Ivy Bridge worth wating for??

So I'm planning on building a new rig in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering what peoples opinions are about Ivy Bridge. From what I've read, it seems the only significant improvement you will see with Ivy Bridge is reduced power consumption and graphics processing. But if I'm planning on having a stand-alone graphics card, I cant see that as a worth while improvement.
    Also, from the reports I've seen, they'll be released for roughly the same price as Sandy Bridge processors are going for now, so do you think we'll see a bit of a price drop in current processors?

Any input would be appreciated.

Deleted
    Both yes and no. If you want to do extensive overclocking it doesn't seem to be worth it (unless you want to get a custom loop). Performance per core comparing SB to IB is anything from 7-14% reportedly. You can get a Sandy Bridge CPU up to 4.6-4.7GHz fairly easily on air. With IB, it doesn't seem that easy. The 3570k is equal to a 4.7GHz 2500k at around 4.5GHz.

Bottom line: upgrade when you need to. There's always new hardware on the horizon to wait for.

Deleted
    Well as Marest admits, there will be noticeable improvements even if you don't care about the graphics and the lower power consumption.

As for
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    There's always new hardware on the horizon to wait for.
    that's true but there are differences, sometimes the new HW is 6months+ away and sometimes it's just around the corner (now) which I assume would be worth the wait.

Still though, if you are in a rush then upgrade away, IB won't exactly change your life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Still though, if you are in a rush then upgrade away, IB won't exactly change your life.
    Because of the temperature issue at higher clocks/Vcore, some early testers have flat out recommended people to pick the 2500k instead of the 3570k. The benefits doesn't seem to be that great.

Although, the extra ~7% or so ber clock is nice and if the OP can wait and cares little about overclocking IB seems to be the way to go.

As far as time crunch, I just want it ready by mid May in time for D3. Overclocking isn't a huge factor, but if I can get better performance from an OC'd sandy bridge vs ivy bridge I'll certainly take it into consideration. Also, do you suspect that the price of SB will fall with the release of IB?? I've been out of the hardware loop for a while and don't know if things like this follow that trend.
    Thanks again for the input.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Seems weird that heat density all of a sudden rears its ugly head at 22nm. Maybe it has something to do with the tri-gate '3D' transistors? Ivy Bridge obviously isn't putting out more heat than Sandy Bridge, just more heat per area.

I'm beginning to get the suspicion that Intel is starting to hit a physical wall with component size. Things start acting weird when you get small enough (for example gold stops conducting electricity and turns green) and maybe around 22nm is the limit for transistors.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so. Their scientists would have seen the issue long before and warned them about it...and if it truly was an issue then the plan for 16-11-8nm transistors would be in great jeopardy. I think what people need to understand is a temperature reading of 90C doesn't really mean much in the long run. The chip isn't actually producing more heat than a 2600K. It's just that the heatsink/heatpreader is having a tough time drawing the heat away from a much denser processor core.

My suspicion is that Ivy Bridge's overclocking issues actually have very little to do with the high core temps being measured.

Is there a chance that the system could bluescreen from one of those temperature spikes seen by preview testers?

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Seems weird that heat density all of a sudden rears its ugly head at 22nm. Maybe it has something to do with the tri-gate '3D' transistors? Ivy Bridge obviously isn't putting out more heat than Sandy Bridge, just more heat per area.
    Well, there's a notably greater heat development per mm^2, and this surface is overall really small. Overclocking 22nm with the same voltage as 32nm is clearly going to produce more temperature in the first place for that reason alone.

I'm in the same boat as you OP. After reading through this thread : http://www.overclock.net/t/1242711/t...erboard-review I think I'm going to go with the SB because I plan to OC.

But, the Ivy Bridge right out of the box is better than the SB, so if you don't plan to OC I would go with the Ivy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorta in the same spot as you OP and dercaderca. Glad I came across this thread. I think I'll go with the Ivy now due to the fact that I don't really plan on over clocking. Unless of course the Sandy falls in price a HUGE amount below the Ivy's, then I might go with Sandys simply due to budget. I think they may fall in price because I've noticed a lot of sites that build computers (to user customization) have been having a lot of "deals" where you get a free upgrade to one step higher in terms of processor, so they're trying to squeeze out a little more profit before then.
    Last edited by jries; 2012-04-14 at 01:07 PM.

Add me on LoL: jries
    Add me on XBL: jries1

I think it may actually be worthwhile to keep your shirts on. The new LucidVirtu is apparently supposed to be pretty darn good, so I'd keep tabs on that at least and see how it plays out.

Wasn't it supposed to include something like an adaptive vsync as well? Or something.