10+ Year Old Account

I want to buy a GTX 680 but....

I'm not sure if my computer is compatible/ I have enough power supply.

To start, it's an Alienware R3 that I got as a gift about 2 years ago.

Here's the specs (if I miss anything, just google Alienware R3)

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.9GHz
    Power Supply: Alienware™ 875 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB x4 for 16 gigs (I upgraded it myself about 2 months ago)
    Chipset: Intel® P67 Express Chipset w/ Unlocked BIOS for Overclocking, CPU Socket 1155
    GPU: 2x Nvidia 460 GTX w/ SLI

Once again, it's a stock Alienware R3 so you can probably any tech specs you need on line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Since the 2600K has only been out for a year, the spec you found on their site isn't the same spec as the one in your system.
    My computer properties says this :
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

It will work just fine, but you'll only gain 20-40% higher fps from the upgrade so it might not be worth the money spent. Of course on games that do not support SLI at all you'll see massive difference.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It will work just fine, but you'll only gain 20-40% higher fps from the upgrade so it might not be worth the money spent. Of course on games that do not support SLI at all you'll see massive difference.
    Alright, thanks.

It doesn't matter, I just got one and put it in my Intel Pentium E2160 @ 1.80Ghz. Works perfect.

Please try to be constructive when posting. ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2012-04-16 at 04:15 AM.
    Rabadaba skeebie dee doo diddle doo dah

Deleted
    http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/
    Find CPU and motherboard your computer has and add GTX 680. Click "add to virtual PC" on them and it should count estimated value of power usage. I got 453W for those but the parts werent exactly those you listed (ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 as motherboard etc).

Quote Originally Posted by LolretKJ View Post
    Alright, thanks.
    It will work fine, a good rule of thumb is if you're running a SLI system and changing to a single card system, you can probably safely assume its enough power to work >;D

Also any motherboard that isnt from 2004 or so will have pci-e(2.0) and so can run about any gfx on the market.
    Sickly Holy paladin - Auchindoun EU

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah your PSU is way more then a 680 would need and yeah you would see improvements in games that doesn't support SLI cards. One more thing your probably not going to find a GTX 680 anytime soon they don't have enough for the demand. I would just hold off for now untill the next generation after this one like the 7XX or 8XXXHD.

Your computer can handle a GTX 680 just fine. Youre g2g!

The amount of RAM you have is a waste though.
    Last edited by Sicarius87; 2012-04-15 at 09:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    yeah your PSU is way more then a 680 would need and yeah you would see improvements in games that doesn't support SLI cards. One more thing your probably not going to find a GTX 680 anytime soon they don't have enough for the demand. I would just hold off for now untill the next generation after this one like the 7XX or 8XXXHD.
    Are you being serious?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    Are you being serious?
    Yeah the 460tix2 is a pretty good setup I mean I don't know what monitor he is running or if he is running 3 monitors or anything but what he has now is pretty solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You necro'd a 2 and a half year old thread...I don't even know how you managed to do that with such a random topic...

EDIT: Just noticed all the other posts. Clearly a troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this, as said it's old. Also please refrain from calling people out. Reporting threads is good enough.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab