Steam and Proxy.

Hey everyone, I've recently gotten in to MW3 overseas (was personal internet, but slow) and I've been wanting to play it more often from where I'm studying (Sydney Uni).

Anyway, I noticed that my Steam doesn't work through the uni internet (live in dorm) - I've searched a bit and found that Steam just doesn't work in proxy settings? Does anyone have a way around it or have the same problem and solved it?

I can get into MW3 and WoW, no problem. It's the unavailability of Steam that's getting to me since I can't update or check out any new offers.

Would love some help since the uni internet is my only source of internet so far. It's gonna be such a bother to take my laptop out to some sort of public wifi (probably gonna be so slow to update/download games through Steam) or to an internet cafe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your only solution to this is to talk to the guy who manages the networking in your uni & tell him to open the ports to access Steam/make a workaround, since you said you couldn't get your own internet.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Your only solution to this is to talk to the guy who manages the networking in your uni & tell him to open the ports to access Steam/make a workaround, since you said you couldn't get your own internet.
    Would that be possible to be targeted individually perhaps? Have a bad feeling they aren't the type to allow, but I will ask though - might just rename it to some sort of media program.

Yeah, I don't think I can get my own private line. They sent out an email a week ago saying that anyone caught using a wireless router with the university network would get disconnected or something - basically it's not allowed. Meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Renaming isn't going to change anything.

That's why I always investigate the networks of any college home/university home before applying for them, when they're having that sort of security I'm staying the hell away from them.

Talk to the network guy, tell him it's your hobby and you spend most of your time using the program.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory