Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    This, the reasoin you don't see it in WoW when people ask questions is the people don't want to answer the question in public chat and get trolled themselves. When I see a question asked in WoW I answer it in a whisper to the player so it does not get lost in the nonsense. Then if the player has further questions or is further confused by the answer, I can talk with them 1-on-1 without all the bashing that both of us would get. I am sure there are many that do the same thing, so when you see a question not get answered but not asked again, that's probably what happens.
    Which means what, exactly? How does that change the fact that the OP was able to ask questions in general chat and receive answers in general chat, without feeling like there were idiots out to cause harm?

If you want to respond to the OP and discuss Rift, go right ahead, but if you can't even bring up Rift or Trion in your response, you're really just discussing WoW on a Rift forum, which is neither the intent of this subforum, or a conversation that furthers the discussion.

Apologies if I sound like a jerk, I just don't want to see another thread closed because people get defensive for their non-Rift MMO.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Certain things that work in WoW to incite a good laugh (atleast on Deepwood) simply do not work in any way shape or form:
    . Chucks Norris jokes do not catch on
    . Any anal related jokes have never caught on after starting them
    . Trolling someone ends up getting you ignored

One thing I have seen that works is if you call someone a elitist or say they used a exploit. Only time we had good drama was when this guild pug'd a few spots in a raid and then when they got to the boss with the relic they kicked all the pugs. After it became public knowledge in 50 chat the guild leader was forced to respond due to the drama. When he was explaining it he capitalized "EMERGENCY MEETING!"

So now on Deepwood if anyone gets mad at someone they say EMERGENCY MEETING! and most everyone knows the running joke. This would be equivalent to "UMADGORDO" back on Mal'Ganis
    You must be GUARDIAN SCUM because I've never heard of this Emergency Meeting stuff. ;p

You silly Guardians. ^_^ We Defiants are amazing.

Deltress - Kelari Mage reporting in from Deepwood shard.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a much smaller community, so there would be less assholes in general. I didn't run into many assholes playing Rift either, I would attribute it to many things before suggesting that the community is "different" tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to bash on the WoW community but in every other smaller community i've been playing in like
    EQ2 and Lotro (before it went free2play) and rift there's less assholes and more maturity indeed, most likely because the kids are more drawn to WoW. I also meet more assholes on CoD than on Battlefield for example
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

There was a poll back in beta, and most the folk were over 25, think by a good 70%, I know the top 2 11/11 HK guilds on my server are mostly made up of people who are 30irl from random chatting with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    You'll find this with alot of games like this. WoW is the massive subscription whore, but when new games come out everyone wants to try it. Mostly because it's different the "new effect" wears off from the imature who can't really be bothered to try the new stuff out and are too happy with the same old same old so they go back to wow. Thus leaving the newer games free of the imature clowns who terrorise wow so much. I really like how this works, and i hope it works like this for GW2 and Tera.

Certain things that work in WoW to incite a good laugh (atleast on Deepwood) simply do not work in any way shape or form:

One thing I have seen that works is if you call someone a elitist or say they used a exploit. Only time we had good drama was when this guild pug'd a few spots in a raid and then when they got to the boss with the relic they kicked all the pugs. After it became public knowledge in 50 chat the guild leader was forced to respond due to the drama. When he was explaining it he capitalized "EMERGENCY MEETING!"

So now on Deepwood if anyone gets mad at someone they say EMERGENCY MEETING! and most everyone knows the running joke. This would be equivalent to "UMADGORDO" back on Mal'Ganis
    holy shit dude. I completely forgot about the UMADGORDO jokes on Mal'ganis...havent seen that guy since wotlk chilling in Dalaran. So are you a fellow Mal'ganis player or has the guy become that well known? I remember being one of the first people to see Gordonramsay (the guy in game not the chef) flip out in trade. Was great being a part of that.

The only thing I ever see is the occasional "F*ck this game im going back to wow." or "That's dumb. In WoW you can do that but here you cant." Its kinda funny. The replies are usually along the lines of "don't let the door hit you in the ass!" But last night I was looking for the BoA source machine and asked in trade what the item was called and were it was. I literally had someone walk me to the correct vendor and tell me what the item was after three other people told me in trade.

