Poll: Should they be considered a form of art?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can argue that anything is an art form, since what art is is debatable in itself. If an artist says it's art is usually all it takes. So here's an advice for you, since I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to argue something similar, look for a similar paper from a trustworthy source and list is in the references (use quotes where applicable) = +100 credibility.

Also your poll might be just slightly biased lol, asking if games are art on a gaming forum.
    Last edited by Linaver; 2012-04-17 at 01:05 AM.

I think the concept of a video game isn't art but it's made by artists. A video game needs musicians, painters and sculptors (or whatever they call the people who make the 3d game models) and programmers although i'm not sure if programming is considered an artform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good programming can be an art form

Quote Originally Posted by Maleborgia View Post
    I think the concept of a video game isn't art but it's made by artists. A video game needs musicians, painters and sculptors (or whatever they call the people who make the 3d game models) and programmers although i'm not sure if programming is considered an artform.
    It is an art form, you take art classes to learn it, and you take creative control to represent an emotional message with it. That's what art is it, video games are art, just a new form of art.

Good video games can be better art than a lot of the movies, music, books, etc. coming out these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    It depends on the video game, video games with a story or meaning deeper than just playing the game are a form of art. Heck there are 'art' teams working on graphics and such which is art. Art on a non-visual level should have meaning.
    Why would it depend on the game? I'd think if one game is a form as art shouldn't they all be? I know it's all up to ones opinion on the matter but I'd consider Pole Position or the original Donkey Kong(the one featuring Mario and DK tossing barrels at him) as much as a form of art as I would ME2 or Skyrim.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes I believe they are a form of art. Just like a book is art, the story told in a video game is art. The art of a story.
    The graphics and design in video games are an art. The art of, well, art.
    The sounds, music, lyrics if any, voice overs, everything we hear, the art of sound and music.

Deleted
    Some video games have extremely good stories and/or elaborate and deep universes that trash the other mediums.

Not to mention music.