Deleted

How to change my default drive without having windows on it.

Hello, I just got a new computer, or actually my friend did. I'm writing this from his computer right now. So we have a slight problem:

He has a 90gig SSD where he wants to have important programs and games on but all of the windows librarys like video, picture and music is and we're basicly wondering if there's any way to put this on his 1TB D: drive without having windows on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    does he want windows on the SSD?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Yes, he wants to have windows on it but still have the librarys and all of that on the 1TB one.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can right click the default libraries, go to Properties and disassociate, or add folders of your choice to that library. In other words. Create the folder you want on your 1TB, copy/paste the stuff you want in it. Then go to the library itself, right click, remove the existing folders Windows uses, and associate that new folder to the library.

You can also create new Libraries, and use the same process to go about associating your folders to that library.

It's a pretty straight forward process. Let me know if you have issues.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Try this: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windo...size/2941?pg=2

Edit: skylla05 pretty much covered everything in the article I just linked that is relative to your question, but the guide has some other helpful tips you might wanna read through.

So map them all to the other drive.

Right click/Properties on each library.

Deleted
    Not nessecary but is it possible to also make programs be defaultly installed on my second harddrive?

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Not nessecary but is it possible to also make programs be defaultly installed on my second harddrive?
    I haven't tried doing this for a long time (Win2000 and XP days). There are ways, but for some reason I vaguely remember running into issues, or at the very least, headaches. It might be easier, or better in Win7, not sure.

What I do now, is just change C to D (or whatever your drive is). It's easy enough.

Quick Google search. Scroll down to post 8.

Be wary of adjusting registry settings, you can literally destroy your computer if you mess up. I can't verify the validity of this page.

http://www.intowindows.com/change-de...ndows-7-vista/
    Last edited by skylla05; 2012-04-13 at 06:12 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Deleted
    I have one more question actually, when I install programs on my HDD they don't appear when I search for them in the start menu, is there any way to make this happen?