Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Warlord Zon'ozz Question

My guild is 3/8H in 10M so far and this week we will be making attempts on Heroic Warlord Zon'ozz for the first time. I was just curious how much damage the Claw does during the black phase? Can it be tanked by our Feral Cat DPS or should I (Blood DK) tank both the boss and Claw?

The claw does very little damage. You should tank it at the same time as Zon'ozz when he moves to the highest threat person. Also, it should nearly be dead by the time Zon'ozz stops doing his dance in the center.

You should be just fine tanking both the claw and the boss. My guild did this fight with way too many melee and the claw kept beating on me almost until the orb came back and we still downed him. Just make sure you have the boss pointed in a good direction when he comes over to you after his dance.

Since even tanks do a fair amount of damage, simply tank the boss next to the claw and go dps the claw. There is no point in standing in the middle and wainting for the others to get the tentacles down.

Deleted
    u should tank both, cat will probably have to switch to bear form, which will be lost of dmg and u can tank both without any problem when kitty can help on flails/eyes or just stand behind boss and cleave it with claw if u dont have combat rogue...

The tank goes to the claw and starts to build up threat, and then boss will follow you to the claw after 5~ seconds. Have another dps help you on the claw, preferrable a combat rouge or arms warrior for sweet cleave.

Just to clarfy as well, the claw should be the lowest prio to kill in the black phase. The only reason it needs to be tanked is because it does an ooze spit if noone is within melee range which is a raid wiper. It's pretty trivial to tank though.

1st of all yes have the rank tank it bring no more than 2 melee ever 2 is too much 3 healers have 1 of the melee healer heal the grp taking the the tenticals at the back of the room and you should be fine
    but as i said have the tank tank the claw and the boss as u need as much dps as u can get on the other tenticals

just make a set of teams that go kill the tendrils.
    flayers are prio 1 to kill because of the debuff the give
    beeing a rogue myself i'm staying on the boss 100%
    when the boss absorbs the ball everyone goes to kill there designated mob and then return to the bigg claw and ofcourse stacking up again.
    when the boss is doing his i'm mad bro dance in the middle have your tank go to the claw and have him start tanking it.
    the boss will move to him anyway after the dance.
    also where doing 9 stacks first and 5 afterwards
    mostly we end the fight with a hugup and hero the last 10% or so without killing tendrils
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

We run with 3 melee so two of them go so the north side with a healer then the tank is on the claw with the combat rogue cleaving (dead 3/4 way through phase). I (resto druid) LB+Rejuv (pre black) the tank swiftmend the ranged group and then pop tranquility and I never worry about the tank will usually let LB bloom and that will do enough to keep him 75%+ the entire time.

But to really answer your question it does about 80k DPS according to our logs even everyone stacked in center instead of on the claw (miscommunication).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to disagree with most comments here, as once outside the black phase, the only threat the claw has is melee. "Organic" cleave, so long as it kills the claw before your NEXT black phase, is just fine without anyone targeting the claw when they could be hitting Zon'ozz. DoT classes or arms warrior/combat rogues should make short work of it with the fewest GCDs possible to maximize time DPSing the boss.

And you should be just fine tanking it with the boss, even if he has a few stacks of FA and it's still alive. At least, if you're fine without the claw.

When we get to the "zerg/burn phase" on the 4th black phase should the entire raid stack in melee range or should everyone stay in the positions that they are normally in?

Quote Originally Posted by Sflame View Post
    When we get to the "zerg/burn phase" on the 4th black phase should the entire raid stack in melee range or should everyone stay in the positions that they are normally in?
    The entire raid should stack where the claw will spawn (but melee, ofc). Your tank will have to be there anyways, because the claw has to be tanked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

You have to tank the claw (yes during the burn). You can have the tank just going off by himself to tank the claw or you can move the entire raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sflame View Post
    You definitely want to stack BUT you may find it easier to kill the flails before stacking. We tried stacking and zerging the last black phase but there was just a bit too much damage going out so now we kill the flails and by the time we are running back to stack on the boss he is back at the claw (which our tank picks up.) With the flails dead and the claw tanked the eyes will do occasional damage but it's easily healed through with everyone stacked. We typically burn the final 30% with this method and just have the tank face the boss into an open area for the void ball spawn but as nobody is bouncing it at that point it just floats around while we finish off the boss.

Tank both, it barely tickles. As a blood DK, just HS the boss and the claw should be pretty much dead on its own. If you have a rogue just have the rogue cleave the boss too.

Here is a quick vid on it, you can see people running off to kill the eyes/flails, you can pretty much ignore the Claw as tank/melee cleave will kill it anyway, it has little health.

By now your dps should be such that when he runs to the middle on the 4th Black nuke phase, just have your tank sit ont he claw, and everyone kill the boss in the middle, hes on so little health at this point that he won't run back to the tank before he is dead =)

As long as all the adds die before the next ball comes out then you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorim View Post
    By now your dps should be such that when he runs to the middle on the 4th Black nuke phase, just have your tank sit ont he claw, and everyone kill the boss in the middle, hes on so little health at this point that he won't run back to the tank before he is dead =)
    That's definitely not what happened to us on our first couple kills(Pre-nerfs, though). I wouldn't rely on that statement too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

10+ Year Old Account
    3 groups for black phase.

group 1: Ranged/Melee/Healer go to behind where the boss normally stands. Ranged takes out Eye, melee takes out Flail, then helps finish Eye, then the group moves to boss to finish claw.

group 2: ranged/melee/tank/healer go to where the claw spawns. Tank immediately picks up Claw so it isn't fucking people up. We put one ranged on the eye to the left (facing the stalk) and the melee on the Eye on the right. After melee kills eye, he cleaves claw/zonozz.

group 3: ranged/melee/healer go to in front of where the boss normally stands. Ranged takes out furthest eye, then closer eye. Melee takes out flail and helps finish off eye.

Keep the boss where the claw spawned when you go back to white phases. Have your ranged group up in the center of the pool (where the boss stands before pull) and bounce the ball that way.

4th Black Phase - Use lust at about 30% (which is close to where he should be when you're going for the last black phase. Everyone initially stacks where Zon'ozz does his dance except for the tank who picks up the claw. Cycle raid cooldowns. When the boss is done dancing, the group all follows him to the claw to finish him off.

We ignore all adds in the last black phase and just burn Zon'Ozz.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    That's definitely not what happened to us on our first couple kills(Pre-nerfs, though). I wouldn't rely on that statement too much.
    That's exactly whats happened to us ever since 15% nerf. He dies maybe 5 seconds after getting back to the tank after he is done dancing.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Deleted
    You should tank it. At some point the boss will come to you, just tank both and possibly cleave a bit with Blood Strike. Also I think the druid will die if he is in cat form, a melee swing on a non-tank + the dmg from the black phase can be quite fatal.