Protection Paladin mitigation CD in MoP with Avenging Wrath

I was thinking that Avenging Wrath with the Glyph (2% hp every 4 sec during Avenging Wrath) would be a great mitigation CD in MoP to use with a trinket and/or Ardent defender. If I get Holy Avenger I can initiate without using Avenging Wrath, so I can save it as a 3 min cool down to use for mitigation. Prot Paladins are stuck with Eternal Flame now, so Avenging Wrath would give us 20% self healing and the 2% hp every 4 sec. All in all were looking at a great deal of +self healing in a situation that would cause us to pop Argent defender. Let me know what you all think...

P.s: Sacred Shield is now 18% base mana instead of 3 holy power, making it obsolete for the Prot Paladin.

2% hp every 4s = 10% self heal with 20s wings
    Nice side benefit but I'd probably still use it mostly for its damage buff or to boost wogs or flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    P.s: Sacred Shield is now 18% base mana instead of 3 holy power, making it obsolete for the Prot Paladin.
    It hasn't cost holy power all beta, and if you think it's "obsolete" then you're quite mistaken. The increased critical chance on Word of Glory and the refreshed shield every few seconds makes it worth it.

Eternal Flame is a worthwhile alternative, but considering one of our rather powerful talents obsolete during the beta is pretty silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention that Eternal Flame can result in a lot of overhealing, whereas the mini-absorbs from Sacred Shield will almost always get used. Not to mention the bonus WoG buff. They both have their uses, so it's definitely an experiment to find which best suits your situation.

For that matter, even Selfless Healer is still worth it (still downloading my beta, so that's just an estimate on my part).
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Thats why I added the ps. 18% base mana every 30 seconds (or so) when we are restoring 2% base mana every 5 seconds makes the skill obsolete.

Thats why I added the ps. 18% base mana every 30 seconds (or so) when we are restoring 2% base mana every 5 seconds makes the skill obsolete.
    Have you actually played with the beta? It's nearly impossible to oom as a Protection Paladin (relative to level 85) - you regenerate mana much faster than you can spend it. So no, it's not obsolete due to it's mana cost, far from it actually.

Alright suppose I use sacred shield instead of eternal flame, does the community still feel like this is a viable cooldown?

Deleted
    Alright suppose I use sacred shield instead of eternal flame, does the community still feel like this is a viable cooldown?
    If you're talking about Avenging Wrath, the answer is no. 10% HP over 20 seconds is a horrible cooldown, on beta I can heal more then that with just a single 3HP WoG.
    It's nice for some things, maybe pvp. But as a defensive cooldown it's garbage.

By the way a small HoT is not considered mitigation. Mitigation is about minimizing incoming damage :-)

I was thinking that Avenging Wrath with the Glyph (2% hp every 4 sec during Avenging Wrath) would be a great mitigation CD in MoP to use with a trinket and/or Ardent defender. If I get Holy Avenger I can initiate without using Avenging Wrath, so I can save it as a 3 min cool down to use for mitigation. Prot Paladins are stuck with Eternal Flame now, so Avenging Wrath would give us 20% self healing and the 2% hp every 4 sec. All in all were looking at a great deal of +self healing in a situation that would cause us to pop Argent defender. Let me know what you all think...

In my opinion I find the heal on Avenging Wrath to be rather lackluster. 10% hp over 20 seconds is only a couple attacks and can be healed up rather quickly when the healers are healing you anyway.

As for the tier with Eternal Flame and Sacred Shield, imo the Sacred Shield is worth way more to me than a HoT heal. The HoT heal will more than likely be overheal while the Sacred Shield absorbs X amount of damage every 6 seconds and increases your crit chance with Word of Glory (which has no cooldown now, except for maybe the 1.5sec was that or Shield of Righteous that had it)

Though the thing with the glyphs and talents this time is that there aren't many that are deemed as "must-have". So what someone else may think is beneficial someone else may not.

I've been playing with EF right now. With all 397 DS gear it ticks for about 2k per hp, so 6k tic every 3 seconds for 30 seconds.

The crit chance from sacred shield would be nice. I didn't check my spell% but I doubt it's much more than my 0.17% melee crit chance right now.

Shield of the righteousness is pretty nice. It makes you first block fully block the attack. Which by itself could be more valuable than either wog or the hot. Now in the entry dungeon in mop things only hit for like 6k so it's fairly irrelevant whether you heal yourself or not.

Deleted
    your holy pally's in the raid will go eith the heal over time due to one thing thats quite relevant.

sacred sheild can only be cse on 1 person,
    combined with
    you can only have one sacred sheild active at any time.

holy pallies will still be becon healing tanks more than actively "wog" ing a tank as thats how they stil are on beta.

having sared sheild give your tank wog's a decent crit chance makes those 60k wog's ( at 86 from my pally on beta) feel like we can at least have as much self healing as a dk, especialy if you spec divine purpose as while it stil has a 1. gcd as it's of the gcd you can keep your normal rotation going while healing yourself for no loss, also sheild is of the global so for prot all holy power abilities are of the global-> prot got a burst damg buff )

Feels like there is a lot of misinformation in this thread. Lets clear it up.

10% HP over 20 seconds is virtually nothing for a prot paladin. This glyph will never be used by anyone as a respectable CD, when there are clearly better options available, even if those options are purely damage/threat glyphs. If it healed the 10% right away, it would possibly but probably not be considered at best a very weak defensive CD.

I would be surprised if Maintankadin wasnt considering this as a defensive cd. The regen is a bonus, the 20% self healing is the reason why you would choose this as a defensive cd.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking that Avenging Wrath with the Glyph (2% hp every 4 sec during Avenging Wrath) would be a great mitigation CD in MoP to use with a trinket and/or Ardent defender.
    Its a nice bonus, but questionable as to how much value it'll offer a tank.

To be honest, its a choice between this and SH. Either would work well, so it depends solely on the final values. EF ***MAY*** be useful buit it requires HP so that'll be a sacrifice of a SotR or WoG. Given that, EF probably isn't going to be worth it for a tank. WoG will eb there if you need a heal, otherwise SotR. Again, a lot depends on final values. If EF compensates for the lost SotR/WoG then perhaps...but that seems unlikely as it'll be used by Holy/Ret as well.

EJL