Leveling a profession this late

Hi guys, first post, long time lurker though . Anyways, at this point in the expansion how expensive do you think it would be to level blacksmithing
    ? Through all my chars I say i have about 12k gold. Also, my hunter already has mining so what could i go with as the second professsion for my pally? Or should i just pick up herb/alch so i have it all? Im not too worried about perks i know theyre all pretty even and im not a huge min/maxer but im OCD about having to have 2 professions up to 525 as i think ill be making my paladin my main. Thank you.

Deleted
    "Warcraftprofessional" website gave me a good indication (though not 100% accurate) about the costs for leveling professions. Keep in mind that most professions give about equal bonusses, but can differ a lot in difficulty to reach max skill. If you are just doing it for the bonus, I'd suggest pick the cheapest/easiest. If you try to make money out of it, it might be usefull to combine gathering with crafting to make maximum profit. This however depends on playstyle as well.

Thanks for that site and from the looks of it I'm just gonna go herb/alch, both jewelcrafting and blacksmithing are still rediculous to level i thought it would be toned down by now.

Deleted
    power levelled most of the profs and ya looking around 10\15k to do this,enchanting cost me nearer 40k haha.

Only worth it if ya want to make gold from them by AH trading if ya want em for a little gold and for the stats just farm the mats or gather ect to level.

Why do you need that profession, making gold, or stats. If first one even though JC is expensive it's also very profitable. Alchemy is okish too. But if you go for stats my suggestion would be inscription, because a) you don't have to grind shoulder rep and b) you can actually sell most of the stuff you make compared to other professions who only turn a profit at max level.
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." Muhammad Ali

i powerlvld my paladin blacksmithing from 0 to 400 alone for the gloves/bracers socket
    and it costed me around 13000g ( bought it all from ah ofc )
    twisting nether horde side incase ur wondering

10+ Year Old Account
    JC Blacksmith is best for min maxing.

You get more slots for gems, and 3 really good gems.

If you have Herbalism on an alt, or are willing to buy herbs through the AH: Inscription + Alchemy makes for an easy to level combo and they are both solid raiding professions. You can even go Herbalism + Inscription initially and farm the mats you need to level Alchemy and make the switch from Herbalism to Alchemy later on.

@Kouki, if you are really min-maxing (using only epic gems) JC is the worst crafting profession you can have (the JC only gems only give 17 extra stats over epic gems, making the total bonus only 51 stats). Blacksmithing/Tailoring or Blacksmithing/Engineering are the best combos, depending on class (cooldown length) and wether or not you use a trinket with an On Use effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Blacksmithing/Tailoring or Blacksmithing/Engineering are the best combos, depending on class (cooldown length) and wether or not you use a trinket with an On Use effect.
    That still depends on personal preference as well. Like you said the CD's value depends a bit on class and also on players ability to time them properly. I went Enchant/Alch on my feral druid partly because I favored passive always on boosts vs CD's as a class and because druids tend to have so many abilities to fit on their bars that finding room for even more CD's is a pain. That and mixology was a bit of a cash saver with double length flasks. I wouldnt recomend enchanting if starting from scratch though, its a pain to farm mats and they are expensive to buy, minerals, leather, and to a lesser extent herbs tend to run much cheeper. I had enchant since BC so leveling it was never an issue and alch took less than a day to gather the herbs on my own and then power grind.

Who is John Galt?

It isn't so bad to level professions provided you farm the mats yourself. Of course that takes more time but I find it less annoying than being exploited every time I "need" a mat from ah and the quantity isn't enough to keep the price reasonable.

I like filling up a guild tab or two with all my mats needed to level in order so I can just blow through 1-525 myself. It's fun to have everything available and level in a few hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaatuu View Post
    enchanting cost me nearer 40k haha.
    Whaa? Hell no. I did it on my first toon while I leveled, disenchanting all the drops and rewards as I went. Was basically free.

Is there good profit in just having gathering proffesion on your char.??

Why the rush? You say you have a hunter with mining why not farm the mats you need to level JC or BS?

You have 3 to 4 months to do it before MoP hits.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    Whaa? Hell no. I did it on my first toon while I leveled, disenchanting all the drops and rewards as I went. Was basically free.
    I'm sure he is talking ab out power leveling.

Now is a good time because mats are a bit cheaper this late in the expansion. However, if you're powerleveling, it'll still be expensive. Alch is nowhere near as bad but yes, Eng/BS is still best min maxing for many classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just think how annoying it is gonna be when MoP comes out and we have to farm all the mats for the professions we pick if you make a new character. Have to farm all materials from every expansion so far and the new materials coming in MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just farm, you have Mining already.
    It's cheaper yes it might take longer, but it costs nothing.
    For instance my LW is at 460 with my druid, I haven't spent a cent to level it, everything was farmed and it really doesn't take long.
    Get all professions maxed out before MoP.

The end of an expansion is always the best time to level a profession. Mat costs are at their lowest.

Deleted
    What Dexx said about it being the cheapest time to level one now.
    Ive read your post and I still dont understand it....

Whats the full list of your professions.

What are you hoping to achieve, bonuses or money making?

You should have mining and herbalism to supply your crafting professions.

I would not use the cost of the profession to level as the guiding light as the money can be made back easily. The only profession which is a bit different is engineering which has never been the best money maker, although its improved.

Professions complement other professions, but soemtimes you dont need the profession for makin money if you have a decent guild with decent crafters.

The time to level would be now. The time to make money is at the beginning of the expansion.