has a lot of followers, some young and easily influenced, who may decide to follow him in this and try to do it 'together' with him.. that will be a bad scene.

Because us sending them food is how the problem started and how it got worse. They've survived for thousands of years without us.
    When we "dive in" and feed them when they've got no food, less of them will die, but they will keep reproducing. The result being more people to feed the next time there's starvation and when they're eventually too many most of them will die because we can't feed them all.

Sure this sounds awful but postponing the disaster is more inhumane if you ask me.
    Someone mentioned Sam Kinison before and they should do as he said: move where the food is and stop having 8 kids each.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Then why not giving it directly to UNICEF? Just let the guy starve. lol
    >>Because having a signature is so mainstream.<<

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Giving money to the red cross > Giving it to some random WoW player
    You arent giving money to a random WoW player. It is going directly to Save the Children Foundation. I can understand if you dont like Athene, his attitude and persona can be a bit grating at some points. But, this is going to a good cause and he's trying to make the world a better place. Is it going to stop/change anything? Probably not, but there is a chance. But, if no one brings attention to the the bad shit happening in the world nothing is going to change. So, if you feel your money is better spent/donated by giving to the Red Cross that's fine. But, dont cheapen what private parties (in this case Athene) are trying to do to bring awareness to their circles/viewer base.
    You can catch me on Twitter @leoniditron
    I am streaming almost every night (WoW, BF3, WoT, RO2) Check it out: http://www.twitch.tv/leoniditron

15+ Year Old Account
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    Quote Originally Posted by dadio View Post
    Athene needs to do this to get some awareness but i think he should only do it for like 250k not the full 1 mil he cant live that long he doesnt have the fat/muscle to go that long.
    I'm all popcorn and beer waiting for the drop.

I wonder if he will drop anything good for rogues.
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

Awesome, popcorn ready - lets see how long he lasts.

For everyone saying he's going to die, or that he won't make it to 1 Mil, he's not planning to go past a certain point. He has a doctor checking on him daily, and he will stop as soon as the doctor tells him that its about to start being permanently harmful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    Igorant people are amazing. They will be hungry and you will still be a moron.
    not sure why people in a different country deserve to be fed more than the starving people in our own country

Quote Originally Posted by Furye View Post
    Exactly.

I can't be the only one that feels less inclined to donate in the hopes that Athene starves to death?

Deleted
    haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Ultimately I guess they've realised that doing this stream every night isn't going to hit the target.. eventually the donations will dry up because everyone who was willing to donate has already done so, and they can't expect the same people to keep donating over and over.

So they're doing this as a classic Athene PR stunt.. get some media attention, get some new visitors, get some new donations and fingers crossed it works in the end and the donations start to flood in. I doubt they're going to take it to the extreme of him collapsing and ending up in hospital. It's still risky to his health however.

What worries me also is he has a lot of followers, some young and easily influenced, who may decide to follow him in this and try to do it 'together' with him.. that will be a bad scene.
    No..
    Other people are starting to join now.

And why should the media care if he goes on hunger strike ?
    He will just look like another maniac gamer.
    The guy who did the hunger strike the longest made 115 days.
    And he was pretty well fed already, so Athene's not gonna last for long.

And what if other people joins him... eh ? So what ?

15+ Year Old Account
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furye View Post
    Yeah, the reply for that would be "GAMERS NEED TO BE AWARE OF THE HUNGER ISSUE, HE IS THE LINK"
    Yeah well, what i got to respond to isn't related to gamers it's to humans.
    I don't think gamers don't know of the world's problems, and they certainly don't need Athene to be notified.
    If they wanted to do good, they'd of done it regardless of this prancing wanna-be star
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

10+ Year Old Account
    although i agree with what hes doing i cant say i will miss him...

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    not sure why people in a different country deserve to be fed more than the starving people in our own country
    Nobody said they didn't need to be fed "in our own country". You do realize you are posting on the internet, on a site based in France BTW? Not sure what context "our own country" has there.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    You're right. We should ignore it. Or better yet, give people who care and are DOING SOMETHING a hard time. What's the worst that can happen, right?

No, we should start trying to build the poor a better future. Not just feed them. We need to help them to be able to care for themselves. They need stability, peace, education, clean water.
    It might sound heartless, but we should strive to cure the disease, not the symptoms. It's still a good effort, but I wish we'd start doing it right and proper.

All we do with these collections of money for food is to soothe our own guilty conciences (or how you spell it).

Quote Originally Posted by Cthuhlu View Post
    You arent giving money to a random WoW player. It is going directly to Save the Children Foundation. I can understand if you dont like Athene, his attitude and persona can be a bit grating at some points. But, this is going to a good cause and he's trying to make the world a better place. Is it going to stop/change anything? Probably not, but there is a chance. But, if no one brings attention to the the bad shit happening in the world nothing is going to change. So, if you feel your money is better spent/donated by giving to the Red Cross that's fine. But, dont cheapen what private parties (in this case Athene) are trying to do to bring awareness to their circles/viewer base.
    In all honesty, if someone sais "I'll starve if you don't give money to Africa" is what you need to start helping, it's up to you. I surely hope that he goes all the way with this and that (no I don't wish him dead) he ends up in a hospital if he never reach 1m. If he can reach 1m soon, good for the world. It's only a bit (read: very very very) sad that people need their favourite online gamer to starve themselfs in order to open their wallets to the ones who need it.

Living in Sweden I've been raised to help others and I do so by constantly sending money to a child (Child sponsorship) and I always give away the spare change I recieve in supermarkets. Somehow it makes me a better person than someone wanting to give it because their idol starves otherwise.

Why hasn't this been closed for advertising?