A side note tho id did try out Rift when it was flavor of the month. Months later i was dragged back into WoW and forgot about Rift. Probably two weeks into 4.3 i was fed-up with the game. So i came back to Rift and haven't really looked back. I recently dabbled in the MoP beta and i think im starting to realize that WoW is just not the game for me anymore. I could right a book on why i feel that way but i think ill stop here.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Which means what, exactly? How does that change the fact that the OP was able to ask questions in general chat and receive answers in general chat, without feeling like there were idiots out to cause harm?

If you want to respond to the OP and discuss Rift, go right ahead, but if you can't even bring up Rift or Trion in your response, you're really just discussing WoW on a Rift forum, which is neither the intent of this subforum, or a conversation that furthers the discussion.

Apologies if I sound like a jerk, I just don't want to see another thread closed because people get defensive for their non-Rift MMO.
    The original OP is the one to bring up wow first. If he didn't want to discuss the difference between the two he shouldn't have compared them himself.

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 09:40 PM ----------

Try joining the 1-29 chat some time.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    The original OP is the one to bring up wow first. If he didn't want to discuss the difference between the two he shouldn't have compared them himself.
    Offering some background or comparison is absolutely fine: "In Rift I've noticed... but when I used to play WoW...." Forum posts that cannot even provide a reference to Rift or Trion are not: "In WoW, what happens is..." Do you see the difference? This is the RIFT subforum. WoW discussions, explanations or defenses don't belong here.

I'm up for discussions that can compare personal experiences, but if they're not using Rift as the basis for discussion, the thread belongs in the Video Game forum, and not this one.

I reckon I see 'anal' jokes in chat about once a month, usually it's 80% people in my guild who are bored on farm content though.

I'd say the mid-core to serious raiding community is definitely much more mature than WoW.
    I'm 20 and I've only met 3 raiders younger than myself in 12 months play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Offering some background or comparison is absolutely fine: "In Rift I've noticed... but when I used to play WoW...." Forum posts that cannot even provide a reference to Rift or Trion are not: "In WoW, what happens is..." Do you see the difference? This is the RIFT subforum. WoW discussions, explanations or defenses don't belong here.

I'm up for discussions that can compare personal experiences, but if they're not using Rift as the basis for discussion, the thread belongs in the Video Game forum, and not this one.
    So it's ok as long at it's promoting rift and bashing wow?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Still a worthless game.

<Mod Edit: Please post constructively>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-04-16 at 02:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Still a worthless game.
    Then why are you here?

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    So it's ok as long at it's promoting rift and bashing wow?
    The exact opposite would be fine as well, so long as it doesn't come off like trolling. For example,

The one thing I miss from Warcraft is the storytelling. Say what you will about how they broke lore, but Warcraft had memorable characters and blah blah blah. Do you think Trion will ever start focusing more on a storyline and build characters that are truly memorable?

That would be a perfectly fine discussion to have. Some might post and say they disagree, that Rift is full of story so long as you know where to look. Others might agree with the OP of that thread. What isn't okay is posting in that thread and talking solely about Warcraft, it's lore, and the pros and cons of the direction Metzen has taken it.

If it doesn't specifically relate to Rift, it doesn't belong in this forum. Cool?

Now please lets stop. I don't want to get busted for thread drift, and I'd prefer everyone stick to the forum they have the most to contribute to.

sometimes it seems so

But I played for awhile, and while yes I saw alot of Maturity. I saw plenty of childishness just like in WoW. They are in all games I think the people that just gotta be the center of attention.

IMO...it's just you. I've seen plenty of dipshits in every MMO that I have played: EQ2, Rift, WoW, UO, DDO, Warhammer. Maybe I just attract them, I dunno. I would only say that WoW seems to have more because it has a larger playerbase...similar to how Windoze seems to have more people with virii because they have a larger marketshare.

IMO, again, all MMOs will have a plethora of dipshits. It's the razor's edge of internet anonymity: no repercussions for actions gives people free reign to behave in the manner that they really want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it doesn't specifically relate to Rift, it doesn't belong in this forum. Cool?
    Again then tell the to the OP who was the first to compare rift with wow. The reply you got amde about talking about WoW was replying specificly to the topic the OP started.

If you don't approve of a post for whatever reason report it. It's not your job to call people on what they should and shouldn't be posting in a discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Depends on the server and somewhat the faction but 1-29 chat is usually a good place to fill your ignore list
    This. While I love Wolfsbane, it's exceptionally busy server and people tend to help each other out. The 1 - 29 chat is terrible.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

To be honest, it's the internet.
    You get all types everywhere, no place is perfect.