View Poll Results: Does he deserve all the weeks for cheating on the test?

Voters
454. This poll is closed
  • He Deserves it!! He Cheated!

381 83.92%
  • He does totally not deserve it!

73 16.08%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    This thread just goes to show how it doesn't really matter how old you are, some people just never grow up.

Also, sweeping up a class room is better than getting expelled.
    So much this. I think in the Netherlands schools/teachers get the right to discipline their students for faulty behaviour, to a certain extent.

So beatings, excessive punishment and verbal abuse are not allowed. But when you start school basically as a student you accept that you can be disciplined for incorrect behaviour.

Now, personally, I would have failed him for the test, full stop and give him 1 week's detention/cleaning the classroom. But letting him resit the test is already super lenient.

So yeah, tell your friend to suck it up. It's not like 15-20 minutes a day that it takes to clean a classroom will kill him, nor is it child-labour or in any way illegal.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    I dont know whats all the hate about cheaters I mean come on if someone is smart enough to cheat without getting caught sure go ahead it makes school life a lot easier.
    Bullshit.

The whole purpose of the mandatory schooling system in the West is for you to acheive a minimum set of knowledge of how the world works.

People in previous centuries and other cultures would have killed (and do kill) to get that opportunity.

By cheating, you throw away your potential. Your life is a lie, your purported "smarts" are a lie, and you are better off simply drugging yourself with your ennui on the street corner begging productive and useful members of society for their non-forthcoming assistance.

Either that, or you have a future in politics.

In short - cheaters piss me off, and yes, this kid got off easy. I would have failed him for the course (and I have done so before).

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, by U.S. standards at least, it is probably okay. A lot of school districts/teachers would have failed him immediately. It is actually more productive your teacher's way because he continues learning in the course and is punished in a meaningful way.

I'd stop at 6 weeks though. That seems enough at this point.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know whats all the hate about cheaters I mean come on if someone is smart enough to cheat without getting caught sure go ahead it makes school life a lot easier.

Same here.
    Teaching children that it's OK to cheat as long as you're good enough to avoid getting caught is the wrong message to be sending. Plus, it's pretty damn obvious when kids are cheating. I don't know why the teachers in my schools didn't call students out on it more, because I'd see it happening all the time. Contrary to what the kids thing, the teachers aren't that dumb and they know what's going on in their classrooms. I think maybe the whole zero tolerance policies implemented by schools make teachers reticent to enforce the no cheating policies because they know they'd have to completely fail the student or even expel them. In that sense, it's good that the teacher in the OP was able to find a punishment that was harsh enough to send a message (the work involved isn't harsh, but the time spent will get the kid's attention) without being so harsh as a fail grade or expulsion.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Same here.
    The point of school isn't to try and make it as easy as possible. I don't hate cheaters, they hate themselves. They might not realize it, but it's the end result. All they're really doing is in the end is shortchanging themselves.

And besides, "makes school life a lot easier"? Really? Please tell me about how difficult school life is. I'm sure it's just oh so terrible and that I should feel pity for you.

Please be trollin', son.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    so you he got detention for cheating on a test and you he thinks that this is unfair ?
    Tell you know for free, if you he cheats at somthing later on in life you he could possibly get a lot worse than having to clean a class room for 6 weeks.

you He should just accept the fact that you he got caught cheating and this is the punishment for it. may be in future you he will think twice about cheating.
    Hahaha that made me lol hard so true!

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    get punished yes, he cheated...he could have gotten away with it and may have contiuned to cheat on more important tests later in life...

P

Nothing wrong with that, he'll crash alone one day when he has to do something he has no clue about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suff View Post
    welll he obv shouldnt have cheated, but making him clean the room is just as sillly
    Because getting expelled is so much better haha.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    a zero at university sometimes equals to expulsion, coz of low tolerance of failing.
    I'm pretty sure almost all U.S. universities allow one or two "academic forgiveness" semesters to bring your GPA up or have some other means to deal with it.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    your friend can simply tell the boss of your school (whatever he/she is called in ye country) about what happened.
    of course he deserves the worst note for cheating, but being forced to do ANY physical labourwork for punishment is wrong and illegal.

another possibility for your friend is to tell the cause his parents.

A detention that involves some sort of service to the school or community through helping clean up (clean chalkboards, sweep, pick up litter, etc) is not unusual for punishment. The idea behind a service punishment is the person is working to make amends for what they did wrong, balancing out the impact of the negitve action with positive ones.
    It's a better punishment in my opinion then many of the alternitives the teacher had, such as impacts to your friends permant record, a detention that just involved sitting around being board, and supension. Depending on what someone is assigned to do a community service type punishment gives opportunities to feel proud of the work acomplished, get praise for doing it well, feel useful, gain confidence, and possibly learn new skills. It's also better for self-image in that the person who did something wrong is able to experience that they can do things that are good - this is key for people with a history of poor decisions because they can start to see themselves as the screw-up no one trusts, belives in, or expects much from. Those negitive thoughts result in more negative behaviours and poor decisions.
    So, your teacher is giving your friend a chance to make up for the error, contribute to the school community through being helpful, learning that they are capable of positive actions and not just negitive ones, getting positive reinforcement for a job well done, and interupting/preventing a pattern of behaviour.

On a related subject, volunteer work looks great one ones school record (and on future job resumes), so your friend (and you) may want to offer to keep helping out, perhaps once or twice a week, or look for other options in your school or community for volunteering.

10+ Year Old Account
    why would you get yelled at for cheating? boohoo teacher boohoo. i cheated in middle school and was caught once teacher didn't even speak to me about it just wright me up and the vice principal had a talk with me. i got a school detention and a 0% on it of course. If i got yelled at for just cheating i mean i would of been upset like really its just cheating. wright them up and move on, they'll either learn from it or continue to do it(in my school u get caught 3times and just fail that whole class for that semester quarter). first time cheater will probably not do it again, others will just do it some more. Even kids who got into fights didn't get yelled at for it. I just see no point of being yelled at for it, and the fixing stuff thing is just like wtf? shrug maybe my school wasn't hard on rule breaking.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

This is nothing. Tell your friend to suck it up and consider himself lucky he didn't get spanked by his teacher like I did from grades 7 through 10, regardless of whether I did something wrong or not.

He was very strict.

Made him? I think you left out some details here. Did the teacher give him an ultimatum? I am positive the teacher did not force him to clean the room. Anyway, teacher did right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I'm pretty sure almost all U.S. universities allow one or two "academic forgiveness" semesters to bring your GPA up or have some other means to deal with it.
    I got a 0 on a 5 credit hour course in my University at one point and never made the course up. It resulted in me ending with a 2.97 GPA when I graduated instead of the 3.1ish I probably would have had if I'd never taken that course.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like chickens. Don't you dare judge me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Needalight View Post
    Made him? I think you left out some details here. Did the teacher give him an ultimatum? I am positive the teacher did not force him to clean the room. Anyway, teacher did right.
    He did force him, otherwise he would have given him 1 hour detention for every day he would miss.

I hope your friend doesn't have high hopes for a good job if he has to cheat in 9th grade.

SIX WEEKS? Okay, that's a tad bit extreme. I can understand a week, but not that many.

10+ Year Old Account
    he cheated, got caught and got punished, yes, the teacher was right to do it.. what else should the teacher do? say no-no and pretend it didn't happen?

The teacher did the right thing. Kids are disrespectful enough these days as it is, and this'll just help him on the right way.

People are too quick to spoil children these days.